Digital TV News: Hulu
Strong recovery expected for Mexico’s video entertainment market
Jul 31, 2020 – Mexico’s video entertainment market is expected to recover from the impact of COVID-19, with digital video leading the charge and showing strong prospects for growth in 2021, according to Futuresource Consulting.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Joanna Wright, Digital TV, Market Research, Mexico
Safaricom launches Android TV streaming box
Jul 8, 2020 – Safaricom has launched an Android TV box as part of a strategy to bring its fibre service to more homes. The box equips any TV with the capability to stream content from YouTube, Netflix and other Android TV apps.
News categories: Safaricom, Ematic, Peter Ndegwa, Android TV, Digital TV, Fibre, Kenya, Set Top Box
Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
Jul 2, 2020 – According to Dataxis, within a saturating AVOD market, only a few players are standing out in terms of monthly active users: Vudu, Pluto TV, Tubi, and older players such as Hulu, Roku Channel and YouTube.
News categories: Dataxis, Digital TV, Europe, Latin America, Market Research, OTT, USA
U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
Jul 1, 2020 – Parks Associates has announced research showing that the number of hours per week U.S. consumers spend watching online video has almost doubled from 3.6 hours per week in 2017 to nearly seven hours per week in 2020.
News categories: Parks Associates, Dr. Kenneth Wacks, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Netflix, Hulu user numbers fell as COVID-19 measures were relaxed
Jun 25, 2020 – The surge in users of subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) services during the stay-at-home period was not always sustained once people were allowed to move around more freely, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, David Mercer, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Movies Anywhere now available on VIZIO SmartCast TVs
Jun 23, 2020 – VIZIO has added the MOVIES ANYWHERE app to its SmartCast TV platform. MOVIES ANYWHERE offers a way for users to access movies purchased across platforms and digital retailer accounts, all in one place.
News categories: VIZIO, Movies Anywhere, Mike O'Donnel, Karin Gilford, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Disney+ becomes third-largest SVOD provider in the U.K.
Jun 11, 2020 – Just weeks after its launch in the United Kingdom, Disney+ in April emerged as the country's third-largest SVOD player, with 4.3 million subscribers, according to survey data from Omdia.
News categories: Omdia, Maria Rua Aguete, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
23% of U.S. vMVPD subscribers also use a legacy pay TV service
Jun 10, 2020 – Research from TDG finds that nearly one-fourth of virtual pay TV (vMVPD) households in the U.S. also subscribe to a traditional pay-TV service. Dual-service use peaked at 37% of vMVPD subscribers in 2018.
News categories: TDG, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
TCL launches televisions with Android TV in the U.S.
Jun 5, 2020 – TCL has announced that it will offer TCL TVs featuring Android TV in the U.S. Leveraging its years-long mobile device partnership with Google, TCL's new televisions diversify the company's product lineup.
News categories: TCL, Shalini Govil-Pai, Android TV, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
- Synamedia launches addressable advertising solution
- Ten carriers in Germany and Austria choose Ocilion for IPTV
- BluTV DTH launches in Brazil on EUTELSAT 65 West A
- Viya TV+ launches in the US Virgin Islands with Mirada
- OTT TV and video revenues at $83 billion in 2019
- 41.4% of TVs in Latin America are Smart
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 51,000 in 2Q 2020
- Pirate subscription TV services now a billion-dollar U.S. industry
- PAOK FC OTT platform built with Insys Sport on AWS
- SLING TV in-app guide integrates local OTA channels on LG Smart TVs
- Conviva releases State of Streaming Q2 report
- Stay-at-home providing springboard for French SVOD
- Survata announces enhanced CTV measurement suite
- Ofcom releases Media Nations 2020 report
- RADIO.COM expands connected TV footprint with Vewd
- NAGRA multi-DRM selected for Grupo Express OTT service in Argentina
- V-Nova and NETINT collaborate on MPEG-5 LCEVC transcoding
- ViacomCBS to launch connected video ad platform
- Bell Canada releases Android TV 4K HDR streaming box
- ORS chooses 3SS to deliver simpliTV service in Austria