Digital TV News: Comcast
U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
Aug 13, 2019 – Consumers saved approximately $1.6 billion in energy costs in 2018 alone as a result of the voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement among pay-TV providers, manufacturers, energy efficiency advocates and the CTA and NCTA.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, NCTA, Natural Resources Defense Council, Doug Johnson, Neal Goldberg, Noah Horowitz, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, USA
Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
Aug 12, 2019 – According to the Leichtman Research Group (LRG), the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 1,530,000 net video subscribers in 2Q 2019, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 420,000 subscribers in 2Q 2018.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Comcast Spotlight launches Local TV attribution with TVSquared
Aug 7, 2019 – Comcast Spotlight has announced the launch of an attribution solution that will bring greater accountability to local TV advertising. The product, launched in partnership with TVSquared, allows local cable TV advertisers to measure lower-funnel activity.
News categories: Comcast Spotlight, TVSquared, Hank Oster, Jo Kinsella, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, USA
U.S. TV viewing reverses declines
Aug 2, 2019 – Comcast Spotlight has launch its inaugural TV Viewership Report. One of the most notable findings coming out of this edition was that TV viewership is at a two-year high, reversing the trend of decline that Comcast Spotlight has seen since it began tracking this data in 2017.
News categories: Comcast Spotlight, Brendan Condon, Andrea Zapata, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
U.S. standalone pay TV ARPU declined 10% from 2016 to 2018
Aug 1, 2019 – Research from Parks Associates finds that U.S. average standalone pay-TV ARPU declined 10% from 2016 to 2018, with consumer-reported monthly spending on pay TV declining from $84 to $76. Pricing pressure is forcing increasing conflict in carriage negotiations.
News categories: Parks Associates, Elizabeth Parks, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Comcast cable video subscribers down 224,000 in 2Q 2019
Jul 25, 2019 – Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA) has reported results for the quarter ended June 30, 2019, including Cable Communications, NBCUniversal and Sky. At Cable Communications, total video customer net losses were 224,000 in the quarter.
News categories: Comcast, Cable TV, Digital TV, Results, Subscribers, USA
FreeWheel releases Q1 2019 Video Marketplace report
Jul 23, 2019 – FreeWheel has announced the launch of its Q1 2019 Video Marketplace Report, which shows a rise in targeted and addressable advertising. In Europe, there is a focus on data-driven targeting and automation as a growing number of publishers adopt an audience-first approach.
News categories: FreeWheel, Thomas Bremond, Advertising, Digital TV, Europe, USA
Peach advertising delivery platform launched
Jul 18, 2019 – Peach has announced that it has built an easy-to-use platform that is digital-native and designed to deliver across a diversifying media landscape. Peach automates video ad delivery for broadcasters, and social and digital media owners.
News categories: Peach, Doug Conely, Advertising, Digital TV, UK, Worldwide
Tastemade selects Telaria for programmatic OTT and CTV advertising
Jul 10, 2019 – Tastemade has selected Telaria (NYSE:TLRA) as a supply-side partner to monetize its OTT and connected TV inventory programmatically. The partnership will enable more programmatic advertisers to reach Tastemade's unique audience.
News categories: Telaria, Tastemade, Adam Lowy, Jeffrey Imberman, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, OTT, USA
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS
- Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018
- LG Uplus adds 92,000 IPTV subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Huawei launches HarmonyOS distributed operating system
- ZTE and China Mobile broadcast China's first 5G sporting event