Digital TV News: Department of Information and Communications Technology
Build-out plans announced for Next-Gen TV in top 40 U.S. TV markets
Apr 8, 2019 – At the 2019 NAB Show, a broad coalition of broadcast television station groups announced plans to deploy Next-Gen TV in the 40 largest U.S. TV markets by the end of 2020. The market-driven effort builds on the testing and rollouts that have already taken place.
News categories: Pearl TV, Anne Schelle, ATSC, Digital TV, NABShow, USA
Unitymedia adopts Telestream iQ for video monitoring and analytics
Jun 19, 2018 – Telestream has announced a project with Unitymedia that sees Unitymedia adopting advanced video monitoring and analytics platforms throughout its network. In addition, Telestream will supply intelligent media processing and file-based QC.
News categories: Telestream, Unitymedia, Telestream, Florian Münz, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Germany, QoE
Spatial adaptivity can improve energy efficiency of broadcast TV
May 9, 2017 – Research by engineers at the University of Bristol has shown that internet enabled TV devices are now capable of relaying signal strength information back to broadcasters in order to improve energy efficiency.
News categories: University of Bristol, Dr Peter Bagot, Mark Beach, Professor Andrew Nix, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Terrestrial, UK, Worldwide
Philippines launches DTT migration plan
Feb 10, 2017 – The Philippines' Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) has launched its Digital Terrestrial Television Broadcasting (DTTB) Migration Plan, consisting of policies and regulations as well as technical and fiscal considerations necessary for the country's migration to digital TV broadcasting.
News categories: Department of Information and Communications Technology, Digital TV, ISDB-T, Philippines, Regulation, Terrestrial
South Africa will not switch-off analogue TV by June 17th
Mar 8, 2015 – South Africa's Department of Communications has issued a new Broadcasting Digital Migration policy. A set-top box control system will be required only to encourage local manufacturing. The country will not meet the ITU deadline for the switch-off of analogue television.
News categories: Department of Communications, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
Skyworth and China Telecom launch smart TV with embedded G.hn powerline connectivity
Jan 6, 2015 – Marvell (NASDAQ:MRVL) has announced that Skyworth and China Telecom have launched the world's first Smart TV with embedded G.hn powerline connectivity powered by Marvell's G.hn platform solution.
News categories: Marvell, Skyworth, China Telecom, Weili Dai, Liu Tangzhi, Liu Ping, CES, China, Digital TV, IPTV, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Smart TV
OKI completes IPv6-based 4K video distribution trial
Mar 21, 2013 – OKI (TOKYO:6703) recently concluded successful trials based on the OKI MediaServer video distribution system as part of efforts to promote ITU-T IPTV Standards. These trials involved the distribution of 4K video content based on state-of-the-art IPTV technologies.
News categories: Oki Electric, Content Distribution, IPTV
Altech Opens World Class Factory for the Manufacture of Digital Set-Top Boxes
Aug 2, 2011 – Altech UEC (Johannesburg: ALT) has consolidated six buildings on two sites into a single, 13,500m2 state-of-the-art factory at Mount Edgecombe as South Africa begins its migration to digital terrestrial television (DTT).
News categories: Altech UEC, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
Evolution Digital Continues to Secure uDTA Business Throughout the US
Jul 6, 2011 – Evolution Digital is providimg uDTAs to WEHCO Video, a communications company serving residential and business accounts in 13 communities in 4 states. Wehco Video is currently deploying uDTAs to reclaim bandwidth for launching HD programming.
News categories: Evolution Digital, WEHCO, Cable TV, Digital TV, Set Top Box, USA
- FCC opens up for ATSC 3.0 license applications
- Sky Deutschland adds multiroom box to Sky Q offering
- Openview STB activations growing at 35,000 per month
- 2019 LG AI ThinQ TVs add Amazon Alexa support
- Telcos to dominate Western European pay TV
- Roku introduces analytics and planning tools for OTT advertisers
- IHS Markit and Informa to exchange business units
- Evergent and Synamedia partner to power and monetize video experience
- TiVo integrates demographics, ad airings, and mobile devices into TV Viewership Data
- Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H audio patents to LG
- AminoTV deployed on multi-tenant platform at DELTA and Caiway
- China Smart Speaker surge puts Baidu, Alibaba, Xiaomi in reach of Amazon and Google
- SpotX and Jukin Media partner for connected TV monetization
- OTT monitoring and compliance market to expand at a CAGR of 15.8%
- Sony’s first 8K TVs go on sale in early June
- Wirecard provides international payment services for BluTV
- SUPER RTL selects 3SS for Kividoo Kids service relaunch
- Rakuten LIVE interactive streaming service launched
- Sony and Microsoft to collaborate on cloud for D2C entertainment and AI
- IoT now numbers 22 billion devices, but where is the revenue?