Digital TV News: CableLabs
Introducing 10G: The next great leap for broadband
Jan 7, 2019 – NCTA, CableLabs and Cable Europe have introduced, at CES, the cable industry’s vision for delivering 10 gigabit networks, or 10G to consumers. To support the rollout, Intel will deliver 10G-ready technology from the network infrastructure to home gateways.
News categories: NCTA, CableLabs, Cable Europe, Intel Corp, Michael Powell, Phil McKinney, Broadband, Cable TV, CES2019, Digital TV, Semiconductor, USA, Worldwide
U.S. set-top box energy efficiency voluntary agreement extended
Mar 15, 2018 – The CTA and NCTA have announced a four-year extension of the Voluntary Agreement for Ongoing Improvement to the Energy Efficiency of Set-Top Boxes, initially signed in 2012. The extended agreement is expected to save consumers energy and avoid CO2 emissions.
News categories: NCTA, Consumer Technology Association, Neal Goldberg, Doug Johnson, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA
Kaon adopts monitoring from Greenwave Systems for cable devices
Oct 16, 2017 – Greenwave Systems has announced a customer deployment of AXON Predict™, its real-time visual edge analytics solution with Kaon. This follows Greenwave's introduction of AXON Predict earlier this year as part of the company's AXON Platform.
News categories: Greenwave, KAON, Roger Gregory, Ted Grauch, Big Data, Cable TV, Digital TV, Gateway, QoE, SCTE•ISBE, Set Top Box, USA
Savings from U.S. STB energy agreement top $2 billion
Aug 2, 2017 – Consumers saved approximately $941 million in energy costs in 2016 – and almost $2.1 billion over the last four years – as a result of the voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement among U.S. pay-TV providers, manufacturers and energy efficiency advocates.
News categories: ACEEE, D+R International, Jennifer Thorne Amann, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, USA
Canada pay TV industry announces STB efficiency agreement
Jan 17, 2017 – Canadian Pay TV service providers along with set-top box manufacturers have finalized a voluntary agreement committing themselves to improving the energy efficiency of set-top boxes.
News categories: CEEVA, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Set Top Box
Industry forum formed to boost VR adoption
Jan 5, 2017 – At CES, 28 companies announced the Virtual Reality Industry Forum (VRIF), a not-for-profit company with its purpose stated as: “To further the widespread availability of high-quality audiovisual VR experiences, for the benefit of consumers.”
News categories: Virtual Reality Industry Forum, David Price, Chris Johns, CES2019, Digital TV, VR, Worldwide
AllSeen Alliance and Open Connectivity Foundation to merge
Oct 10, 2016 – The Open Connectivity Foundation (OCF), sponsor of the IoTivity open source project, and AllSeen Alliance, which provides the AllJoyn open source IoT framework, have announced that the two organizations are to merge.
News categories: Open Connectivity Foundation, AllSeen Alliance, Mike Richmond, Danny Lousberg, MnA, Smart Home, Worldwide
Liberty Global and CableLabs join MulteFire Alliance
Sep 21, 2016 – Liberty Global and CableLabs have announced that they have joined the MulteFire Alliance, an independent, diverse and international member-driven consortium dedicated to developing next-generation wireless technology.
News categories: MulteFire Alliance, Liberty Global, CableLabs, Mazen Chmaytelli, Balan Nair, Ralph Brown, Rob Alderfer, 5G, Cable TV, Digital TV, Smart Home, Worldwide
Ultra HD Forum makes industry guidelines public
Sep 6, 2016 – The Ultra HD Forum has made the latest version of its industry Guidelines public prior to IBC. The Ultra HD Forum Guidelines Working Group is currently working on future versions of the document.
News categories: Ultra HD Forum, KPN, David Price, Thierry Fautier, Don Eklund, Arian Koster, Digital TV, IBCShow, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
- beIN dispute hits MENA pay TV subscribers
- Steady growth masks seismic shifts in US video and TV market
- BlackBerry joins the Velos Media licensing platform
- Singapore to introduce measures against illicit streaming devices
- BritBox surpasses half a million subscribers
- DAZN drives global growth via social video with Grabyo
- Euskaltel decoders now integrate Amazon Prime Video
- Cox Media and Nielsen renew TV and audio measurement agreement
- OTT TV market far from being saturated
- TDG research shows sensitivity of Netflix subscribers to price rises
- Sinclair Broadcast launches free TV streaming service, STIRR
- Wurl launches server-side ad insertion for Connected TVs
- 16% of U.S. broadband households share online video passwords
- OTE agrees to sell Telekom Albania to Albania Telecom Invest
- Mediamorph achieves record customer acquisitions in 2018
- Half of all U.S. video viewing is done with others
- ShortsTV selects Synacor's Cloud Identity Platform
- SpotX releases '2019 Video Advertising Trends' report
- Mirada multiscreen solution launches at One Communications in Bermuda
- Vestel releases first CASTVs with integrated broadcast pay TV