Digital TV News: NPD
15% of U.S. households have a DTC channel subscription
Mar 21, 2019 – Driven by the influx of new services, faster in-home broadband speeds, and TV-connected device adoption, Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) channel adoption rates grew three-fold over the last three years to reach 15%t of U.S. households, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
OTT TV market far from being saturated
Jan 16, 2019 – While there’s a limit to how many SVOD services users are ready to pay for, it is far from being reached, according to Ooyala. In fact, that limit may continue to rise, especially as younger consumers grow older.
News categories: Ooyala, Jim O'Neill, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
Hisense shows ULED-powered 2019 product lineup at CES2019
Jan 7, 2019 – Hisense has revealed its 2019 product lineup at CES, debuting Android TV and Roku TV sets that expand Hisense's portfolio. Hisense is the fastest growing TV brand of the top 6 brands in the U.S. according to NPD Group.
News categories: Hisense, David Gold, CES2021, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
Desire for bigger screens driving U.S. replacement TV buying
Dec 20, 2018 – According to NPD, 40% of U.S. consumers who replaced a TV over the last two years were most motivated by a desire to purchase a bigger screen. In fact, 40% of replacement TVs purchased had a screen size of 50+ inches.
News categories: NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
Connected TV and streaming player adoption spurring digital video purchases and rentals
Oct 30, 2018 – According to The NPD Group, as of August 2018, 61 million households in the U.S. had at least one internet-connected TV, video game console, Blu-ray Disc player or streaming media player. As a result more consumers are choosing to rent and purchase digital movies.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Ricardo Solar, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
7% annual growth expected for connected TV devices in the U.S.
Sep 6, 2018 – In the U.S., at the end of 2017, 210 million devices were installed in consumer homes actively delivering internet connectivity to the TV screen, and by the end of 2021 there are forecast to be 275 million, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
U.S. voice-activated speaker sales to grow 50% by 2019
Aug 14, 2018 – According to The NPD Group, sales of voice-activated speakers will add an incremental $1.6 billion dollars to the U.S. technology industry through 2019, as these devices are leveraged both as an interface to smart home services and as digital assistants.
News categories: NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Big Data, Market Research, Smart Home, USA
Nearly one-fifth of U.S. video consumers are SVOD only
Aug 1, 2018 – While the majority of consumers in the United States view video content from a variety of sources - both physical and digital - the number of people using only Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video and other SVOD services is on the rise.
News categories: NPD Group, Ricardo Solar, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Screen size and picture quality drive replacement TV purchases in U.S.
Jun 18, 2018 – According to NPD, increasing the size and picture quality are the top driving forces for U.S. consumers looking to update their televisions. Of the consumers who purchased a 4K/UHD replacement TV, 45% reported buying because they wanted a larger screen, 39% for better picture quality.
News categories: The NPD Group, Stephen Baker, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
- 61% of US broadband households subscribe to two or more OTT services
- NEXTGEN TV launches on local TV in Norfolk, VA
- Universal Electronics to launch Apple TV remote control for MVPDs
- Nielsen unveils new ID resolution system
- Ocilion delivers content recommendations with XroadMedia
- Mirada helps izzi bring Disney+ to Mexico
- Bitmovin adds VVC encoding support
- Verimatrix introduces watermarking for HTML5
- Amagi helps BUZZR unify broadcast and streaming operations
- Minerva Networks and SDMC complete Android TV integration
- 36 million vehicles to ship with Android infotainment systems in 2030
- Medianet optimizes video delivery with Harmonic
- Wyplay adds Netflix & Prime Video to legacy STBs for Free
- Parks Associates reveals top 10 U.S. SVOD services for 3Q 2020
- NEXTGEN TV launched in Raleigh, NC
- Subscribers at major U.S. pay TV providers down 120,000 in 3Q 2020
- Verizon releases updated Stream TV box
- VIZIO taps Nielsen to measure advanced TV campaigns
- U.S. vMVPD subscribers rise in Q3 as traditional multichannel decline slows
- Worldwide spending on AR/VR to deliver strong growth through 2024