Digital TV News: Hulu
WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
May 20, 2020 – WarnerMedia has announced that the latest companies to sign on to distribute HBO Max at launch include Altice USA, Cox Communications, Microsoft, National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC), Samsung, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Verizon.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Rich Warren, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Games Console, IPTV, OTT, USA
U.S. sees largest first quarter multichannel subscriptions decline to-date
May 15, 2020 – According to Kagan, initial speculation that TV-hungry, isolated viewers would at least temporarily stem cord cutting in the U.S. was dispelled with the industry's largest first quarter decline for traditional multichannel subscriptions.
News categories: S&P Global, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost about 2,065,000 subscribers in 1Q 2020
May 14, 2020 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 2,065,000 net video subscribers in 1Q 2020, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 1,025,000 subscribers in 1Q 2019.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Beachfront introduces Pod Bidding for Connected TV advertising
Apr 30, 2020 – Beachfront is introducing Pod Bidding for CTV advertising. Beachfront's Pod Bidding is designed to help video publishers construct and auction ad pods ['ad break'-style sequences of ads] while fully supporting de-duplication and competitive separation.
News categories: Beachfront, Frank Sinton, Ben Abbatiello, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, OTT, USA
76% of US broadband households subscribe to an OTT service
Apr 27, 2020 – According to Parks Associates, 76% of US broadband households subscribe to an OTT service, and adoption of online pay-TV services such as YouTube TV, Hulu with Live TV, and Sling TV is now at 12% of US broadband households.
News categories: Parks Associates, Reelgood, Steve Nason, Catharine Burhenne, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
US: 44% with a vMVPD switched from a traditional pay TV service
Apr 3, 2020 – The Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that, of U.S. households that currently have a live streaming vMVPD pay-TV service, 44% switched directly from a traditional pay-TV service, and 26% also have a traditional service.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Kantar releases Entertainment On Demand survey results
Mar 4, 2020 – Kantar's Entertainment On Demand service is designed to help understand the consumer journey for subscription services. It shows that in the U.S. subscription fatigue is not yet a major phenomenon in the video industry.
News categories: Kantar, Dominic Sunnebo, Read Cundiff, Australia, Digital TV, Germany, Japan, Market Research, OTT, UK, USA
Hulu + Live TV launches on PlayStation 4
Mar 3, 2020 – Hulu has announced that Hulu + Live TV will be available on PlayStation 4 consoles. PlayStation 4 users will be able to subscribe to Hulu + Live TV, gaining access to both live and on-demand programming in one place.
News categories: Hulu, PlayStation, Apps, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, USA
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost nearly 5 million subscribers in 2019
Mar 3, 2020 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 4,915,000 net video subscribers in 2019, compared to a pro forma loss of about 1,585,000 subscribers in 2018.
News categories: Leichtman Research Group, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
- WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
- Tru Optik offers cross-device OTT measurement for free
- Bloomberg TV+ 4K UHD channel launches on Samsung TV Plus
- LG transfers TV manufacturing capacity to Indonesia
- Nordija delivers TV and media platform for Telenor Sweden
- Telestream integrates Ad-ID validation to ensure correct ad placement
- AT&T closes DIRECTV Latin America operations in Venezuela
- IFA 2020 to go-ahead as an invitation-only event in Berlin
- A1 Slovenia launches personalized TV with Zappware
- Astro Malaysia makes Ultra Box available to IPTV customers
- COSMOTE TV deploys private CDN with Synamedia
- 67% of US broadband households using at least one connected video device
- FCC to vote on plan to clear the way for ATSC 3.0 internet services
- Eros Now enters Bangladesh in partnership with Allianz Holdings
- Global OTT revenues to reach $167 billion in 2025
- U.S. sees largest first quarter multichannel subscriptions decline to-date
- COVID-19 to have limited impact on telecoms and pay TV spending in 2020
- UK SVOD market to grow 100% over next five years
- 8.2% growth in Smart Speaker sales in Q1 2020 despite COVID-19
- Over half of Americans feel voice control is essential in smart devices