Digital TV News: Consumer Technology Association
FCC to vote on plan to clear the way for ATSC 3.0 internet services
May 18, 2020 – FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr has announced that the FCC will vote on his plan to promote the build out of Broadcast Internet services, enabled by ATSC 3.0 and delivered over an efficient one-to-many architecture.
News categories: FCC, Dennis Wharton, Jamie Susskind, ATSC, Broadband, Digital TV, Regulation, USA
LG introduces ATSC 3.0-enabled OLED TVs in USA
Jan 8, 2020 – LG, co-developer of the ATSC 3.0 next-generation television standard, is ushering in the era of NEXTGEN TV with the introduction of six advanced new LG OLED TV models equipped to receive new services with enhanced content, pictures and sound.
News categories: LG Electronics, Tim Alessi, Gordon Smith, Anne Schelle, Madeleine Noland, ATSC, CES2020, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, USA
U.S. consumer technology sales to hit $422 billion in 2020
Jan 5, 2020 – Skyrocketing popularity of streaming services and wireless earbuds along with 5G connectivity and AI-enabled devices will drive revenue growth for the U.S. consumer tech industry to a record $422 billion in retail revenues in 2020, according to the CTA.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Gary Shapiro, CES2020, Digital TV, In-Car, Market Research, OTT, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
NEXTGEN TV powered by ATSC 3.0 takes center stage at CES 2020
Jan 3, 2020 – NEXTGEN TV, powered by ATSC 3.0, will be one of the key technologies highlighted at CES. The first U.S. consumer receivers with integrated NEXTGEN TV are expected to be announced, highlighting the key consumer benefits of the system.
News categories: ATSC, Madeleine Noland, Gary Shapiro, Gordon Smith, ATSC, CES2020, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Middleware, USA
LG to unveil 2020 8K TV lineup with next-gen AI at CES
Jan 3, 2020 – LG Electronics will introduce its expanded 8K TV lineup next week at CES 2020 – eight TVs with new 77- and 65-inch class models joining LG's existing 88- and 75-inch screen sizes. Every model exceeds the 8K Ultra HD definition set by the CTA.
News categories: LG Electronics, CES2020, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
LG first to exceed CTA's requirements for 8K Ultra HD TVs
Dec 16, 2019 – LG Electronics (LG) has announced that its TVs are the first in the world to exceed the requirements established by the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) to define the new generation of 8K Ultra HD products and services.
News categories: LG Electronics, Consumer Technology Association, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
'NEXTGEN TV' announced as go-to-market name for ATSC 3.0
Sep 26, 2019 – The CTA has announced 'NEXTGEN TV' as the go-to-market name for ATSC 3.0 technology. The association also unveiled a NEXTGEN TV logo for devices meeting newly developed ATSC 3.0 interoperability test specifications.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Gary Shapiro, Gordon Smith, Anne Schelle, John Taylor, ATSC, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, USA
CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
Sep 18, 2019 – The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) and its member companies have announced the official industry display definition and logo for 8K Ultra High-Definition (UHD) televisions – for use beginning with 2020 model products.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Gary Shapiro, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
Beamr shows live 8K HEVC software encoding on a single AMD EPYC processor
Sep 12, 2019 – Beamr has announced, with AMD (NASDAQ: AMD), that it has used Beamr 5, operating on a single socket AMD EPYC 7742 processor, to encode 79 frames per second in real-time at 8K resolution and with 10-bit color required for HDR.
News categories: Beamr, AMD, Eli Lubitch, Raghu Nambiar, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IBC2020, Semiconductor, Worldwide
- Evolution Digital launches Android TV device management platform
- Zixi powers 4K UHD Bloomberg TV+ service
- Telekom Malaysia selects Skyworth as 4K Android TV Operator Tier partner
- FourthWall Media adds Neilsen Smart TV ACR data to analytics platform
- TDS Telecom rolls-out IP video and Cloud DVR with Velocix
- A1now selects Vionlabs for AI-powered recommendations
- Global AVOD expenditure to double
- Gem Shopping Network to use Comscore TV measurement
- United Group makes strategic investment in Forthnet
- Disney+ and Apple TV+ both see success during first six months in the market
- Comcast, Charter and ViacomCBS announce Blockgraph partnership
- Britbox app now available on BT TV set-top boxes
- Conviva partners with Akamai on QoE intelligence
- ATRESMEDIA and smartclip deepen HbbTV advertising partnership
- Bouygues Telecom replaces set-top box with Smart TV app
- Comscore, Kantar extend measurement partnership with Auditel Italy
- Pay TV revenues to plunge to $150 billion
- Cable-Tec Expo unable to go ahead
- Sisvel announces first VP9 and AV1 patent licensees
- Comcast to bring HBO Max to Xfinity customers