Digital TV News: Walt Disney
Disney+ already at 50 million subscribers
Apr 8, 2020 – Disney+ now has 50 million paid subscribers. In the past two weeks the service rolled out in eight Western European countries. Last week it also launched in India, jointly with Hotstar. This provided eight million of the 50 million subscribers.
News categories: Walt Disney, Kevin Mayer, OTT, Subscribers, Worldwide
Movies Anywhere app comes to LG Smart TVs
Mar 27, 2020 – LG Electronics USA and Movies Anywhere have announced the arrival of the Movies Anywhere app on LG Smart TVs. Movies Anywhere lets users enjoy their purchased or redeemed digital movies combined in one simplified, personal collection.
News categories: LG Electronics, Movies Anywhere, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Disney+ rolls out in Europe
Mar 24, 2020 – Disney+ has launched in the UK, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Switzerland. The service will launch in France on April 7th. Audiences can stream Disney+ on nearly all major mobile and connected TV devices.
News categories: Disney+, Kevin Mayer, Apps, Austria, Digital TV, Games Console, Germany, Ireland, Italy, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Spain, Switzerland, Tablet, UK
Disney+ on UK Samsung Smart TVs from 24th March
Mar 19, 2020 – Samsung Electronics UK has confirmed that from March 24th Disney+ will be offered on its Smart TVs released from 2016 onwards, either available for download from the app store or directly preinstalled on select models.
News categories: Samsung, Disney+, Guy Kinnell, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, UK
Movistar to be launch partner for Disney+ in Spain
Mar 8, 2020 – The Walt Disney Company Iberia and Telefónica have announced that Movistar will be the strategic distributor for Disney+ launch in Spain. Adding Disney's new streaming service builds upon a long-standing relationship between the companies.
News categories: Telefónica, Disney, Emilio Gayo, Jan Koeppen, Digital TV, OTT, Spain
Sky signs deal for Disney+
Mar 3, 2020 – Sky and Disney have announced a deal making Disney+ available for purchase in the UK and Ireland on Sky Q, to be followed by NOW TV in the coming months. The deal also includes the first-pay window for 20th Century titles.
News categories: Sky, Disney, Jeremy Darroch, Kevin Mayer, Apps, Digital TV, Europe, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box
Disney+ amasses nearly 29 million paid subscribers since launch
Feb 4, 2020 – The Walt Disney Company has announced that Disney+ had amassed 28.6 million paid subscribers, as of Monday, February 3. The service launched on November 12, 2019. Paid subscriber numbers for ESPN+ and Hulu were 7.6 million and 30.7 million, respectively.
News categories: The Walt Disney Company, Bob Iger, Digital TV, OTT, Subscribers, USA, Worldwide
Disney+ brings forward EMEA launch date
Jan 21, 2020 – The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer & International segment has set March 24th as the new launch date for Disney+ in markets across Western Europe. Pricing has also been confirmed at £5.99/€6.99 per month, or £59.99/€69.99 for an annual subscription.
News categories: The Walt Disney Company, Digital TV, Europe, Middle-East, OTT
Disney+ passes 10 million sign-ups since launching
Nov 13, 2019 – Disney+, the highly anticipated streaming service from The Walt Disney Company, has already reached a major milestone, achieving a remarkable 10 million sign-ups since launching.
News categories: The Walt Disney Company, Canada, Digital TV, Netherlands, OTT, Subscribers, USA
- ATRESMEDIA and smartclip deepen HbbTV advertising partnership
- Comscore, Kantar extend measurement partnership with Auditel Italy
- Pay TV revenues to plunge to $150 billion
- Cable-Tec Expo unable to go ahead
- Sisvel announces first VP9 and AV1 patent licensees
- Comcast to bring HBO Max to Xfinity customers
- HBO Max launched in the U.S.
- Nordic households spending €149pm on media and access services
- SES unveils results of Philippines TV market reception survey
- Over half of U.S. adults watching more TV since the pandemic
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Las Vegas
- Shifts in viewing behavior continue during COVID-19 pandemic
- Dailymotion and Huawei Video announce global video partnership
- SoftAtHome builds RDK-based video product for service providers
- Nordija integrates Yospace ad insertion technology
- iQIYI partners MediaTek for AV1-powered Ultra HD streaming
- Bitė to acquire Telecentras' IPTV business in Lithuania
- World's fastest internet speed from a single optical chip
- Disney+ attracts 2 million Australian viewers in 4 months
- Global TV shipments to fall 5.8% in 2020