Digital TV News: Astro
Astro partners with Synamedia for new video services
Apr 24, 2019 – Synamedia has announced a partnership with and Astro Malaysia. Synamedia’s cloud-based Infinite video platform will enable Astro to secure, distribute and monetize video experiences across all screens while deepening viewer engagement.
News categories: Synamedia, Astro, Yves Padrines, Henry Tan, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Malaysia, OTT, Satellite, TV Everywhere, UX
YouTube Apps to launch on Fire TV; Prime Video on Chromecast and Android TV
Apr 18, 2019 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) and Google (NASDAQ: GOOGL) have announced that the official YouTube app will soon launch on Amazon Fire TV devices and Fire TV Edition smart TVs, and that the Prime Video app will be available for streaming to Chromecast and Chromecast built-in devices.
News categories: Prime Video, YouTube, Android TV, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Freeview UK launches mobile app for iOS
Jan 22, 2019 – Freeview UK has launched its mobile app for iOS devices. In just three taps, users can stream live shows from the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 and on demand content from BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, My5, and UKTV Play whenever and wherever, all free.
News categories: Freeview UK, Owen Jenkinson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Terrestrial, TV Everywhere, UK
Sky invests in Synamedia
Jan 8, 2019 – Synamedia has announced that Sky has taken a stake in the business, joining majority shareholder the Permira funds. Both Sky and its parent company Comcast are long-time Synamedia customers as well as strategic development partners.
News categories: Synamedia, Sky, Yves Padrines, Andrew Griffith, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Middleware, MnA, Worldwide
Astro Malaysia bundles broadband with content in Melaka
Jan 8, 2019 – Residents of Jasin, Melaka are now able to enjoy Astro Malaysia's bundled broadband with content offering. The product is part of the company’s support for the Government’s National Fiberisation and Connectivity Plan (NFCP).
News categories: Astro Malaysia, Henry Tan, Broadband, Digital TV, Malaysia
Telechips Lion STB SoC CA-certified by Synamedia for 4K/UHD
Dec 20, 2018 – Telechips (KOSDAQ:054450) has announced that its Lion STB chipset has been certified by Synamedia for 4K conditional access. Lion is a next-generation UHD SoC that features low power consumption and enables the delivery of sophisticated UIs.
News categories: Telechips, Synamedia, BM Lee, Sue Couto, Conditional Access, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Comcast rolling-out Amazon Prime Video on Xfinity X1
Dec 5, 2018 – Comcast and Amazon have announced that the Prime Video service will launch over the next week on Comcast’s Xfinity X1. With Amazon Prime Video integrated into the X1 guide, customers can easily browse the Prime Video catalog on Xfinity on Demand.
News categories: Comcast, Prime Video, Matt Strauss, Greg Hart, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
Astro selects Telaria as preferred video platform partner
Nov 20, 2018 – Telaria (NYSE:TLRA) has been selected as the preferred Video Management Platform by Astro. With Telaria, live TV inventory will be available programmatically in Malaysia through Astro GO apps and Astro’s live streaming player.
News categories: Telaria, Astro, Kevin Smyth, Andy Yap, Advertising, Digital TV, Malaysia, OTT
45% of Thai consumers use pirated TV boxes
Nov 14, 2018 – In a recent study, commissioned by the Asia Video Industry Association's Coalition Against Piracy, into the content viewing behaviour of Thai consumers, it was revealed that 45% of consumers use a TV box which can be used to stream pirated television and video content.
News categories: Asia Video Industry Association, True Visions, Neil Gane, Sompan Charumilinda, Content Protection, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Thailand
- Wirecard provides international payment services for BluTV
- SUPER RTL selects 3SS for Kividoo Kids service relaunch
- Sony and Microsoft to collaborate on cloud for D2C entertainment and AI
- Insys Video automates celebrity identification and inappropriate content detection
- HbbTV Association adds seven new members
- Beximco launches AKASH DTH in Bangladesh
- b<>com and Viaccess-Orca partner to detect video piracy
- IDC expects worldwide semiconductor revenue to drop 7.2% in 2019
- Pay TV subscribers in Romania up 3% in 2018
- IABM report shows squeezed margins but continuing optimism
- Rostelecom pay TV subscribers up 3% YoY in 1Q 2019
- WMYD to host Detroit’s first Next-Gen TV station
- 3SS and Media Distillery team up for ultra-personalized AI-powered TV
- Redbox selects You.i TV to develop React Native app on Roku
- MainStreaming secures $6 million funding
- Survey reveals increasing use of multiple TV sources by viewers in Europe
- SK Telecom to offer world's first live TV sports broadcast over 5G
- Four media measurement bodies form global alliance
- Sony and Chicken Soup for the Soul launch Crackle Plus
- Philo brings streaming TV to WOW! broadband customers