Digital TV News: Consumer Technology Association
U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
Aug 13, 2019 – Consumers saved approximately $1.6 billion in energy costs in 2018 alone as a result of the voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement among pay-TV providers, manufacturers, energy efficiency advocates and the CTA and NCTA.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, NCTA, Natural Resources Defense Council, Doug Johnson, Neal Goldberg, Noah Horowitz, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, USA
U.S. consumer technology sales to exceed $400bn in 2019
Jul 15, 2019 – The growing popularity of streaming services, artificial intelligence (AI)-enabled emerging devices and in-vehicle technology will help drive the U.S. consumer tech industry to a record-breaking $401 billion in retail revenues in 2019, according to the CTA.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Gary Shapiro, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
Cleveland field test shows ATSC 3.0 UHD HDR in a challenging urban environment
May 23, 2019 – In a field test conducted under the auspices of the NAB in Cleveland, OH, an engineering team of industry participants showed how ATSC 3.0 can enhance the technological performance and economic value of existing broadcast infrastructures.
News categories: Technicolor, National Association of Broadcasters, Alan Stein, Kelly Williams, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
Smart Speakers see largest gain in U.S. household ownership
May 9, 2019 – One-third of U.S. homes (31%) now own a smart speaker – up from 8% only three years ago and a record-setting example of Americans embracing AI-enabled devices – according to a Consumer Technology Association (CTA) study.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Steve Koenig, Market Research, Smart Home, USA
Build-out plans announced for Next-Gen TV in top 40 U.S. TV markets
Apr 8, 2019 – At the 2019 NAB Show, a broad coalition of broadcast television station groups announced plans to deploy Next-Gen TV in the 40 largest U.S. TV markets by the end of 2020. The market-driven effort builds on the testing and rollouts that have already taken place.
News categories: Pearl TV, Anne Schelle, ATSC, Digital TV, NABShow, USA
Nielsen audience measurement watermark transmitted over ATSC 3.0
Apr 3, 2019 – The NAB has announced the successful transmission of a Nielsen audience measurement watermark – inaudible signals in a program’s audio that helps identify the program for audience measurement purposes – using the new ATSC 3.0 broadcast transmission standard.
News categories: National Association of Broadcasters, Nielsen, Sam Matheny, Catherine Herkovic, ATSC, Big Data, Digital TV, USA
Toluna surveys technology interests of U.S. consumers
Jan 8, 2019 – Toluna has released research on consumer electronics and technology trends ahead of CES. The company has studied US consumer adoption, purchase intent, and tech-influenced trends heading into the New Year.
News categories: Toluna, Jay Rampuria, Phil Ahad, CES, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, USA, VR
CTA expects record-breaking year for U.S. consumer technology in 2019
Jan 7, 2019 – Artificial intelligence and fast connectivity will drive the U.S. consumer technology industry to a record-breaking $398 billion in retail revenues in 2019 and 3.9% year-on-year growth, according to the CTA.
News categories: CTA, Gary Shapiro, Steve Koenig, CES, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
ATEME enable ATSC 3.0 field research at NAB/CTA test site in Cleveland
Dec 18, 2018 – ATEME is enabling real-world ATSC 3.0 field research and testing of next-generation television features at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB)/Consumer Technology Association (CTA) test station in Cleveland, OH.
News categories: ATEME, Chad Hassler, Dr. Mickael Raulet, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum reveals LatAm key findings
- Beeline deploys Kaltura TV Platform in Kazakhstan
- Spearad launches monetization technology for addressable TV and audio
- SmartLabs migrates legacy boxes for StarNet TV in Moldova
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient