Digital TV News: Sony
Disney+ launches in the U.S., Canada and the Netherlands
Nov 12, 2019 – Disney+, from The Walt Disney Company, is now live in the U.S., Canada and the Netherlands, bringing together for the first time a lineup of content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and more.
News categories: The Walt Disney Company, Robert A. Iger, Apps, Canada, Digital TV, Netherlands, OTT, USA
Apple TV+ now available
Nov 1, 2019 – Audiences in over 100 countries and regions can now watch Apple TV+ on the Apple TV app. Customers can enjoy Apple TV+ on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, Mac, select Samsung smart TVs, Roku and Amazon Fire TV devices, as well as on the web.
News categories: Apple, Eddy Cue, Apps, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
A recession could leave streaming subscriptions vulnerable
Oct 29, 2019 – Millennials are poised to have their pockets hardest hit should the economy take a downturn, with the impact on their spending power directly upending loyalties to app subscriptions across entertainment, according to MIDiA Research.
News categories: MIDiA Research, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
Limited reach of Apple TV+ and Disney+ hinders services’ adoption
Oct 10, 2019 – With the Apple TV+ app initially addressing only about half of the total U.S. market, the service is likely to encounter limited subscriber growth compared to competitive offerings that have a wider reach, according to IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Fateha Begum, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
SonyLIV to be available on CloudWalker Smart TVs in India
Oct 4, 2019 – SonyLIV has tied up with CloudWalker to offer its content library on the latter's Smart TV devices. Starting October 2019, content from the repertoire of SonyLIV will be available on a range of CloudWalker Smart TVs redefining big screen entertainment for Indian families.
News categories: SonyLIV, CloudWalker, Uday Sodhi, Jagdish Rajpurohit, Apps, Digital TV, India, OTT, Smart TV
Disney renews PlayStation Vue distribution agreement
Sep 27, 2019 – The Walt Disney Company has agreed the continued deliver of its lineup of sports, news and entertainment content to PlayStation Vue customers. The agreement includes the newly acquired FX and National Geographic networks as well as ESPN's newly launched ACC Network.
News categories: Walt Disney, PlayStation, Sean Breen, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, USA
Amazon and partners announce Voice Interoperability Initiative
Sep 24, 2019 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) and leading technology companies have announced the Voice Interoperability Initiative, a program to ensure voice-enabled products provide customers with choice and flexibility through multiple, interoperable voice services.
News categories: Amazon, Jeff Bezos, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Worldwide
Fransat and HD+ adopt Intertrust XCA content protection
Sep 12, 2019 – Intertrust has announced that Fransat and HD+, France and Germany’s leading free TV operators, have selected Intertrust’s ExpressPlay XCA to protect and manage video streams over major broadcast and IPTV networks.
News categories: Intertrust, Fransat, HD+, Talal G. Shamoon, Digital TV, DRM, France, Germany, IBC2019, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Apple TV+ launches November 1 at $4.99 per month
Sep 10, 2019 – Apple has announced that Apple TV+ will launch November 1 in over 100 countries and regions. Apple TV+ will offer a lineup of original shows, movies and documentaries. The service will be available for $4.99 per month with a seven-day free trial.
News categories: Apple, Zack Van Amburg, Jamie Erlicht, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
- Fincons Group joins Deutsche TV-Plattform
- Samba TV taps Oracle Moat to measure viewability of CTV ads
- Amazon Prime Video app added to TiVo devices at Atlantic Broadband
- TekSavvy TV launches Cloud PVR and advanced features
- CJ Hello deploys ATEME transcoding solution
- US: Netflix grabs the most attention, but its reign will be challenged
- AWS compute and storage available at the edge of 5G networks
- FOX selects AWS as its cloud and machine learning provider
- TiVo launches Prime Video App to its U.S. pay-TV operator customers
- KPN integrates Amazon Prime Video into the TV menu
- Vodafone UK offers Apple TV 4K with unlimited broadband and mobile data
- A1 Bulgaria launches advanced TV with Zappware
- Tru Optik and Anzu.io to bring targeting to in-game advertising
- 14.5 million Australians now paying TV subscriptions
- EE hosts 5G-powered multi-location augmented reality gig
- Four-fifths of broadcasters considering personalised ads
- 3Q 2019 TV shipments grow 16.8% QoQ owing to peak season
- Worldwide spending on AR/VR expected to reach $18.8bn in 2020
- 13.7 million EU citizens streaming unauthorised IPTV
- WIND-Hellas launching Cloud Recordings with Zappware