Digital TV News: Unitymedia
Europe is not cord-cutting right across the board
Jun 13, 2019 – The European Audiovisual Observatory has published a report on pay audiovisual services in Europe, covering the state of play for the two main segments: linear pay TV and SVOD. The report also analyses the main factors likely to influence their development.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Laura Ene, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite
EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
Dec 11, 2018 – The EU has opened an investigation to assess Vodafone's proposed acquisition of Liberty Global's business in Czechia, Germany, Hungary and Romania. The Commission is concerned the takeover may reduce competition in Germany and Czechia.
News categories: European Commission, Vodafone, Liberty Global, Margrethe Vestager, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, EU, Germany, MnA
The number of cable homes in Europe grew once again in 2017
Nov 7, 2018 – The number of cable homes in Europe once again grew in 2017, reaching 69.2 million and comprising 36.3% of all TV households. This was the largest number of cable homes in Europe since 2009 according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) and Cable Europe.
News categories: IHS Markit, Cable Europe, Maria Rua Aguete, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Subscribers
Unitymedia adopts Telestream iQ for video monitoring and analytics
Jun 19, 2018 – Telestream has announced a project with Unitymedia that sees Unitymedia adopting advanced video monitoring and analytics platforms throughout its network. In addition, Telestream will supply intelligent media processing and file-based QC.
News categories: Telestream, Unitymedia, Telestream, Florian Münz, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Germany, QoE
Vodafone to acquire Liberty Global’s operations in Germany, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Romania
May 9, 2018 – Vodafone has announced that it has agreed to acquire Unitymedia in Germany and Liberty Global’s operations (excluding its 'Direct Home' business) in the Czech Republic, Hungary, and Romania, for a total enterprise value of €18.4 billion.
News categories: Vodafone, Liberty Global, Mike Fries, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Germany, Hungary, MnA, Romania
Unitymedia begins analogue cable TV switch off
Apr 6, 2016 – Germany's Unitymedia has announced a pilot city for its plan to switch all of it cable TV customers to digital. Hanau, in the country's Hesse region, will be completed converted by September 20, 2016.
News categories: Unitymedia, Cable TV, Digital TV, Germany
Pay TV operators to add 200 million subscribers by 2020
Oct 8, 2015 – Pay TV subscriptions for 338 operators across 89 countries will increase by 200 million from a collective 704 million in 2014 to 904 million by 2020, according to a report from Digital TV Research. The report estimates that 29 operators had more than 5 million paying subs by end-2014.
News categories: Digital TV Research, China, Digital TV, Latin America, Market Research, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Sky to overtake Liberty Global in Western Europe
Sep 9, 2015 – Liberty Global has been the largest pay TV operator in Europe for some time. However, its top slot in Western Europe is under threat, with Sky Europe expected to overtake its subscriber count in 2017, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
Amazon leads Germany's VOD market
Feb 24, 2015 – According to research undertaken by Goldmedia, Amazon Prime Instant Video is the most widely used video-on-demand (VOD) offering in Germany with a share of 33.2 percent. iTunes and Maxdome are in equal second place with 11.3% market share. Netflix is only in fifth place with 8%.
News categories: Goldmedia, Digital TV, Germany, Market Research, OTT
- FreeWheel releases Q1 2019 Video Marketplace report
- Expert System adds MovieLabs Creative Works Ontology support
- Megacable adds 21k video subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Virtual Assistant shipments to exceed 2.3 billion in 2023
- Telecom Egypt and CNE to launch IPTV
- All Media Baltics chooses Atende Software OTT platform
- CEVA acquires Hillcrest Labs
- Global semiconductor revenue forecast to decline 9.6% in 2019
- iflix secures new round of funding
- Malaysia runs analogue switchover pilot in Langkawi
- ITV and BBC sign agreement to launch BritBox
- Inca ABR transcoder approved for MOBITV CONNECT deployments
- UK CE market forecast to grow 4% in 2019
- India: 79% of the smartphone users using OTT apps for entertainment
- Peach advertising delivery platform launched
- Liberty Global Vodafone deal approved by European Commission
- Altice France unveils SFR Box 8
- ATEME and Eurovision Services run BISS-CA watermarking trial
- Netflix US streaming subscribers down 126k in 2Q 2019
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum releases sports OTT report