Digital TV News: KDDI
Fixed broadband subscribers to approach 1 billion in 2019
Apr 9, 2015 – According to Infonetics Research (NYSE: IHS) fixed broadband subscribers grew 8% in 2014, reaching 733 million as service providers continue to steadily add subscribers. Subscriber growth is being driven by FTTH and DOCSIS 3.0.
News categories: Infonetics, Jeff Heynen, Broadband, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers, Worldwide
KDDI and Saffron Digital launch dedicated anime service
Jul 21, 2014 – Saffron Digital has said that it has been selected by KDDI to design and build Anime Pass, a new specialist multi-platform video service, which offers unlimited anime content.
News categories: Saffron Digital, KDDI, Hidenori Shima, Peter Bellamy, Content Distribution, IBC2019, Japan, OTT
Newport Media ISDB-T SoCs Power Phones from Samsung, HTC, LG, Motorola and ZTE
Jun 28, 2012 – Newport Media has announced major design wins at several suppliers of smartphone and feature phone products. In both Latin America and Japan, network operators have selected Newport Media Digital TV enabled phones.
News categories: Newport Media, Digital TV, Japan, Latin America, Mobile, Semiconductor, Smartphone
KDDI launches Video Pass online movie service
May 15, 2012 – KDDI (Tokyo:9433) and Okinawa Cellular have announced the launch of Video Pass. Video Pass movies can be viewed on smartphones, via HDMI from a smartphone to a TV, or on PCs and tablets. An Android-based set-top box is also under development by KDDI.
News categories: KDDI, Okinawa Cellular, Digital TV, Japan, OTT, Set Top Box, Smartphone, Tablet
Mitsubishi STBs Power KDDI On-Demand TV Service Using Espial TV Browser
Mar 15, 2012 – Espial has announced that KDDI (Tokyo:9433) will use the Mitsubishi Electric (Tokyo:6503) ST1100R set-top box and Espial TV Browser, with its HTML5 capabilities, to provide the user experience for a wide range of video-on-demand and IPTV services.
News categories: Espial, Mitsubishi Electric, KDDI, Digital TV, IPTV, Japan, Middleware, Set Top Box
Connected TVs and Smartphones Providing Polar Opposite Challenges for CDNs
Jan 3, 2012 – In the next five years CDNs are going to be faced with the challenge of delivering increasingly large volumes of OTT video. In 2011 Informa expects OTT video will account for 32.6 Exabytes (EB) of network traffic over fixed line broadband in Asia alone.
News categories: Informa Telecoms & Media, Asia, Market Research, Mobile, OTT, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
Japan favours ISDB-Tmm over MediaFLO for mobile TV
Sep 8, 2010 – A government advisory panel in Japan has selected NTT DoCoMo (Tokyo:9437) who proposed the use of ISDB-Tmm, over KDDI (Tokyo: 9433) whose system is based on MediaFLO, to provide a mobile TV service for the country starting in 2012.
News categories: NTT DoCoMo, KDDI, Digital TV, Japan, Mobile, Regulation, Smart TV
DoCoMo Unveils Mobile TV Prototype at Expo Comm Wireless Japan 2010
Jul 15, 2010 – At the Expo Comm Wireless Japan 2010 trade show, DoCoMo (Tokyo: 9437) unveiled the prototype of a device that will allow users to watch video via its 'mmbi' broadcasting service. The service is due for launch in spring 2012.
News categories: DoCoMo, mmbi, Digital TV, Japan, Mobile
J:COM and KDDI to co-operate on STB development
Jun 10, 2010 – J:COM (JASDAQ: 4817), Sumitomo (Tokyo:8053) and KDDI (Tokyo:9433) have agreed an alliance between the three companies. As part of the agreement J:COM and KDDI will develop pilot set-top boxes based on the Android™ operating system.
News categories: KDDI, J:COM, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Japan, Set Top Box
- Live video streaming to have 91 million subscribers by 2024
- Telia Carrier offers direct connectivity for MOBITV streaming TV apps
- Ocean Blue Software releases CI Plus 2.0 Host software stack
- FPT Play selects ATEME for OTT headend in Vietnam
- VIZIO SmartCast TVs to get Chromecast built-in update with Disney+ support
- Edgeware and ENENSYS form alliance
- US telecom and pay-TV service revenue to rise to $419.4bn by 2024
- Swisscom IPTV media streaming box powered by Synaptics
- Mirada interim results for the six months to 30 September 2019
- Kantar and VTION roll out OTT Audience Measurement for India
- iQIYI's watermarking system passes ChinaDRM Lab evaluation test
- Rakuten Viki selects BuyDRM's KeyOS MultiKey Service
- Dish TV India adds 42,000 subscribers in 3Q 2019
- Wurl powers the delivery of Hollywire to Samsung TV Plus
- U.S. traditional video subscribers down nearly 1.9 million in 3Q 2019
- Swisscom Box integrates voice assistant for TV and smart home control
- INNOPIA, Amlogic and Verimatrix offer Netflix-integrated Hailstorm Hybrid platform
- EU cable revenue hits all-time high of €24 billion in 2018
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost 1.74 million subscribers in 3Q 2019
- Disney+ passes 10 million sign-ups since launching