Digital TV News: LG
Apple TV+ launches November 1 at $4.99 per month
Sep 10, 2019 – Apple has announced that Apple TV+ will launch November 1 in over 100 countries and regions. Apple TV+ will offer a lineup of original shows, movies and documentaries. The service will be available for $4.99 per month with a seven-day free trial.
News categories: Apple, Zack Van Amburg, Jamie Erlicht, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
Tremor Video brings native ads to LG smart TVs
Sep 10, 2019 – Tremor Video is bringing its leading video advertising platform to webOS smart TVs from LG Electronics. Tremor Video provides entertainment advertisers and apps with highly visible placements that are native to the smart TV experience.
News categories: Tremor Video, LG Electronics, Jay Baum, Matthew Durgin, Advertising, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
Synaptics to show Smart Edge AI media streamer solutions at IBC 2019
Sep 9, 2019 – Synaptics (NASDAQ: SYNA) has announced that at IBC 2019 it will show edge computing demonstrations featuring its Smart Edge AI AudioSmart and VideoSmart SoCs with machine learning AI capabilities that target a new generation of emerging smart home devices.
News categories: Synaptics, Saleel Awsare, Digital TV, IBC2019, ICs, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Worldwide
Xfinity Stream now available on LG TVs
Sep 5, 2019 – Comcast and LG have announced the launch of the Xfinity Stream beta app for 2019, 2018, and 2017 LG Smart TVs. Xfinity Stream allows customers to access Xfinity TV programming without the need to lease a traditional set-top box.
News categories: LG Electronics, Comcast, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, TV Everywhere, USA
MPEG-H Audio added to SBTVD's ISDB-Tb specifications
Aug 27, 2019 – The SBTVD Forum has selected MPEG-H Audio for inclusion as an additional audio system in the ISDB-Tb specification. This allows broadcasters to simulcast MPEG-H Audio alongside the existing AAC audio.
News categories: Fraunhofer IIS, EiTV, ATEME, Adrian Murtaza, Brazil, Digital TV, Latin America, SBTVD, Set Top Box, Smart TV
TV 2 Sumo selects Norigin Media for TV apps
Aug 27, 2019 – TV 2 Sumo has selected Norigin Media to build and launch its TV Apps. The TV 2 Sumo apps will be built across selected large screen devices, including Samsung Smart TVs, LG Smart TVs and PlayStation, with a custom designed user experience created by TV 2 Sumo.
News categories: Norigin Media, TV 2 Sumo, Ajey Anand, Marius Bjerke, Apps, Digital TV, Norway, OTT
LG Uplus adds 92,000 IPTV subscribers in 2Q 2019
Aug 9, 2019 – LG Uplus (KRX: 032640) has announced results for Q2 2019. The company finished the quarter with 4.241 million IPTV subscribers, up 92 thousand over the period, and up 451 thousand (11.9%) versus Q2 2018.
News categories: LG Uplus, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, Results, Subscribers
RTI introduces driver for IP control of LG Smart TVs
Aug 7, 2019 – RTI has developed a driver for IP control of select 2018 and 2019 LG AI ThinQ TVs, including OLED and select NanoCell models. The driver simplifies the integration of LG TVs into RTI automation and control systems to provide consumers with premium control options.
News categories: RTI Corp, LG Electronics, Ed McConaghay, Joseph Colombo, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
LG rolls out Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit in the U.S.
Jul 30, 2019 – LG has announced that Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit are now available through a firmware update on select LG OLED and NanoCell 4K UHD TVs with ThinQ AI capability in the U.S. LG is the first global TV manufacturer to support HomeKit.
News categories: LG Electronics, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
- Pay TV subscriptions exceed 1 billion
- Roku OS 9.2 to begin rollout
- Roku announces new streaming player line-up for UK
- Eros Now to develop online video platform with Microsoft
- FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
- Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
- Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
- Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
- CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
- SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
- Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
- NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
- Vizio adds additional Alexa capabilities to SmartCast TVs
- LIWEST latest Austrian operator to deploy IPTV with Verimatrix and Ocilion
- Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
- TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
- Amazon Prime Video to be made available on Altice One
- NEOTION renews partnership with Irdeto
- Online video viewing to reach 100 minutes a day in 2021
- Irdeto secures Airtel Xstream 4K set-top box