Digital TV News: AMC Networks
Piracy-enabling STB supplier closed down in Australia
Nov 28, 2017 – Following a joint investigation in Australia by the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE) and CASBAA's Coalition Against Piracy (CAP) into a large supplier of IPTV set-top boxes, pre-loaded to play pirated movies, television shows, sports programming, and other content has had these operations closed down in Australia.
News categories: CASBAA, Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment, Neil Gane, Zoe Thorogood, Australia, Content Protection, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box
Philo launches multichannel live TV streaming in the US for $16/month
Nov 14, 2017 – Philo has announced the U.S. launch of a streaming television service featuring live TV, DVR, and on-demand content. The new service, priced at $16 per month, includes 35+ of the top cable channels and can be viewed anywhere in the U.S.
News categories: Philo, Andrew McCollum, Digital TV, OTT, USA
US leads in scripted TV production but volume is declining
Oct 16, 2017 – A white paper by IHS Markit (NASDAQ: INFO) has revealed that scripted TV production in the US — excluding online content — declined in 2016, largely due to lower origination by the cable networks.
News categories: IHS Markit, Tim Westcott, Australia, Canada, Digital TV, France, Germany, Market Research, UK, USA
Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment formed to reduce online piracy
Jun 13, 2017 – Thirty content creators and on-demand entertainment companies from around the world have launched the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE), a global coalition dedicated to protecting the legal market for creative content and reducing online piracy.
News categories: Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment, Content Protection, Digital TV, Worldwide
Amazon Channels launches in the UK and Germany
May 23, 2017 – Amazon has announced the launch of Amazon Channels in the UK and Germany. Amazon Channels allows Prime members to add channel subscriptions for a low monthly subscription fee, available individually without the need to sign up for a bundle or enter a lengthy contract.
News categories: Amazon, Alex Green, Digital TV, Germany, OTT, UK
ABC selects BuyDRM multi-DRM for iview on-demand and catch up TV
May 16, 2017 – BuyDRM has announced that the Australian Broadcasting Corporation is now using their KeyOS MultiKey Service for their VOD and catchup service iview. Using KeyOS, iview will be able to deliver DASH, HLS and MSS encoded content using industry-leading DRMs.
News categories: BuyDRM, Australian Broadcasting Corp, Christopher Levy, Andrew Carey, Australia, Content Protection, Digital TV, DRM, OTT
Media ownership: towards pan-European groups?
Jul 4, 2016 – The European Audiovisual Observatory has published a report on pan-European media groups. The report outlines some of the key players, their geographical footprint, their position in a range of markets, and their most recent strategies regarding expansion, acquisition and vertical integration.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Digital TV, EU, Europe, Market Research
CTAM announces universal TV Everywhere sign-in solution
Jun 10, 2016 – CTAM has announced the support of key TV Everywhere (TVE) business and technology leaders around a solution that will improve the sign-in experience for pay-TV customers across platforms, both in and out of the home.
News categories: CTAM, Adobe, Vicki Lins, Matt Strauss, Cable TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, TV Everywhere, USA
PlayStation Vue expands to cover the entire U.S. market
Mar 14, 2016 – PlayStation Vue is expanding, extending the service to an additional 203 TV designated market areas (DMAs) to cover the entire U.S. Consumers in the newly launched TV markets will have access to PlayStation Vue's Slim multi-channel plans starting at $29.99 per month.
News categories: Playstation, PlayStation Vue, Eric Lempel, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, USA
- AirTV 4K streaming stick integrates Sling TV, Netflix and OTA channels
- Dalet to acquire Ooyala Flex Media Platform business
- TekSavvy TV launching across Ontario
- Amino acquires 24i Media
- European pay TV to gain 17.7 million subscribers between 2019 and 2023
- OpenAP partners with dataxu to power digital audience creation
- Manatt and Vorhaus report on the state of content consumption
- Mirada results for the year ended 31 March 2019
- Prices for mid- and large-sized LCD panels keep falling in 3Q
- 7.1 million digital paying CATV subscribers for Hathway at end-2Q 2019
- Tremor Video combines capabilities with YuMe by RhythmOne
- Tastemade selects Telaria for programmatic OTT and CTV advertising
- SmartLabs becomes Samsung Smart TV App Developer
- India active DTH subscribers up 1.95 million in 1Q 2019
- DVB adds HDR Dynamic Mapping to its AV coding specifications
- Third of Netflix subscribers might switch to a cheaper, ad-supported tier
- WarnerMedia names upcoming D2C service HBO Max
- Dplay expands Appear TV OTT delivery with dynamic ads
- Comscore announces launch of Video Metrix Multi-Platform in Malaysia
- ProSiebenSat.1 and Discovery choose 3SS to power Joyn