Digital TV News: Qualcomm
TCL launches televisions with Android TV in the U.S.
Jun 5, 2020 – TCL has announced that it will offer TCL TVs featuring Android TV in the U.S. Leveraging its years-long mobile device partnership with Google, TCL's new televisions diversify the company's product lineup.
News categories: TCL, Shalini Govil-Pai, Android TV, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
IFA 2020 to go-ahead as an invitation-only event in Berlin
May 19, 2020 – IFA has been given the go-ahead to take place in 2020 as a real-life event in Berlin. Taking place over just three days – from 3 to 5 September – the invite-only event will put strict limits on the number of attendees and focus on IFA’s four global core functions.
News categories: IFA Berlin, Jens Heithecker, COVID-19, Digital TV, Germany, IFA2020
Huawei, Qualcomm and Samsung welcome release of MPEG-5 EVC standard
May 8, 2020 – Huawei, Qualcomm and Samsung have welcomed the release of MPEG-5 Essential Video Coding (EVC) – a new video coding standard designed to meet both the business and technical needs of the media industry.
News categories: Huawei, Qualcomm, Samsung, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Worldwide
Worldwide semiconductor revenue declined 12% in 2019
Apr 15, 2020 – Worldwide semiconductor revenue totaled $419.1 billion in 2019, down 12% from 2018, according to Gartner. Intel regained the No. 1 position in the market as the downturn in the memory market negatively impacted many of the top vendors.
News categories: Gartner, Andrew Norwood, COVID-19, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Pixelworks and Qualcomm integrate Live Local TV with 5G broadband
Feb 18, 2020 – Pixelworks (NASDAQ: PXLW) is working with Qualcomm on a 5G-based fixed wireless access CPE platform. The joint reference solution will combine Pixelworks’ OTA streaming XCode® processor with the Qualcomm Snapdragon™ X55 5G Modem-RF System.
News categories: Pixelworks, Qualcomm, Anthony Gioeli, Gautam Sheoran, 5G, Digital TV, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, USA
LG and Qualcomm join forces on automotive infotainment
Oct 30, 2019 – LG and Qualcomm have announced plans to work together to further develop webOS Auto, LG’s connected in-vehicle infotainment system. The companies aim to create and advance a more convenient in-car experience for drivers and passengers alike.
News categories: LG Electronics, Qualcomm, Dr. I.P. Park, Jim Cathey, Digital TV, In-Car, Semiconductor, UX, Worldwide
Amazon and partners announce Voice Interoperability Initiative
Sep 24, 2019 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) and leading technology companies have announced the Voice Interoperability Initiative, a program to ensure voice-enabled products provide customers with choice and flexibility through multiple, interoperable voice services.
News categories: Amazon, Jeff Bezos, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Worldwide
Operator 5G boosted by strong projections for 5G PCs and tablets
Jul 16, 2019 – Research from Strategy Analytics shows that 45 million PCs and tablets globally will incorporate 5G connectivity by 2023, offering mobile operators a fresh opportunity to sell the advantages and new use cases of high-speed cellular connectivity.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Eric Smith, David Mercer, 5G, Market Research, Tablet, Worldwide
Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 12.5% in 2018
Apr 11, 2019 – Worldwide semiconductor revenue totaled $474.6 billion in 2018, a 12.5% increase from 2017, according to final results by Gartner. 2018 growth was weaker than the previous year (21.9%) due to memory growth slowing to 24.9% versus 2017 growth of 61.8%.
News categories: Gartner, Andrew Norwood, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
- SETAR deploys Nordija interactive TV platform in Aruba
- BoFiNet enlists Globecast for OTT service creation in Botswana
- SeaChange leadership extends salary reduction plan
- Growth in TV Panel quotes even higher than expected in July
- DNA selects VisualOn media player for Android TV app
- Mobile to provide 40% of SVOD subscriptions
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- Market turbulence to boost UK digital video market
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert