Digital TV News: Brian Markwalter
Study shows strong interest in ATSC 3.0 Next-Gen Television concept
Oct 16, 2018 – In an update to a 2017 U.S. study, consumers continue to show exceptionally strong interest in the Next-Gen Television service (ATSC 3.0) that will offer free live OTA TV programming with added features.
News categories: Pearl TV, Magid, Anne Schelle, Bill Hague, Brian Markwalter, Digital TV, Market Research, Terrestrial, USA
CTA publishes Recommended Practice for ATSC 3.0 television sets
Sep 27, 2017 – The Consumer Technology Association's (CTA) Technology & Standards Fall Forum kicked off with the publication of guidelines to improve the capabilities of TV sets decoding ATSC 3.0 signals. The guidelines aim to help improve the user-experience.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Brian Markwalter, ATSC, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
Streaming Video Alliance and CTA to co-develop streaming media QoE guidelines
Sep 15, 2016 – The Streaming Video Alliance and the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) have announced its collaboration to develop industry-wide guidelines pertaining to streaming media Quality of Experience (QoE).
News categories: Streaming Video Alliance, Consumer Technology Association, Jason Thibeault, Brian Markwalter, Digital TV, Multiscreen, OTT, Worldwide
CEA defines 'HDR Compatible' displays
Aug 27, 2015 – The CEA has announced the industry definition for high dynamic range (HDR) compatible video displays. HDR is a new capability that promises to deliver an expansive range of brightness and shadow detail, further enhancing the viewing experience.
News categories: Consumer Electronics Association, Brian Markwalter, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
U.S. 4K UHD display shipments to reach 4 million in 2015
Jan 5, 2015 – According to research to be released by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), shipments of 4K UHD displays in teh U.S. are projected to reach four million units in 2015, marking a 208 percent increase over 2014.
News categories: Consumer Electronics Association, Gary Shapiro, Brian Markwalter, CES2019, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
OTT-only TV households to exceed DTT-only TV household in the U.S.
Jun 5, 2014 – According to the CEA, the percentage of U.S. households with a television that relies exclusively on an antenna for TV reception is about to be eclipsed for the first time ever by the percentage relying only on the Internet for TV.
News categories: Consumer Electronics Association, Gary Shapiro, Brian Markwalter, Digital TV, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, USA
CEA announces publication of new DTV Interface standard
Jul 15, 2013 – The CEA has announced publication of CEA-861-F, A DTV Profile for Uncompressed High-Speed Digital Interfaces. This standard applies to DTV-related high-speed digital physical interfaces, such as: HDMI, DVI 1.0, and Open LDI specifications.
News categories: Consumer Electronics Association, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
CEA Announces Five New Standards, Including Accessibility, 3D Video
Jul 9, 2012 – The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) has announced five new standards, ranging in topic from accessibility to 3D video to wireless charging, which are now available to guide designers as they develop products for consumers.
News categories: Consumer Electronics Association, Techstreet, Digital TV, USA, VR
CEA to Host First-Ever TV Apps Developer University
Sep 13, 2011 – The Consumer Electronics Association will host its first-ever TV Apps Developer University event on September 29, 2011. The event will help developers learn to build TV apps for the more than eight million app-enabled sets that will ship in 2011.
News categories: Consumer Electronics Association, Apps, OTT, Smart TV, USA
- Androidmov Technology unveils IPTV UX software
- Updated specifications for digital distribution of film and TV released
- 2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
- EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
- 28% of U.S. smart speaker owners use it to control a smart home device
- Consumer IoT to be worth $6.6bn for telcos
- Viaccess-Orca to power Guigo TV live OTT service in Brazil
- Turkcell chooses Metrological to provide TV+ app store
- Wyplay source code powers Telefónica IPTV in Argentina
- EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
- Verizon begins Fios TV One rollout
- Vubiquity and Discover Digital launch VOD with TelOne Zimbabwe
- Telefonica Spain upgrades Movistar+ UI to add Netflix
- Go See TV and Flowplayer launch Shoppable Content Player
- Nordija wins IPTV contract from US fibre operator Ting
- Deutsche Telekom and MediaKind first to stream 6K tiled 360° live sport
- Shanghai sees world's first 4K UHD live broadcast via 5G network slicing
- Freeview NZ PVR combines Freeview features with streaming apps
- Mirada wins contract with Skytel in Mongolia
- 7Park Data tracks path from SVOD viewing to buying on Amazon.com