Digital TV News: Institut für Rundfunktechnik
Opera TV works with IRT and BBC on content insertion and media sync for HbbTV
Sep 14, 2017 – Opera TV has announced that it is the first vendor to showcase pan-European support for dynamic content insertion and media synchronization using the latest HbbTV standards. Opera TV will bring these technologies to market in 2018.
News categories: Opera TV, Institut für Rundfunktechnik, BBC, Aneesh Rajaram, Klaus Merkel, Digital TV, HbbTV, IBC2019, UX, Worldwide
Nokia to trial LTE for national TV broadcasting
Jul 29, 2014 – Nokia Networks is working with a range of partners in the world’s first field trial of wide-area TV broadcasting using a single LTE frequency within UHF spectrum.
News categories: Nokia, Hossein Moiin, 5G, Digital TV, Germany, Mobile
IRT and BR to add HEVC to DVB-T2 testbed in Munich
Jul 10, 2014 – Germany's Institut für Rundfunktechnik (IRT) has announced that with Bayerische Rundfunk (BR) it is planning a trial of DVB-T2 broadcasting using HEVC compression. The trial is an extension of the DVB-T2 trial that the companies began in the Munich area in 2010.
News categories: Institut für Rundfunktechnik, Bayerische Rundfunk, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Germany, Terrestrial
Version 1.5 of HbbTV Specification Released
Apr 4, 2012 – The HbbTV consortium has announced the publication of version 1.5 of its hybrid TV specification. Version 1.5 of the HbbTV specification notably introduces support for HTTP adaptive streaming based on the recently published MPEG-DASH specification.
News categories: HbbTV Consortium, Cable TV, Digital TV, HbbTV, Middleware, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial
European Initiative Merges Television with the Power of the Internet
Aug 27, 2009 – A European consortium has announced the launch of 'Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV' or 'HbbTV', an initiative aimed at harmonising the delivery of content to the end consumer through TVs and set-top boxes with an optional web connection.
News categories: Hybrid Broadcast Broadband TV, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, HbbTV, IBC2019, IFA2019, IPTV, Middleware, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial
P2P-Next Project presents world's first video end-to-end streaming distribution
Sep 11, 2008 – P2P-Next, a pan-European conglomerate of 21 partners, has released its first version of NextShare, an Open Source P2P video delivery platform, at IBC 2008. NextShareTV is a set-top box implementation running on low-cost embedded hardware.
News categories: P2P-Next, Broadband, Digital TV, IBC2019, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box
European research project to shape next generation internet TV
Feb 19, 2008 – P2P-Next has received a €14 million grant from the European Union to carry out a research project aiming to identify the potential uses of peer-to-peer (P2P) technology for Internet Television of the future.
News categories: P2P-Next, Austria, Broadband, Digital TV, Europe, Finland, Germany, Israel, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, OTT, Romania, Slovenia, Sweden, UK
- Roku OS 9.2 to begin rollout
- Roku announces new streaming player line-up for UK
- Eros Now to develop online video platform with Microsoft
- FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
- Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
- Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
- Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
- CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
- SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
- Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
- NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
- Vizio adds additional Alexa capabilities to SmartCast TVs
- LIWEST latest Austrian operator to deploy IPTV with Verimatrix and Ocilion
- Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
- TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
- Amazon Prime Video to be made available on Altice One
- NEOTION renews partnership with Irdeto
- Online video viewing to reach 100 minutes a day in 2021
- Irdeto secures Airtel Xstream 4K set-top box
- Netgem and Sharp release smart soundbar for telcos