Digital TV News: Brian Markwalter
Build-out plans announced for Next-Gen TV in top 40 U.S. TV markets
Apr 8, 2019 – At the 2019 NAB Show, a broad coalition of broadcast television station groups announced plans to deploy Next-Gen TV in the 40 largest U.S. TV markets by the end of 2020. The market-driven effort builds on the testing and rollouts that have already taken place.
News categories: Pearl TV, Anne Schelle, ATSC, Digital TV, NABShow, USA
Study shows strong interest in ATSC 3.0 Next-Gen Television concept
Oct 16, 2018 – In an update to a 2017 U.S. study, consumers continue to show exceptionally strong interest in the Next-Gen Television service (ATSC 3.0) that will offer free live OTA TV programming with added features.
News categories: Pearl TV, Magid, Anne Schelle, Bill Hague, Brian Markwalter, Digital TV, Market Research, Terrestrial, USA
CTA publishes Recommended Practice for ATSC 3.0 television sets
Sep 27, 2017 – The Consumer Technology Association's (CTA) Technology & Standards Fall Forum kicked off with the publication of guidelines to improve the capabilities of TV sets decoding ATSC 3.0 signals. The guidelines aim to help improve the user-experience.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Brian Markwalter, ATSC, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
Streaming Video Alliance and CTA to co-develop streaming media QoE guidelines
Sep 15, 2016 – The Streaming Video Alliance and the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) have announced its collaboration to develop industry-wide guidelines pertaining to streaming media Quality of Experience (QoE).
News categories: Streaming Video Alliance, Consumer Technology Association, Jason Thibeault, Brian Markwalter, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, Worldwide
CEA defines 'HDR Compatible' displays
Aug 27, 2015 – The CEA has announced the industry definition for high dynamic range (HDR) compatible video displays. HDR is a new capability that promises to deliver an expansive range of brightness and shadow detail, further enhancing the viewing experience.
News categories: Consumer Electronics Association, Brian Markwalter, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
U.S. 4K UHD display shipments to reach 4 million in 2015
Jan 5, 2015 – According to research to be released by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), shipments of 4K UHD displays in teh U.S. are projected to reach four million units in 2015, marking a 208 percent increase over 2014.
News categories: Consumer Electronics Association, Gary Shapiro, Brian Markwalter, CES, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
OTT-only TV households to exceed DTT-only TV household in the U.S.
Jun 5, 2014 – According to the CEA, the percentage of U.S. households with a television that relies exclusively on an antenna for TV reception is about to be eclipsed for the first time ever by the percentage relying only on the Internet for TV.
News categories: Consumer Electronics Association, Gary Shapiro, Brian Markwalter, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, OTT, USA
CEA announces publication of new DTV Interface standard
Jul 15, 2013 – The CEA has announced publication of CEA-861-F, A DTV Profile for Uncompressed High-Speed Digital Interfaces. This standard applies to DTV-related high-speed digital physical interfaces, such as: HDMI, DVI 1.0, and Open LDI specifications.
News categories: Consumer Electronics Association, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
CEA Announces Five New Standards, Including Accessibility, 3D Video
Jul 9, 2012 – The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) has announced five new standards, ranging in topic from accessibility to 3D video to wireless charging, which are now available to guide designers as they develop products for consumers.
News categories: Consumer Electronics Association, Techstreet, Digital TV, USA, VR
- Evergent and Synamedia partner to power and monetize video experience
- TiVo integrates demographics, ad airings, and mobile devices into TV Viewership Data
- Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H audio patents to LG
- AminoTV deployed on multi-tenant platform at DELTA and Caiway
- China Smart Speaker surge puts Baidu, Alibaba, Xiaomi in reach of Amazon and Google
- OTT monitoring and compliance market to expand at a CAGR of 15.8%
- Wirecard provides international payment services for BluTV
- SUPER RTL selects 3SS for Kividoo Kids service relaunch
- Rakuten LIVE interactive streaming service launched
- Sony and Microsoft to collaborate on cloud for D2C entertainment and AI
- IoT now numbers 22 billion devices, but where is the revenue?
- Insys Video automates celebrity identification and inappropriate content detection
- HbbTV Association adds seven new members
- Beximco launches AKASH DTH in Bangladesh
- b<>com and Viaccess-Orca partner to detect video piracy
- IDC expects worldwide semiconductor revenue to drop 7.2% in 2019
- Pay TV subscribers in Romania up 3% in 2018
- IABM report shows squeezed margins but continuing optimism
- Rostelecom pay TV subscribers up 3% YoY in 1Q 2019
- WMYD to host Detroit’s first Next-Gen TV station