Digital TV News: Yahoo!
DistroScale enters streaming TV space with free live, linear and VOD service
Feb 4, 2019 – DistroScale is launching DistroTV, a streaming OTT service for globally-minded viewers in the US, Canada and UK with a broad range of live, linear and VOD formats. DistroTV is free to consumers and is available via Apple iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV and Roku.
News categories: DistroScale, DistroTV, Navdeep Saini, Teresa Kirilova, Juan Solera, Canada, Digital TV, OTT, UK, USA
Pluto TV launches free Video On Demand offering
May 16, 2017 – Pluto TV has announced the launch of a free Video on Demand (VoD) offering. Like Pluto TV's lean-back TV channels, the VoD offering is powered by content partnerships with major networks, studios, and digital media brands.
News categories: Pluto TV, Tom Ryan, Digital TV, OTT, USA
PlayOn Cloud app allows Netflix, HBO NOW, Amazon Video recording
Nov 10, 2016 – MediaMall Technologies has launched its PlayOn Cloud service and iOS app, which allows users to record movies and TV shows from streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu and HBO NOW for offline viewing on an iPhone, iPad, PC or Mac.
News categories: PlayOn, Jeff Lawrence, Apps, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, USA
Yahoo introduces Yahoo View in partnership with Hulu
Aug 8, 2016 – Yahoo! (NASDAQ:YHOO) has announced the launch of Yahoo View, a site where viewers can watch episodes of TV shows and go beyond the episode with clips, recaps and the best of Tumblr fandom. Yahoo View is an extension of Yahoo's distribution partnership with Hulu.
News categories: Yahoo!, Hulu, Jess Lee, Phil Lynch, Digital TV, OTT, USA
55% of U.S. OTT services are subscription-only
Jul 19, 2016 – Parks Associates has announced new data showing that 55% of OTT services in the U.S. have a subscription-only business model, such as Netflix or Hulu. In Canada, 50% of OTT services offer subscription-only services.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Ruby-Ren Bond, Canada, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Yahoo! to kill Smart TV product
Feb 2, 2016 – Yahoo! (YHOO) has announced a strategic plan to simplify the company. As part of the plan, Yahoo will exit some legacy products, including Smart TV which has not met growth expectations.
News categories: Yahoo!, Digital TV, Smart TV
Parks Associates reveals top 10 OTT S-VOD services in the U.S.
Nov 17, 2015 – Parks Associates has revealed the top ten U.S. subscription over-the-top (OTT) video services based on number of subscribers, with Netflix as the top subscriber service and three of the ten services on the list focused on sports content.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Industry leaders announce Streaming Video Alliance
Nov 14, 2014 – A number of companies have announced their intention to form the Streaming Video Alliance. The Alliance will facilitate the creation of architecture, standards and best practices that will scale the infrastructure for online video.
News categories: Streaming Video Alliance, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
Yahoo Smart TV unveiled at CES2014
Jan 8, 2014 – Yahoo! (NASDAQ:YHOO) has unveiled Yahoo Smart TV, the next evolution of its Connected TV platform. Yahoo Smart TV offers interactive viewing with personalized program recommendations from TV, Video on Demand, and Web services.
News categories: Yahoo!, Apps, CES, OTT, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum reveals LatAm key findings
- Beeline deploys Kaltura TV Platform in Kazakhstan
- Spearad launches monetization technology for addressable TV and audio
- SmartLabs migrates legacy boxes for StarNet TV in Moldova
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient