Digital TV News: Digital TV Research
Asia Pacific OTT to generate $48 billion
Mar 18, 2019 – Asia Pacific OTT TV episode and movie revenues will reach $48 billion in 2024; up from the $21 billion recorded in 2018. According to Digital TV Research, the total will increase by $5 billion in 2019 alone.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Asia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
IPTV drives Asia’s pay TV growth
Mar 11, 2019 – According to Digital TV Research, the Asia Pacific pay TV sector is vibrant, with both subscribers and revenues expected to rise over the next five years. However, the numbers are lower than previously forecast, mainly due to cable subscribers in China converting to OTT.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Asia, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Synamedia DRM and watermarking gain ChinaDRM Lab certification
Feb 28, 2019 – Synamedia has announced that its Rapid Watermark solution and VideoGuard DRM offering have been certified by the ChinaDRM Lab. The certification comes at a time of booming demand for premium OTT content from Chinese consumers.
News categories: Synamedia, ChinaDRM, Sue Couto, China, Digital TV, DRM, OTT
Linius successfully tests world’s first anti-piracy blockchain prototype
Feb 19, 2019 – Linius Technologies’ (ASX: LNU) has successfully tested the world's first video blockchain. Linius used smart contracts to control and transact video as a digital asset within blockchain – for the first time.
News categories: Linius Technologies, Chris Richardson, Australia, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Worldwide
MENA SVOD revenues to triple
Jan 28, 2019 – MENA SVOD revenues will reach $2.13 billion by 2024; or $1.51 billion more than the 2018 total. SVOD revenues will more than triple between 2018 and 2024, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East, OTT
beIN dispute hits MENA pay TV subscribers
Jan 21, 2019 – According to Digital TV Research, pay TV revenues for 20 MENA countries fell by 11% between 2016 and 2018 to just under $3 billion. Given the hangover from the beIN ban and falling ARPUs, revenues in 2024 will still be lower than in 2016.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East
African OTT TV revenues to reach $1 billion
Jan 14, 2019 – According to Digital TV Research, Sub-Saharan African OTT movie and TV episode revenues will reach $1,018 million by 2024 – up from $223 million in 2018. Despite this quintupling of revenues, Africa still has a lot of potential growth in the long-term.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Ethiopia, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, OTT, South Africa, Tanzania
Africa to add 16 million pay TV subscribers between 2018 and 2024
Jan 7, 2019 – Sub-Saharan Africa is forecast to add more than 16 million pay TV subscribers between 2018 and 2024 to bring its total to 45.63 million, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Subscribers
Global SVOD revenues climb to $35 billion
Nov 12, 2018 – Global SVOD revenues will reach $35.04 billion in 2018. That’s $10 billion more than the 2017 total and more than triple the 2015 total. Digital TV Research expects 474 million SVOD subscriptions globally by end-2018.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, China, Digital TV, Germany, Japan, Market Research, OTT, UK, USA, Worldwide
- 29% of Indonesian consumers use pirated TV boxes
- Comcast launches streaming platform for Xfinity Internet customers
- Immersive Digital Experiences Alliance to debut at NAB Show 2019
- Cablecolor partners with moTV for hybrid TV in Honduras
- Global theatrical and home entertainment market at $96.8bn in 2018
- 24i Media acquires StreamOne
- Tencent Video subscriptions up 58% to 89 million at end-2018
- TVU Networks and KT to establish 5G UHD broadcast network in Korea
- Local online video actors particularly strong in the Nordics
- After a period of stagnation, STB shipments on the rise again
- Kaltura and 3SS offer joint personalized Cloud TV solution
- Panasonic launches smart TV with HbbTV OpApp for HD+ in Germany
- China Central Television selects Harmonic media server for UHD playout
- Consumers moving away from traditional forms of entertainment and media consumption
- NAGRA to showcase approach to pay TV business transformation at NAB 2019
- U.S. consumers piecing together their own personalized entertainment experiences
- Involuntary cancellations a huge problem for the SVOD industry
- FPT launches Vietnam's first Android TV 9.0 smart device with SDMC
- NCC Media connects online inventory to its TV advertising platform
- MediaKind to debut Universe portfolio at NAB Show 2019