Digital TV News: Bell Media
Bell Media to acquire V Network and Noovo.ca
Jul 24, 2019 – Bell Media has announced that it has entered into an agreement with the shareholders of Groupe V Média to acquire conventional network V along with related digital assets including the ad-supported VOD service Noovo.ca.
News categories: Bell Media, Groupe V Média, Karine Moses, Maxime Rémillard, Canada, Digital TV, MnA, OTT
Bell Media and STARZ announce streaming service for Canada
Feb 7, 2019 – Bell Media and STARZ have announced the launch of a new STARZ channel and streaming service in Canada beginning Friday, March 1. The announcement comes as Crave confirms its subscriber base has grown to 2.3 million.
News categories: Starz, Bell Media, Tracey Pearce, Superna Kalle, Canada, Digital TV, OTT
Piracy-enabling STB supplier closed down in Australia
Nov 28, 2017 – Following a joint investigation in Australia by the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE) and CASBAA's Coalition Against Piracy (CAP) into a large supplier of IPTV set-top boxes, pre-loaded to play pirated movies, television shows, sports programming, and other content has had these operations closed down in Australia.
News categories: CASBAA, Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment, Neil Gane, Zoe Thorogood, Australia, Content Protection, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box
Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment formed to reduce online piracy
Jun 13, 2017 – Thirty content creators and on-demand entertainment companies from around the world have launched the Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment (ACE), a global coalition dedicated to protecting the legal market for creative content and reducing online piracy.
News categories: Alliance for Creativity and Entertainment, Content Protection, Digital TV, Worldwide
ABC selects BuyDRM multi-DRM for iview on-demand and catch up TV
May 16, 2017 – BuyDRM has announced that the Australian Broadcasting Corporation is now using their KeyOS MultiKey Service for their VOD and catchup service iview. Using KeyOS, iview will be able to deliver DASH, HLS and MSS encoded content using industry-leading DRMs.
News categories: BuyDRM, Australian Broadcasting Corp, Christopher Levy, Andrew Carey, Australia, Content Protection, Digital TV, DRM, OTT
Bell Canada launches 500 channel live TV app
May 15, 2017 – Bell Canada has launched Fibe Alt TV, a new way to watch live and on-demand television. With no traditional TV subscription or set-top box required, Alt TV is accessed through the Fibe TV app and offers up to 500 channels.
News categories: Bell Canada, Wade Oosterman, Rizwan Jamal, Apps, Canada, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT
Bell Fibe TV launches 4K Whole Home PVR in Canada
Jan 18, 2016 – Bell Canada has announced that Fibe TV customers in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa and Québec City can now purchase Bell's new 4K Whole Home PVR. The Fibe TV 4K Whole Home PVR is the smallest available on the market, has the largest recording capacity and is HDR-ready.
News categories: Bell Canada, Rizwan Jamal, Apps, Canada, Digital TV, DVR, Gateway, IPTV, Set Top Box, Smart Home
Bell becomes Canada's largest TV provider
Nov 4, 2015 – Bell has announced that the popularity of Fibe TV has made Bell TV the largest provider of television services in Canada for the first time, with more than 2.7 million TV customers across the country.
News categories: Bell Canada, George Cope, Apps, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Mobile, OTT, Subscribers
Bell Media's CraveTV to Go OTT on January 1
Jul 13, 2015 – Bell Media has announced that its premium TV streaming service CraveTV will become available direct to all Canadian consumers with access to the internet on January 1, 2016. CraveTV is currently only available to subscribers of participating television providers.
News categories: Bell Media, Mary Ann Turcke, Canada, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS
- Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018
- LG Uplus adds 92,000 IPTV subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Huawei launches HarmonyOS distributed operating system
- ZTE and China Mobile broadcast China's first 5G sporting event