Digital TV News: Liberty Global
Liberty Global and Telefónica to merge UK operations
May 7, 2020 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB, LBTYK) and Telefónica (Madrid: TEF) have agreed to merge their operating businesses in the UK to form a 50:50 joint venture. The combination will create an integrated communications provider with over 46 million subscribers.
News categories: Liberty Global, Telefónica, Mike Fries, Jose Maria Alvarez-Pallete, Cable TV, MnA, Mobile, UK
Telefónica confirms UK merger discussions with Liberty Global
May 4, 2020 – Telefónica has said that in relation to discussions with Liberty Global on a potential integration of their respective telecoms businesses in the UK, Telefónica informs that the process initiated by both parties is in a negotiation phase.
News categories: Telefónica, Liberty Global, O2, Virgin Media, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Mobile, UK
RDK now on more than 60 million devices
Mar 19, 2020 – RDK Management has announced that RDK software now powers more than 60 million devices deployed by service providers around the world. RDK is an open source software platform that standardizes core functions used in broadband, video, and IoT connected devices.
News categories: RDK Management, Steve Heeb, Cable TV, Digital TV, Market Research, RDK, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Liberty extends Netflix partnership in Europe
Feb 10, 2020 – Liberty Global has announced a deal with Netflix that will allow it to continue to offer access to the service in Europe. Liberty Global plans to leverage its broadband networks to provide the streaming content alongside broadcast and on-demand programming.
News categories: Liberty Global, Netflix, Enrique Rodriguez, Apps, Digital TV, Europe, OTT, Set Top Box
FreeWheel launches Video Marketplace Report for Europe
Jan 30, 2020 – FreeWheel has launched a Video Marketplace Report specifically for Europe. The paper shows a continued upward trend in premium video, driving investment in 'growth platforms' such as connected TV and mobile.
News categories: FreeWheel, Thomas Bremond, Advertising, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research
Liberty Global abandons attempt to combine UPC Switzerland with Sunrise
Dec 17, 2019 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB and LBTYK) has announced that it has terminated discussions regarding the combination of UPC Switzerland and Sunrise Communications. The deal was initially announced on February 27, 2019.
News categories: Liberty Global, Sunrise Communications, Mike Fries, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Switzerland
Sunrise terminates plan to buy UPC Switzerland
Nov 13, 2019 – Liberty Global has received a notification of termination from Sunrise Communications regarding the amended Share Purchase Agreement concerning UPC Switzerland. The agreement provides for Sunrise to pay a CHF 50 million termination fee.
News categories: Liberty Global, Sunrise Communications, Mike Fries, Severina Pascu, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Switzerland
Synamedia appoints VP for Advanced Advertising and Data
Aug 27, 2019 – Synamedia has appointed Scott Kewley as VP Advanced Advertising and Data Products. Scott will lead Synamedia’s addressable advertising and data monetization business, building on the firm's collaboration with Sky on its AdSmart platform.
News categories: Synamedia, Scott Kewley, Jean-Marc Racine, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Worldwide
Liberty Global organic video subscriber losses at 54,900 for 2Q 2019
Aug 7, 2019 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB/LBTYK) has announced results for the second quarter of 2019. The company's continuing operations ended the quarter with 8.44 million video subscribers, a reduction of 54,900 on an organic basis in the quarter.
News categories: Liberty Global, Belgium, Cable TV, Digital TV, Ireland, Poland, Results, Slovakia, Subscribers, Switzerland, UK
- SETAR deploys Nordija interactive TV platform in Aruba
- BoFiNet enlists Globecast for OTT service creation in Botswana
- SeaChange leadership extends salary reduction plan
- Growth in TV Panel quotes even higher than expected in July
- DNA selects VisualOn media player for Android TV app
- Mobile to provide 40% of SVOD subscriptions
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- Market turbulence to boost UK digital video market
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert