Digital TV News: DTG
DTG defines latest UK TV industry requirements with D-Book 11
Oct 31, 2018 – The DTG has published the latest version of the D-Book, its technical standard for TV and DTT in the UK. The D-Book is updated annually with the collaboration of industry, underpinning Freeview, YouView, Freesat, EE TV, BT TV and TalkTalk TV.
News categories: DTG, Freeview, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Guy North, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
DTG releases D-Book 10 Conformance Test Suites
Jun 29, 2018 – D-Book 10 conformance Test Suites are now available. The first addition to the Test Suites is Linear Services tests for testing HEVC at HD and UHD resolution. A second addition is Option 12 signalling included in the UK SI DVB-T2 test suite.
News categories: DTG Testing, Ian Medland, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
DTG releases D-Book 10 DTT specification for the UK
Nov 3, 2017 – The DTG’s D-Book 10 is the industry determined, next generation, universally deployed specification which supports future interactive services and enables the continuing transition towards HbbTV.
News categories: DTG, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Peter Seller, Dr. Klaus Illgner, Laurie Patten, Guy North, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
UK D-Book 9 Conformance Test Suites now available
Jul 28, 2017 – D-Book 9 Conformance Test Suites are now available to assist with the transition from MHEG to HbbTV, which was introduced for UK DTT in the DTG’s D-Book 9 published in November 2016. The Test Suites are used as part of the Conformance Regime for Freeview HD and Freeview Play TMLs.
News categories: DTG Testing, Freeview, Ian Medland, Mike Jones, Digital TV, HbbTV, MHEG-5, Terrestrial, UK
Opera TV to show latest HbbTV 2.0.1 features with the BBC
Mar 28, 2017 – Opera TV has announced that the Opera TV Hybrid TV Module, which previously included support for HbbTV 2.0.1, now also features Companion Screen and Media-Synchronization capabilities. Opera TV has collaborated with BBC R&D to show the features at TV Connect.
News categories: Opera TV, BBC, Aneesh Rajaram, Digital TV, HbbTV, HTML5, Multiscreen, Set Top Box, TVConnect, UK
Industry forum formed to boost VR adoption
Jan 5, 2017 – At CES, 28 companies announced the Virtual Reality Industry Forum (VRIF), a not-for-profit company with its purpose stated as: “To further the widespread availability of high-quality audiovisual VR experiences, for the benefit of consumers.”
News categories: Virtual Reality Industry Forum, David Price, Chris Johns, CES2019, Digital TV, VR, Worldwide
Freeview UK embarks on an all HD future
Dec 22, 2016 – High definition TV will become the norm in the UK from 1st January 2017 as the Freeview logo is withdrawn from new SD TVs and set-top boxes. Freeview is the UK’s most widely used TV service, currently watched in 19m homes.
News categories: Freeview, DTG, Guy North, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
UK's DTG releases D-Book 9 DTT specification
Nov 3, 2016 – The DTG’s D-Book 9 introduces recommended guidelines for products delivering free-to-air DTT content within the home network. Representing thousands of man hours of work by contributors from across the industry this annual update replaces D-Book 8.
News categories: DTG, Digital UK, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Pete Sellar, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview Play spec adds HEVC and Ultra HD via broadband
Sep 23, 2016 – Digital UK has published an updated technical specification for Freeview Play, setting out new features and requirements for products developed during 2017. Freeview Play combines live television with catch-up TV and on-demand services, making it easy for viewers to watch what they want, when they want.
News categories: Digital UK, James Jackson, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
- Androidmov Technology unveils IPTV UX software
- Updated specifications for digital distribution of film and TV released
- 2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
- EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
- 28% of U.S. smart speaker owners use it to control a smart home device
- Consumer IoT to be worth $6.6bn for telcos
- Viaccess-Orca to power Guigo TV live OTT service in Brazil
- Turkcell chooses Metrological to provide TV+ app store
- Wyplay source code powers Telefónica IPTV in Argentina
- EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
- Verizon begins Fios TV One rollout
- Vubiquity and Discover Digital launch VOD with TelOne Zimbabwe
- Telefonica Spain upgrades Movistar+ UI to add Netflix
- Go See TV and Flowplayer launch Shoppable Content Player
- Nordija wins IPTV contract from US fibre operator Ting
- Deutsche Telekom and MediaKind first to stream 6K tiled 360° live sport
- Shanghai sees world's first 4K UHD live broadcast via 5G network slicing
- Freeview NZ PVR combines Freeview features with streaming apps
- Mirada wins contract with Skytel in Mongolia
- 7Park Data tracks path from SVOD viewing to buying on Amazon.com