Digital TV News: Cable One
Pay TV revenues to plunge to $150 billion
May 28, 2020 – According to Digital TV Research, global pay TV revenues peaked in 2016 at $202 billion. Revenues will fall to $150 billion in 2025 - despite the number of pay TV subscribers rising by 35 million between 2019 and 2025.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
Comcast to bring HBO Max to Xfinity customers
May 27, 2020 – Comcast has announced that existing Xfinity HBO customers will have access to HBO Max at no additional cost via the HBO Max app and website while the companies work to quickly bring the app to the Xfinity X1 and Xfinity Flex platforms.
News categories: Comcast, WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Rebecca Heap, Rich Warren, Digital TV
HBO Max launched in the U.S.
May 27, 2020 – WarnerMedia’s streaming platform, HBO Max, has officially launched. The launch is the culmination of efforts to bring the best of WarnerMedia together to launch the new offering, following AT&T’s acquisition of Time Warner.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Bob Greenblatt, Digital TV, OTT, USA
SES unveils results of Philippines TV market reception survey
May 27, 2020 – SES has revealed the results of its first TV market reception survey in the Philippines. Satellite TV (17%) is the second-most popular mode of TV reception, behind terrestrial TV (66%) but ahead of cable TV (15%) and IPTV (2%).
News categories: SES S.A, Yew Weng Soo, Digital TV, Market Research, Philippines
WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
May 20, 2020 – WarnerMedia has announced that the latest companies to sign on to distribute HBO Max at launch include Altice USA, Cox Communications, Microsoft, National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC), Samsung, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Verizon.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Rich Warren, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Games Console, IPTV, OTT, USA
Telestream integrates Ad-ID validation to ensure correct ad placement
May 19, 2020 – Telestream has announced Vantage Ad-ID Integration. Ad-ID is the industry standard for identifying advertising assets. Ad-ID integration enables Vantage to validate that the correct ads are being played out in the right place at the right time.
News categories: Telestream, Ad-ID, Scott Matics, Harold S Geller, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Worldwide
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost about 2,065,000 subscribers in 1Q 2020
May 14, 2020 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 2,065,000 net video subscribers in 1Q 2020, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 1,025,000 subscribers in 1Q 2019.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Global pay TV subscribers at 1.06 billion in 2025
May 14, 2020 – Digital TV Research forecasts 35 million additional pay TV subscribers between 2019 and 2025, taking the global total to 1.06 billion. The number of pay TV subscribers passed one billion in 2018.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Terrestrial, Worldwide
U.S. cable and telco broadband subscribers up 1,165,000 in 1Q 2020
May 13, 2020 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest cable and telephone providers in the U.S. acquired about 1,165,000 net additional broadband subscribers in 1Q 2020, compared to a gain of about 955,000 in 1Q 2019.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Broadband, COVID-19, Market Research, USA
- ATRESMEDIA and smartclip deepen HbbTV advertising partnership
- Comscore, Kantar extend measurement partnership with Auditel Italy
- Pay TV revenues to plunge to $150 billion
- Cable-Tec Expo unable to go ahead
- Sisvel announces first VP9 and AV1 patent licensees
- Comcast to bring HBO Max to Xfinity customers
- HBO Max launched in the U.S.
- Nordic households spending €149pm on media and access services
- SES unveils results of Philippines TV market reception survey
- Over half of U.S. adults watching more TV since the pandemic
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Las Vegas
- Shifts in viewing behavior continue during COVID-19 pandemic
- Dailymotion and Huawei Video announce global video partnership
- SoftAtHome builds RDK-based video product for service providers
- Nordija integrates Yospace ad insertion technology
- iQIYI partners MediaTek for AV1-powered Ultra HD streaming
- Bitė to acquire Telecentras' IPTV business in Lithuania
- World's fastest internet speed from a single optical chip
- Disney+ attracts 2 million Australian viewers in 4 months
- Global TV shipments to fall 5.8% in 2020