Digital TV News: DR
FCC opens up for ATSC 3.0 license applications
May 23, 2019 – The Media Bureau of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has announced that it will begin accepting Next Generation Television (ATSC 3.0) license applications in the commission’s licensing and management system on May 28, 2019.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Regulation, USA
Sky Deutschland adds multiroom box to Sky Q offering
May 23, 2019 – One year after the launch of Sky Q by Sky Deutschland, the company has added a Sky Q Mini Box for multiroom viewing and expanded platform support for the Sky Q app, so that customers can enjoy their Sky programming on even more devices at home.
News categories: Sky Deutschland, Julia Laukemann, Apps, Austria, Digital TV, Germany, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart Home
2019 LG AI ThinQ TVs add Amazon Alexa support
May 23, 2019 – LG has begun adding Amazon Alexa support to the company’s 2019 TV models featuring artificial intelligence. The update will be implemented through the Alexa app on 2019 TVs featuring ThinQ AI including LG UHD TVs, NanoCell TVs and OLED TVs.
News categories: LG Electronics, Amazon Alexa, Brian Kwon, Apps, Australia, Austria, Canada, Digital TV, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Smart Home, Smart TV, Spain, UK, USA
Roku introduces analytics and planning tools for OTT advertisers
May 22, 2019 – Roku (NASDAQ: ROKU) has announced Activation Insights, a tool to target audiences that have shifted to OTT. The capability combines a review of a brand’s linear TV campaign performance with an analysis of the potential OTT audience missed and the optimal budget spend on the Roku platform.
News categories: Roku, Scott Rosenberg, Michael Piner, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, OTT, USA
TiVo integrates demographics, ad airings, and mobile devices into TV Viewership Data
May 21, 2019 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) has announced that its TV Viewership Data product is being expanded to include Kantar ad occurrences, Drawbridge's Identity Graph and demographic attributes, giving TiVo customers an expanded data offering with more flexibility.
News categories: TiVo Corp, Drawbridge, Kantar, Ben Maughan, Jon DeGennaro, Vik Sharma, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Mobile, USA, Worldwide
AminoTV deployed on multi-tenant platform at DELTA and Caiway
May 21, 2019 – Amino has announced the first deployment of AminoTV on a multi-tenant platform at DELTA and Caiway in the Netherlands. This follows the acquisition of the two providers by EQT and their subsequent merger into DELTA Fiber.
News categories: Amino, DELTA Fiber, Donald McGarva, John Wittekamp, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IPTV, Middleware, Netherlands, Set Top Box
China Smart Speaker surge puts Baidu, Alibaba, Xiaomi in reach of Amazon and Google
May 20, 2019 – Sales of smart speakers in China in the first quarter of 2019 grew by more than 500% year-on-year, according to Strategy Analytics. This lifted global Q1 sales to 25.9 million, a 168% increase on the same period in 2018.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, China, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
SpotX and Jukin Media partner for connected TV monetization
May 20, 2019 – As the largest contributor to the programmatic monetization of Jukin Media's ad-supported linear streaming channels, SpotX has helped Jukin Media to gain traction in advertising on its considerable connected TV footprint.
News categories: SpotX, Jukin Media, Geoff Spence, Zach Alter, Advertising, Digital TV, USA
Sony’s first 8K TVs go on sale in early June
May 20, 2019 – Sony Europe has announced the pricing and availability of its MASTER Series ZG9 8K HDR Full Array LED TVs. The MASTER Series TVs feature Netflix Calibrated Mode and IMAX Enhanced to ensure that content is delivered as intended.
News categories: Sony Europe, Digital TV, Europe, Smart TV
- FCC opens up for ATSC 3.0 license applications
- Sky Deutschland adds multiroom box to Sky Q offering
- Openview STB activations growing at 35,000 per month
- 2019 LG AI ThinQ TVs add Amazon Alexa support
- Telcos to dominate Western European pay TV
- Roku introduces analytics and planning tools for OTT advertisers
- IHS Markit and Informa to exchange business units
- Evergent and Synamedia partner to power and monetize video experience
- TiVo integrates demographics, ad airings, and mobile devices into TV Viewership Data
- Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H audio patents to LG
- AminoTV deployed on multi-tenant platform at DELTA and Caiway
- China Smart Speaker surge puts Baidu, Alibaba, Xiaomi in reach of Amazon and Google
- SpotX and Jukin Media partner for connected TV monetization
- OTT monitoring and compliance market to expand at a CAGR of 15.8%
- Sony’s first 8K TVs go on sale in early June
- Wirecard provides international payment services for BluTV
- SUPER RTL selects 3SS for Kividoo Kids service relaunch
- Rakuten LIVE interactive streaming service launched
- Sony and Microsoft to collaborate on cloud for D2C entertainment and AI
- IoT now numbers 22 billion devices, but where is the revenue?