Digital TV News: CBS
CBS and Viacom to combine
Aug 13, 2019 – CBS (NYSE: CBS.A, CBS) and Viacom (NASDAQ: VIA, VIAB) have agreed to merge. The combined company, ViacomCBS, will be a global, multiplatform, premium content company, with the assets, capabilities and scale to be one of the most important content producers and providers in the world.
News categories: Viacom, CBS, Bob Bakish, Joe Ianniello, Shari Redstone, Digital TV, MnA, USA, Worldwide
Block Communications renews with Nielsen for Local TV data
Jun 19, 2019 – Nielsen (NYSE: NLSN) and Block Communications have signed a renewal agreement for Nielsen Local TV measurement services across Block’s TV stations and markets. Block stations in Louisville will continue to use Nielsen data to demonstrate value to advertisers.
News categories: Nielsen, Block Communications, Catherine Herkovic, Bill Lamb, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, USA
Fox Corp and ad agencies join Project OAR addressable TV consortium
Jun 13, 2019 – Fox Corporation has joined the Project OAR addressable TV advertising consortium. In addition, Project OAR has formed an Agency Advisory Committee with participation from Publicis Media, Omnicom Media Group, GroupM, IPG/Magna, Dentsu Aegis Network, Havas and Horizon Media.
News categories: Project OAR, Fox Corp, Dan Callahan, Jonathan Steuer, Helen Katz, Zeev Neumeier, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
IAS builds Connected TV video ad verification solution
Jun 5, 2019 – Integral Ad Science (IAS) has announced a verification solution to validate that CTV video ads are played to completion, fraud-free. During the pilot, IAS integrated with eight US video publishers including CBS Interactive and NBCUniversal.
News categories: Integral Ad Science, CBS Interactive, NBCUniversal, Lisa Utzschneider, Jarred Wilichinsky, Mike Reidy, Advertising, Digital TV, OTT, USA
VIZIO announces SmartCast 3.0 smart TV experience rollout
May 21, 2019 – VIZIO has announced new features coming to VIZIO SmartCast 3.0, the latest iteration of its smart TV experience designed to bring users more of the entertainment they love, all in one place. The new updates and features will begin to roll out in the coming weeks.
News categories: VIZIO, Bill Baxter, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA, UX
IAB releases for comment specification to improve video advertising
Apr 23, 2019 – The IAB Technology Laboratory has released SIMID for public comment, a specification designed to replace VPAID and increase transparency and security, while increasing support for creativity and interactive capabilities.
News categories: IAB Tech Lab, Dennis Buchheim, Jarred Wilichinsky, Peentoo Patel, Advertising, Digital TV, Media Player, USA, Worldwide
Verizon makes YouTube TV available to its customers
Apr 23, 2019 – Verizon and Google have announced a partnership to bring YouTube TV to Verizon customers. YouTube TV membership includes six accounts per household, each with its own unique recommendations and personal DVR with no storage space limits.
News categories: Verizon, YouTube TV, Erin McPherson, Heather Rivera, Digital TV, OTT, USA
YouTube Apps to launch on Fire TV; Prime Video on Chromecast and Android TV
Apr 18, 2019 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) and Google (NASDAQ: GOOGL) have announced that the official YouTube app will soon launch on Amazon Fire TV devices and Fire TV Edition smart TVs, and that the Prime Video app will be available for streaming to Chromecast and Chromecast built-in devices.
News categories: Prime Video, YouTube, Android TV, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
605 and Research Measurement Technologies measure contextual impact of TV
Apr 11, 2019 – 605 has announced a strategic relationship with Research Measurement Technologies (RMT). 605 will combine its analytics and measurement footprint with RMT’s context-based psychographic data to measure the contextual impact that ad placement has on brand and sales outcomes.
News categories: 605, Research Measurement Technologies, Ben Tatta, Gaurav Shirole, Bill McKenna, Bill Harvey, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, USA
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS
- Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018
- LG Uplus adds 92,000 IPTV subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Huawei launches HarmonyOS distributed operating system
- ZTE and China Mobile broadcast China's first 5G sporting event
- Singtel TV subscribers up 1,100 in 2Q 2019
- Deutsche Telekom MagentaTV subscribers up 58,000 in 2Q 2019