Digital TV News: Roku
Fifteen Roku TV brands to launch in 2020
Jan 6, 2020 – Roku (NASDAQ: ROKU) has announced that 15 TV brands will launch Roku TV models in 2020. Brands include ATVIO, Element, Hisense, Hitachi, InFocus, JVC, Magnavox, onn., Philips, Polaroid, RCA, Sanyo, TCL and Westinghouse.
News categories: Roku, Mustafa Ozgen, Canada, CES2020, Digital TV, Mexico, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, UK, USA
Roku announces 'Roku TV Ready' program
Jan 6, 2020 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has announced Roku TV Ready, a program that allows consumer electronics companies to partner with Roku to help their products work seamlessly with Roku TV. The first partners under the program are TCL North America and Sound United.
News categories: Roku, Sound United, TCL, Mark Ely, Brendon Stead, Chris Larson, CES2020, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA, Worldwide
Walmart and Roku launch Smart TV lineup in Mexico
Dec 23, 2019 – Walmart (NYSE: WMT) and Roku (NASDAQ: ROKU) have announced the launch of an Atvio Roku TV lineup of smart TVs, exclusively available in Walmart stores in Mexico. Models will include a 32" HD screen, and a 50" and 55" UHD screen.
News categories: Roku, Walmart, Arthur van Rest, Jesús Enrique Guzman Güereca, Digital TV, Licensing, Mexico, Middleware, Smart TV
US media players get on AVOD bandwagon as market revenue soars
Dec 10, 2019 – AVOD service providers in the U.S. are bracing themselves as media giants including Disney+ and Apple TV+ join the latest wave of competitors. These huge media firms are upping the ante, drawn by an increasingly lucrative market, according to IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Sarah Henschel, Kia Ling Teoh, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Hisense Roku TV models now available in UK
Nov 22, 2019 – Hisense and Roku have announced that Hisense Roku TV models will be available in the UK. Recently announced at IFA 2019, these smart TVs are powered by the Roku OS, offering consumers a premium TV experience at an affordable price.
News categories: Roku, Hisense, Bart Bomers, Arun Bhatoye, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, UK
Disney+ gets some traction, Apple TV lags in streaming wars
Nov 12, 2019 – Eagle Alpha has surveyed 5 million tweets from Twitter users in North America, excluding retweets, that mentioned Netflix, Disney+, Apple TV Plus, Hulu or Roku, to update its ongoing analysis of streaming video providers.
News categories: Eagle Alpha, Dean Barr, Big Data, Canada, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Disney+ launches in the U.S., Canada and the Netherlands
Nov 12, 2019 – Disney+, from The Walt Disney Company, is now live in the U.S., Canada and the Netherlands, bringing together for the first time a lineup of content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and more.
News categories: The Walt Disney Company, Robert A. Iger, Apps, Canada, Digital TV, Netherlands, OTT, USA
U.S. Connected TV ad spending will grow nearly 40% in 2019
Nov 5, 2019 – Connected TV advertising is a small, but rapidly growing portion of digital advertising, and is competing directly with traditional TV advertising. eMarketer expects the channel to grow 37.6% this year to reach $6.94 billion.
News categories: eMarketer, Eric Haggstrom, Advertising, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Streaming TV showing significant increase in viewership and quality
Nov 4, 2019 – Conviva has released its quarterly State of Streaming report for Q3 2019, revealing time spent streaming continues to climb – up 53% year over year – as consumers embrace on demand videos on their TVs, PCs and mobile devices.
News categories: Conviva, Bill Demas, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
- Roku ends 2019 with 36.9 million active accounts
- Online viewing continues to gain ground on traditional broadcast TV
- Vianeos provides revamped UX for Batelco TV in Bahrain
- VUALTO partners with ATEME for automated encoder integration
- STV selects Arqiva Hybrid TV Service for HD restart feature
- AfricaXP adds DTH capacity from Eutelsat for Sub-Saharan Africa
- Altice USA residential video RGUs down 44k in 4Q 2019
- 'Tapering subscriber acquisitions' for Dish TV India in 4Q 2019
- Movistar Spain launches new voice remote control
- Irdeto confirmed as security partner for Mitele Plus
- Swedish streaming market saturating
- Tubi monthly active users grow to 25 million
- beIN SPORTS strikes partnership with XUMO TV
- Cinedigm’s Viewster app available on Foxxum-supporting devices
- Liberty extends Netflix partnership in Europe
- beIN SPORTS XTRA added to Samsung TV Plus
- Sinclair Broadcast joins Pearl TV broadcast business organization
- WISI ABR transcoding approved for Minerva YourTV Now cloud video
- Radix to launch Android TV device management at MWC
- Canada's Media Technology Monitor reports on SVOD, podcasting, co-viewing and more