Digital TV News: Peacock
Advertisers still struggling with streaming quality
Feb 4, 2020 – Conviva has released its quarterly State of Streaming report for Q4 2019, revealing that streaming viewing continues to climb. Conviva also found that the length of time a viewer must wait for the ad to start nearly doubled over the span of a single quarter.
News categories: Conviva, Bill Demas, Advertising, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
NBCUniversal unveils Peacock freemium streaming service
Jan 16, 2020 – NBCUniversal has unveiled Peacock, a free premium ad-supported streaming service with subscription tiers offering more than 600 movies and 400 series, as well as compelling live and on-demand content across news, sports, late night, and reality.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Peacock, Steve Burke, Matt Strauss, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
Enea Openwave optimizes Apple TV+ streaming
Nov 5, 2019 – Enea (Stockholm: ENEA) has announced that Enea Openwave has successfully optimized Apple TV+ over mobile networks, using its traffic management technology. Algorithms were used to dynamically optimize Apple’s encrypted video content to deliver a higher quality viewing experience.
News categories: Enea, Indranil Chatterjee, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Mobile, QoE, Worldwide
U.S. Connected TV ad spending will grow nearly 40% in 2019
Nov 5, 2019 – Connected TV advertising is a small, but rapidly growing portion of digital advertising, and is competing directly with traditional TV advertising. eMarketer expects the channel to grow 37.6% this year to reach $6.94 billion.
News categories: eMarketer, Eric Haggstrom, Advertising, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Limited reach of Apple TV+ and Disney+ hinders services’ adoption
Oct 10, 2019 – With the Apple TV+ app initially addressing only about half of the total U.S. market, the service is likely to encounter limited subscriber growth compared to competitive offerings that have a wider reach, according to IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Fateha Begum, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
Sep 17, 2019 – NBCUniversal has announced 'Peacock' as the name for its new streaming service. Peacock rolls out in April of 2020 with over 15,000 hours of content and takes center stage at the end of July during the 2020 Summer Olympics.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Peacock, Bonnie Hammer, Digital TV, OTT, USA
- NCTC to offer discounted Amazon Fire TV devices to members
- Viu reaches 41.4 million monthly active users
- Roku ends 2019 with 36.9 million active accounts
- Online viewing continues to gain ground on traditional broadcast TV
- Vianeos provides revamped UX for Batelco TV in Bahrain
- VUALTO partners with ATEME for automated encoder integration
- STV selects Arqiva Hybrid TV Service for HD restart feature
- AfricaXP adds DTH capacity from Eutelsat for Sub-Saharan Africa
- Altice USA residential video RGUs down 44k in 4Q 2019
- 'Tapering subscriber acquisitions' for Dish TV India in 4Q 2019
- Movistar Spain launches new voice remote control
- Irdeto confirmed as security partner for Mitele Plus
- Swedish streaming market saturating
- Tubi monthly active users grow to 25 million
- beIN SPORTS strikes partnership with XUMO TV
- Cinedigm’s Viewster app available on Foxxum-supporting devices
- Liberty extends Netflix partnership in Europe
- beIN SPORTS XTRA added to Samsung TV Plus
- Sinclair Broadcast joins Pearl TV broadcast business organization
- WISI ABR transcoding approved for Minerva YourTV Now cloud video