Digital TV News: MultiChoice
Sub-Saharan Africa pay TV thrives despite falling prices
Jan 16, 2017 – Digital TV Research estimates that three groups will continue to account for 90% of Sub-Saharan Africa’s pay TV subscribers. At end-2016, Multichoice had 11.61 million subscribers, well ahead of StarTimes with 4.18 million and Vivendi with 2.32 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
MultiChoice launches ARRIS HD PVR with HEVC for streaming
Nov 10, 2016 – MultiChoice has launched the DStv Explora 2 decoder from ARRIS (NASDAQ: ARRS) to customers in South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa. Its HEVC technology will reduce the bandwidth needed to stream or download shows.
News categories: ARRIS International, Naspers, Steve McCaffery, Gerdus van Eeden, Africa, Digital TV, Media Player, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
Intelsat 36 begins service for Africa's MultiChoice
Oct 6, 2016 – Intelsat (NYSE: I) has announced that the Intelsat 36 satellite has entered service, providing broadcasting and direct-to-home (DTH) services for Africa’s MultiChoice, the leading DTH platform in South Africa.
News categories: Intelsat, MultiChoice, Brian Jakins, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
Intelsat 36 launch adds DTH capacity for Sub-Saharan Africa
Aug 24, 2016 – Intelsat (NYSE: I) has announced the successful launch of Intelsat 36, designed to enhance Intelsat’s media neighborhoods serving Africa and the Indian Ocean regions. The Ku-band payload was built to support South Africa's MultiChoice.
News categories: Intelsat, MultiChoice, Stephen Spengler, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
Africa Pay TV subscribers to reach 30 million in 2021
Aug 9, 2016 – Pay TV subscribers in Africa will reach 30 million by 2021, up from 16 million in 2015, according to Dataxis. Digital satellite pay TV subscribers are expected to be 20 million in 2021 compared to 8 million for DTT.
News categories: Dataxis, Priscilla Tirvengadum, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
MultiChoice chooses Elemental for delivery of its DStv online service
Nov 11, 2015 – Elemental has announced that MultiChoice is using Elemental for live streaming and video-on-demand (VOD) delivery of its DStv online service, which makes sports and entertainment content available on smart phones and tablets to more than 10 million subscribers in Sub-Saharan Africa.
News categories: Elemental, MultiChoice, John Nemeth, Jean-Pierre Rossouw, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, South Africa
CANAL+ partners with ENENSYS for sub-Saharan Africa DTT rollout
Sep 23, 2015 – ENENSYS has announced that it has been selected by CANAL+ Overseas as a technology partner for the rollout of the broadcaster’s DTT platform in Africa. TNT Africa is designed to work alongside its existing DTH service Les Bouquets Canal+.
News categories: ENENSYS, CANAL+ Overseas, Emmanuel Jacques, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Terrestrial
Pay TV in 21% of TV households in East Africa
Jul 31, 2015 – According to research by Dataxis, in the five countries of the East African Community (EAC), DTT had an overall 53% share of pay TV users, followed by DTH with 43% and the remainder on CATV systems in Kenya and Tanzania.
News categories: Dataxis, Burundi, Cable TV, Digital TV, Kenya, Market Research, Rwanda, Satellite, Subscribers, Tanzania, Terrestrial, Uganda
MultiChoice launches single view DStv HD Decoder
Aug 25, 2014 – MultiChoice has released its first HD single view decoder, the DStv HD Decoder, which will make great HD quality viewing and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound accessible to more DStv customers.
News categories: MultiChoice, DStv, Mark Rayner, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
- Ofcom releases Media Nations 2020 report
- RADIO.COM expands connected TV footprint with Vewd
- NAGRA multi-DRM selected for Grupo Express OTT service in Argentina
- V-Nova and NETINT collaborate on MPEG-5 LCEVC transcoding
- Bell Canada releases Android TV 4K HDR streaming box
- Mongolia's Skymedia upgrades to Minerva 10
- INVIDI extends addressable TV partnership with Tata Elxsi
- Finecast brings audience measurement to Australian BVOD platforms
- SVOD subscriptions grew by 28% in 2019
- ATEME negotiating acquisition of ANEVIA
- Charter residential video customers up 102,000 in 2Q 2020
- QNET Telecom selects ATEME for video transcoding
- Discovery joins On Addressability dynamic ad insertion initiative
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 477,000 in 2Q 2020
- 3SS and Hoppr enable monetization on Android TV
- Liberty Latin America to acquire Telefónica’s operations in Costa Rica
- Amagi delivers 30+ live and linear channels on The Roku Channel
- KDDI selects VisualOn media player for au Smart Pass
- PMG and American Tower partner to accelerate ATSC 3.0 SFN deployment
- Eurofins updates testing services for CI Plus 2.0