Digital TV News: Yahoo!
DistroScale enters streaming TV space with free live, linear and VOD service
Feb 4, 2019 – DistroScale is launching DistroTV, a streaming OTT service for globally-minded viewers in the US, Canada and UK with a broad range of live, linear and VOD formats. DistroTV is free to consumers and is available via Apple iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV and Roku.
News categories: DistroScale, DistroTV, Navdeep Saini, Teresa Kirilova, Juan Solera, Canada, Digital TV, OTT, UK, USA
Pluto TV launches free Video On Demand offering
May 16, 2017 – Pluto TV has announced the launch of a free Video on Demand (VoD) offering. Like Pluto TV's lean-back TV channels, the VoD offering is powered by content partnerships with major networks, studios, and digital media brands.
News categories: Pluto TV, Tom Ryan, Digital TV, OTT, USA
PlayOn Cloud app allows Netflix, HBO NOW, Amazon Video recording
Nov 10, 2016 – MediaMall Technologies has launched its PlayOn Cloud service and iOS app, which allows users to record movies and TV shows from streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Video, Hulu and HBO NOW for offline viewing on an iPhone, iPad, PC or Mac.
News categories: PlayOn, Jeff Lawrence, Apps, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, USA
Yahoo introduces Yahoo View in partnership with Hulu
Aug 8, 2016 – Yahoo! (NASDAQ:YHOO) has announced the launch of Yahoo View, a site where viewers can watch episodes of TV shows and go beyond the episode with clips, recaps and the best of Tumblr fandom. Yahoo View is an extension of Yahoo's distribution partnership with Hulu.
News categories: Yahoo!, Hulu, Jess Lee, Phil Lynch, Digital TV, OTT, USA
55% of U.S. OTT services are subscription-only
Jul 19, 2016 – Parks Associates has announced new data showing that 55% of OTT services in the U.S. have a subscription-only business model, such as Netflix or Hulu. In Canada, 50% of OTT services offer subscription-only services.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Ruby-Ren Bond, Canada, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Yahoo! to kill Smart TV product
Feb 2, 2016 – Yahoo! (YHOO) has announced a strategic plan to simplify the company. As part of the plan, Yahoo will exit some legacy products, including Smart TV which has not met growth expectations.
News categories: Yahoo!, Digital TV, Smart TV
Parks Associates reveals top 10 OTT S-VOD services in the U.S.
Nov 17, 2015 – Parks Associates has revealed the top ten U.S. subscription over-the-top (OTT) video services based on number of subscribers, with Netflix as the top subscriber service and three of the ten services on the list focused on sports content.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Industry leaders announce Streaming Video Alliance
Nov 14, 2014 – A number of companies have announced their intention to form the Streaming Video Alliance. The Alliance will facilitate the creation of architecture, standards and best practices that will scale the infrastructure for online video.
News categories: Streaming Video Alliance, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
Yahoo Smart TV unveiled at CES2014
Jan 8, 2014 – Yahoo! (NASDAQ:YHOO) has unveiled Yahoo Smart TV, the next evolution of its Connected TV platform. Yahoo Smart TV offers interactive viewing with personalized program recommendations from TV, Video on Demand, and Web services.
News categories: Yahoo!, Apps, CES2020, OTT, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Worldwide
- NBCUniversal unveils Peacock freemium streaming service
- Comscore TV viewing data used to predict advertising audience decline
- Majority of U.S. advertisers using Advanced TV solutions
- Bannister Lake integrates MPEG-DASH into data aggregation workflow
- NextGen TV offers clear upside potential according to BIA
- ANA and Innovid release Connected TV insights report
- Insight TV taps Amagi for OTT channel distribution
- Cincinnati Bell, Hawaiian Telcom partner with YouTube TV
- TELUS launches dedicated hayu app on Optik TV
- App Annie releases The State of Mobile 2020 report
- Piracy and account sharing cost U.S. pay TV and OTT operators over $9bn in 2019
- Market for Android TVs to grow to $231 billion by 2026
- Foxxum to develop app store for Konka ODM TVs
- Cerence joins with LG to develop AI-powered connected car platform
- Vidgo launches live streaming service with Harmonic
- IPTV service revenue in Korea to grow at a CAGR of 4.4% to 2024
- Tech4home unveils Voice Remote Control for RDK and Metrological STBs
- Skyworth unveils smart home lineup at CES
- SK Telecom and Sinclair Broadcast launch ATSC 3.0 joint venture
- U.S. digital media entertainment spending up 8.4% in 2019