Digital TV News: Astro
Over 100 million monthly active users for ThinkAnalytics' cloud content discovery
Jul 9, 2019 – ThinkAnalytics has announced that its cloud-based personalized content discovery platform is the first in the industry to scale to over 100 million monthly active users in the cloud. Four of the firm’s OTT customers now have a combined user base that exceeds that number.
News categories: ThinkAnalytics, Peter Docherty, Big Data, Digital TV, UX, Worldwide
Astro Malaysia updates Astro GO user experience
Jul 8, 2019 – Astro Malysia has introduced a new look and features for its Astro GO app. The update offers a new interface and enhanced user experience. New features include easier navigation, enhanced search and easier content discovery.
News categories: Astro, Apps, Digital TV, Malaysia, TV Everywhere, UX
Sky Deutschland and MX1 expand collaboration
Jun 18, 2019 – MX1 has agreed a service agreement extension with Sky Deutschland. In particular, the scope of MX1’s contingency service will be expanded to include Sky Deutschland's over-the-top (OTT) signals as well as its main broadcasts.
News categories: MX1, Sky Deutschland, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Germany
Astro Malaysia adopts Broadpeak's multicast ABR technology
Jun 18, 2019 – Broadpeak is working with Astro Malaysia to strengthen the latter's OTT video delivery service through its multicast ABR solution. Astro is using the solution to distribute 20 MPEG-DASH live channels to Android TVs and iOS and Android tablets and smartphones.
News categories: Broadpeak, Astro, Jacques Le Mancq, Shahrul Imran Sultan, ConnecTechAsia, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Malaysia, OTT
IQIYI reaches content distribution agreement with Astro Malaysia
Jun 17, 2019 – iQIYI (NASDAQ: IQ) has announced that it has reached a content distribution agreement with Astro Malaysia. iQIYI will launch an iQIYI content channel under the partnership, bringing exciting and high-quality content to Malaysia through Astro's platform.
News categories: IQIYI, Astro, Yang Xianghua, Henry Tan, Digital TV, Malaysia, OTT, Satellite
Astro partners with Synamedia for new video services
Apr 24, 2019 – Synamedia has announced a partnership with and Astro Malaysia. Synamedia’s cloud-based Infinite video platform will enable Astro to secure, distribute and monetize video experiences across all screens while deepening viewer engagement.
News categories: Synamedia, Astro, Yves Padrines, Henry Tan, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Malaysia, OTT, Satellite, TV Everywhere, UX
YouTube Apps to launch on Fire TV; Prime Video on Chromecast and Android TV
Apr 18, 2019 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) and Google (NASDAQ: GOOGL) have announced that the official YouTube app will soon launch on Amazon Fire TV devices and Fire TV Edition smart TVs, and that the Prime Video app will be available for streaming to Chromecast and Chromecast built-in devices.
News categories: Prime Video, YouTube, Android TV, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Freeview UK launches mobile app for iOS
Jan 22, 2019 – Freeview UK has launched its mobile app for iOS devices. In just three taps, users can stream live shows from the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 and on demand content from BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, My5, and UKTV Play whenever and wherever, all free.
News categories: Freeview UK, Owen Jenkinson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Terrestrial, TV Everywhere, UK
Sky invests in Synamedia
Jan 8, 2019 – Synamedia has announced that Sky has taken a stake in the business, joining majority shareholder the Permira funds. Both Sky and its parent company Comcast are long-time Synamedia customers as well as strategic development partners.
News categories: Synamedia, Sky, Yves Padrines, Andrew Griffith, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Middleware, MnA, Worldwide
- ITV and BBC sign agreement to launch BritBox
- Inca ABR transcoder approved for MOBITV CONNECT deployments
- UK CE market forecast to grow 4% in 2019
- Liberty Global Vodafone deal approved by European Commission
- ATEME and Eurovision Services run BISS-CA watermarking trial
- Netflix US streaming subscribers down 126k in 2Q 2019
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum releases sports OTT report
- One million downloads for Sinclair's STIRR app
- Cifra and Flussonic offer integrated IPTV/OTT solution
- Vodafone Portugal enhances the TV user experience
- Mirada to empower pay TV operators with Netflix integration
- DNA sells pay-DTT business to Digita
- Socionext releases 8K-capable live video encoding unit
- Speedcast, In Aria! and Telespazio announce joint service offering
- Operator 5G boosted by strong projections for 5G PCs and tablets
- Block Communications to use Comscore local TV ratings and Advanced Audiences
- 27% of US broadband households engage in some form of piracy or account sharing
- Nielsen's TV ratings platform moves to AWS
- NEC demonstrates live 8K video transmission over 5G in France
- U.S. consumer technology sales to exceed $400bn in 2019