Digital TV News: LG Electronics
RTI introduces driver for IP control of LG Smart TVs
Aug 7, 2019 – RTI has developed a driver for IP control of select 2018 and 2019 LG AI ThinQ TVs, including OLED and select NanoCell models. The driver simplifies the integration of LG TVs into RTI automation and control systems to provide consumers with premium control options.
News categories: RTI Corp, LG Electronics, Ed McConaghay, Joseph Colombo, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
LG rolls out Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit in the U.S.
Jul 30, 2019 – LG has announced that Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit are now available through a firmware update on select LG OLED and NanoCell 4K UHD TVs with ThinQ AI capability in the U.S. LG is the first global TV manufacturer to support HomeKit.
News categories: LG Electronics, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
DVB adds HDR Dynamic Mapping to its AV coding specifications
Jul 10, 2019 – DVB has announced a revision to its specification for the use of video and audio coding in broadcast and broadband applications to include solutions for HDR Dynamic Mapping (DM). The solutions allow a receiver to adapt an HDR video signal to the characteristics of the display.
News categories: DVB Project, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IBC2019, Smart TV, Worldwide
Google leads European Smart Home market in 1Q19
Jul 1, 2019 – In the first quarter of this year, the smart home market in Europe grew 23.9%, reaching 21.3 million units shipped to the region, according to IDC. Video entertainment devices shipped 12.7 million units in 1Q19, increasing 11.2% annually.
News categories: IDC, Antonio Arantes, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV
China TV brands shrug off headwinds in 1Q, says WitsView
May 27, 2019 – According to WitsView, shipments of TV brands worldwide were 49.87 million units in 1Q19, a QoQ slide of 24.6% and a YoY bump of 0.5%. First and second place in the rankings were Korean brands, while China brands filled up third to sixth.
News categories: TrendForce, WitsView, Jeff Yang, China, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
2019 LG AI ThinQ TVs add Amazon Alexa support
May 23, 2019 – LG has begun adding Amazon Alexa support to the company’s 2019 TV models featuring artificial intelligence. The update will be implemented through the Alexa app on 2019 TVs featuring ThinQ AI including LG UHD TVs, NanoCell TVs and OLED TVs.
News categories: LG Electronics, Amazon Alexa, Brian Kwon, Apps, Australia, Austria, Canada, Digital TV, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Smart Home, Smart TV, Spain, UK, USA
Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H audio patents to LG
May 21, 2019 – Fraunhofer IIS has licensed its MPEG-H Audio patents to LG Electronics, allowing LG to produce products based on the standard. The MPEG-H Audio system is specified in TV broadcast standards such as ATSC 3.0 and DVB.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, LG Electronics, ATSC, Digital TV, Europe, Licensing, Patent, USA, Worldwide
Telecentras and LG to introduce HbbTV for Smart TVs in Lithuania
Apr 18, 2019 – The Lithuanian Radio and Television Centre (Telecentras) and LG Electronics have agreed a cooperation aimed at introducing HbbTV intended for smart TVs. The launch of HbbTV in Lithuania is scheduled for the first half of this year.
News categories: Telecentras, LG Electronics, Remigijus Šeris, Digital TV, HbbTV, Lithuania, Smart TV, Terrestrial
Record 7.5 million smart speakers shipped in Europe in 4Q18
Apr 11, 2019 – According to IDC, in the fourth quarter of 2018, the smart home market in Europe reached almost 33 million units, representing 15.1% growth annually. Video entertainment devices shipped 19 million units in the quarter.
News categories: IDC, Antonio Arantes, Jan Prenosil, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum reveals LatAm key findings
- Beeline deploys Kaltura TV Platform in Kazakhstan
- Spearad launches monetization technology for addressable TV and audio
- SmartLabs migrates legacy boxes for StarNet TV in Moldova
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient