Digital TV News: OSN
OSN chooses Bitmovin Encoding for its WAVO streaming service
Apr 8, 2019 – Bitmovin has announced that OSN has selected Bitmovin Encoding to offer video content to subscribers of its video streaming service, WAVO. OSN adopted Bitmovin Encoding because of its rich feature set and API approach to building its platform.
News categories: Bitmovin, OSN, Stefan Lederer, Dave Mace, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Middle-East, OTT
Zain KSA and Huawei plan video streaming service
Feb 26, 2019 – Zain KSA and Huawei have agreed a plan to implement a 'to Home' video streaming service platform and infrastructure. Zain KSA will be the first telecom operator in the Middle East to use Huawei's video cloud solutions to build their own video services.
News categories: Zain, Huawei, Eng. Sultan Bin AbdulAziz AlDeghaither, Dennis Zhang, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IPTV, MWC19, Saudi Arabia
Endeavor video technology with NeuLion becomes Endeavor Streaming
Jan 14, 2019 – Endeavor has announced the formation of Endeavor Streaming, encompassing the company's video streaming products and services. NeuLion, acquired by Endeavor in 2018, will be absorbed within the new group alongside Endeavor's internally developed video platform technology.
News categories: Endeavor Streaming, WWE, Nick Wilson, Will Staeger, Vince McMahon, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
Sky invests in Synamedia
Jan 8, 2019 – Synamedia has announced that Sky has taken a stake in the business, joining majority shareholder the Permira funds. Both Sky and its parent company Comcast are long-time Synamedia customers as well as strategic development partners.
News categories: Synamedia, Sky, Yves Padrines, Andrew Griffith, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Middleware, MnA, Worldwide
Synamedia makes CES debut
Jan 3, 2019 – Synamedia will bring its newest solutions to CES 2019. The company also unveiled security software that combats the rapid rise in account sharing between friends and families, turning it instead into a new revenue-generating opportunity.
News categories: Synamedia, Yves Padrines, CES, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Middleware, Worldwide
OSN signs Middle East’s first partnership deal with Netflix
Feb 17, 2018 – OSN has signed the first partnership deal in the MENA region with Netflix. Soon OSN customers will be able to access Netflix’s content library via an OSN Box that will be launched towards the end of the second quarter.
News categories: Netflix, OSN, Maria Ferreras, Martin Stewart, Neil Martin, Digital TV, Middle-East, OTT, Set Top Box
Pay TV competition biting in the MENA region
Jan 15, 2018 – Pay TV revenues in the Middle East and North Africa will reach $3.62 billion in 2023 – up by only 7.8% on 2017. Pay TV revenues will fall in 2018. They will be flat in 2019 before starting a slow recovery.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East
Piksel to integrate Friend MTS digital watermarking
May 3, 2017 – Piksel and Friend MTS have announced a partnership that will see the two companies integrate Friend MTS’ ASiD digital watermarking technology into Piksel’s cloud-based video services and end-to-end OTT platform.
News categories: Friend MTS, Piksel, Jonathan Friend, Mark Christie, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, OTT, Watermarking, Worldwide
OTT to transform TV viewing in the MENA region
May 3, 2017 – The boom in smartphone and internet penetration is transforming traditional TV viewership patterns in the MENA region as well as is attracting significant investment, according to Frost & Sullivan.
News categories: Frost & Sullivan, Aafia Bathool, Vidya S Nath, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East, OTT
- Roku OS 9.2 to begin rollout
- Roku announces new streaming player line-up for UK
- Eros Now to develop online video platform with Microsoft
- FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
- Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
- Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
- Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
- CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
- SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
- Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
- NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
- Vizio adds additional Alexa capabilities to SmartCast TVs
- LIWEST latest Austrian operator to deploy IPTV with Verimatrix and Ocilion
- Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
- TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
- Amazon Prime Video to be made available on Altice One
- NEOTION renews partnership with Irdeto
- Online video viewing to reach 100 minutes a day in 2021
- Irdeto secures Airtel Xstream 4K set-top box
- Netgem and Sharp release smart soundbar for telcos