Digital TV News: Telefónica
Telefónica invites start-ups to develop digital home apps for Movistar+
Sep 16, 2020 – Telefónica has launched 'Telefónica Activation Programme: Living Apps', aimed at startups that wish to take advantage of Telefónica’s TV platform, Movistar+, to develop digital home experiences for the company's customers.
News categories: Telefónica, Irene Gómez, Digital TV, Spain
Liberty Global to acquire Sunrise Communications by tender offer
Aug 12, 2020 – Liberty Global (Nasdaq: LBTYA, LBTYB and LBTYK) has announced that, in agreement with Sunrise Communications Group (SIX: SRCG), it will make an all cash public tender offer for the shares of Sunrise.
News categories: Liberty Global, Sunrise Communications, Mike Fries, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Switzerland
Liberty Latin America to acquire Telefónica’s operations in Costa Rica
Jul 30, 2020 – Liberty Latin America (NASDAQ: LILA and LILAK, OTC Link: LILAB) has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Telefónica's wireless operations in Costa Rica. Telefónica is Costa Rica’s second largest mobile provider.
News categories: Liberty Latin America, Telefónica, Balan Nair, Costa Rica, MnA, Mobile
ATEME provides Movistar+ with video headend for live DTH/OTT
Jul 22, 2020 – ATEME has announced that Movistar+ has chosen to implement ATEME's TITAN software-based video headend for distribution of its live DTH/OTT services. TITAN can run on any COTS or virtualized server.
News categories: ATEME, Movistar, Cedric Pesier, Eugenio Lojo, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, Satellite, Spain
Movistar+ adds picture in picture and upgrades voice functionality
Jul 7, 2020 – Movistar+ fibre customers in Spain can now watch content from two different channels simultaneously on the screen. The operator has also added new features to its Voice Remote Control.
News categories: Movistar, Fernando Enrile, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Spain, UX
Liberty Global and Telefónica to merge UK operations
May 7, 2020 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB, LBTYK) and Telefónica (Madrid: TEF) have agreed to merge their operating businesses in the UK to form a 50:50 joint venture. The combination will create an integrated communications provider with over 46 million subscribers.
News categories: Liberty Global, Telefónica, Mike Fries, Jose Maria Alvarez-Pallete, Cable TV, MnA, Mobile, UK
Telefónica confirms UK merger discussions with Liberty Global
May 4, 2020 – Telefónica has said that in relation to discussions with Liberty Global on a potential integration of their respective telecoms businesses in the UK, Telefónica informs that the process initiated by both parties is in a negotiation phase.
News categories: Telefónica, Liberty Global, O2, Virgin Media, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Mobile, UK
Millicom terminates Telefónica Costa Rica purchase agreement
May 2, 2020 – Millicom International Cellular has announced that it has exercised its right to terminate the Share Purchase Agreement (SPA) for the acquisition of Telefónica’s operating subsidiary in Costa Rica in accordance with the terms of the SPA.
News categories: Millicom, Telefónica, Costa Rica, MnA, Mobile
Latin America SVOD subscriptions to double
Mar 16, 2020 – According to Digital TV Research, Latin America will have 81 million SVOD subscriptions by 2025; almost double the 42 million recorded at end-2019. This growth comes despite the recession affecting most countries in the region.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Latin America, Market Research, OTT
- Over 40% of video consumption hours now on mobile for U.S. Gen Z
- T-Mobile USA launches TV bundles and Android TV STB
- TenTime uses NexPlayer to launch Arabic SVOD service
- MCTV selects MOBITV for advanced TV services
- Wiztivi's UI product now RDK compatible
- HbbTV 2.0.3 specification published
- Humax introduces RDK-based voice assistant set-top box
- RDK4 software stack for video service providers released
- Jump and Float Left offer data-driven solution for OTT personalization
- TV5MONDEplus launches globally with Red Bee and Dotscreen
- Netflix loses subscribers in Sweden
- Comscore announces advancements in cross-screen media measurement
- Spain's video entertainment market to grow to €4.5 Billion by 2024
- izzi deploys Android TV custom launcher from Mirada
- Bedrock streaming technology powers Salto
- NEXTGEN TV launches on six local TV stations in Mobile-Pensacola
- Comscore ad marketplace for Connected TV goes global
- Foxtel selects TiVo to power voice search
- Applicaster technology stack accelerates video app development
- AT&T U.S. down 627k; Vrio up 229k video subs in 3Q 2020