Digital TV News: ABI Research
Worldwide Pay TV market far from dead
Aug 6, 2019 – The increasing adoption of video streaming platforms has created significant challenges to traditional pay TV. Yet, despite this, the overall pay TV market is expected to grow to more than 1.1 billion subscribers in 2024, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Khin Sandi Lynn, Android TV, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
Growth in smart homes poised to decline slightly this year
Jul 1, 2019 – Smart home technology pushed into 34 million new homes worldwide last year, according to ABI Research. However, new home growth is poised to decline slightly this year as the market transitions from entering new homes to extending the scope of existing deployments.
News categories: ABI Research, Jonathan Collins, Market Research, Smart Home, USA, Worldwide
Over 233 million 4K TVs to ship in 2024
Jun 27, 2019 – As worldwide TV household penetration is quite saturated, the flat panel TV market has been driven by consumer adoption of TVs with higher resolution, larger screen size, and connected and integrated applications and services, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Khin Sandi Lynn, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Cross channel ad management and tracking help drive video ad tech market
May 14, 2019 – Despite ongoing consolidation in the ad tech market, overall growth continues. The video ad tech space will reach close to US$6 billion by 2023, up from just under US$1.7 billion in 2018, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
Cord-cutting driving decline in set-top box SoC market
Apr 4, 2019 – The worldwide set-top box SoC market will generate US$2.4 billion in 2019, according to ABI Research. The forecast represents a 5% decline from 2018 including revenue from cable, satellite, terrestrial and IPTV set-top box SoCs.
News categories: ABI Research, Khin Sandi Lynn, Digital TV, Market Research, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Operators experiencing up to 100% YoY mobile video growth
Feb 26, 2019 – Research from Openwave Mobility has found that over the past five years, video on mobile networks has grown on average 50-60% year-on-year (YoY), while in many developing markets, the rate is more than twice this.
News categories: Openwave Mobility, Enea, Matt Halligan, 5G, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, MWC19, OTT, Worldwide
2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
Dec 13, 2018 – Openwave Mobility has released its predictions for 2019. These predictions are based on some of the findings from the Mobile Video Industry Council - which includes Tier 1 mobile operators alongside key industry analysts.
News categories: Openwave Mobility, Mobile Video Industry Council, John Giere, Matt Halligan, Indranil Chatterjee, Aman Brar, 5G, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
Consumer IoT to be worth $6.6bn for telcos
Dec 12, 2018 – While the Internet of Things (IoT) is primarily associated with the industrial and enterprise markets, there is an adjacent opportunity emerging for Mobile Services Providers (MSPs) to spur the growth of a consumer IoT market, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Pablo Tomasi, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
ABI Research lowers 2023 VR forecast
Dec 5, 2018 – The Virtual Reality (VR) market is at a crossroad, finds ABI Research. The company has lowered its installed base forecast to clear just over 140 million by 2023, contingent on mobile VR turning things around and again becoming a viable segment of the market.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS
- Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018
- LG Uplus adds 92,000 IPTV subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Huawei launches HarmonyOS distributed operating system
- ZTE and China Mobile broadcast China's first 5G sporting event
- Singtel TV subscribers up 1,100 in 2Q 2019
- Deutsche Telekom MagentaTV subscribers up 58,000 in 2Q 2019