Digital TV News: Digital TV Research
Operator 5G boosted by strong projections for 5G PCs and tablets
Jul 16, 2019 – Research from Strategy Analytics shows that 45 million PCs and tablets globally will incorporate 5G connectivity by 2023, offering mobile operators a fresh opportunity to sell the advantages and new use cases of high-speed cellular connectivity.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Eric Smith, David Mercer, 5G, Market Research, Tablet, Worldwide
27% of US broadband households engage in some form of piracy or account sharing
Jul 16, 2019 – Parks Associates research forecasts that in 2019, U.S. OTT and pay-TV companies will see $9.1 billion in lost revenue due to piracy and account sharing. This number is expected to grow to $12.5 billion in 2024, a growth rate of 38%.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Content Protection, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Dalet to acquire Ooyala Flex Media Platform business
Jul 15, 2019 – Dalet has signed an agreement to acquire the Ooyala Flex Media Platform business. Ooyala Flex Media Platform is a subscription/SaaS offering that provides a solution for servicing OTT and digital media distribution workflows.
News categories: Dalet, Ooyala, David Lasry, Jonathan Huberman, Content Distribution, Digital TV, MnA, Worldwide
Manatt and Vorhaus report on the state of content consumption
Jul 11, 2019 – Manatt, Phelps & Phillips and Vorhaus Advisors have released their inaugural Digital Strategy Study. Based on a comprehensive survey, the report identifies trends that illustrate how consumers are interacting with technology to consume digital content.
News categories: Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, Ned Sherman, Mike Vorhaus, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Prices for mid- and large-sized LCD panels keep falling in 3Q
Jul 11, 2019 – According to WitsView, prices for mid- and large-sized LCD panels are unlikely to stop falling in 3Q19, mainly due to the trade war that raged on in 2Q. Some LCD brands have already stocked up beforehand and there are raised inventory levels of completed devices in North America.
News categories: TrendForce, Anita Wang, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Tremor Video combines capabilities with YuMe by RhythmOne
Jul 10, 2019 – Tremor Video has announced that it has combined its capabilities with YuMe by RhythmOne. The new integrated company provides advertisers with even more impactful brand storytelling on one of today’s most popular digital platforms.
News categories: Tremor Video, Anthony Flaccavento, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, OTT, USA, Worldwide
Third of Netflix subscribers might switch to a cheaper, ad-supported tier
Jul 9, 2019 – There has been speculation that Netflix will introduce an ad-based tier. According to TDG, a third of Netflix users would consider changing to such a less-expensive option, with more than half of those moderately likely to or definitely would switch.
News categories: The Diffusion Group, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Google leads European Smart Home market in 1Q19
Jul 1, 2019 – In the first quarter of this year, the smart home market in Europe grew 23.9%, reaching 21.3 million units shipped to the region, according to IDC. Video entertainment devices shipped 12.7 million units in 1Q19, increasing 11.2% annually.
News categories: IDC, Antonio Arantes, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV
Potential U.S. broadband cord-cutters watch over six hours of mobile video per week
Jul 1, 2019 – According to Parks Associates, U.S. broadband households highly likely to cut the cord in the next 12 months watch more than six hours of video content on their mobile phone a week, compared to 2.5 hours among all U.S. broadband households.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Broadband, Market Research, Mobile, USA
- ITV and BBC sign agreement to launch BritBox
- Inca ABR transcoder approved for MOBITV CONNECT deployments
- UK CE market forecast to grow 4% in 2019
- Liberty Global Vodafone deal approved by European Commission
- ATEME and Eurovision Services run BISS-CA watermarking trial
- Netflix US streaming subscribers down 126k in 2Q 2019
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum releases sports OTT report
- One million downloads for Sinclair's STIRR app
- Cifra and Flussonic offer integrated IPTV/OTT solution
- Vodafone Portugal enhances the TV user experience
- Mirada to empower pay TV operators with Netflix integration
- DNA sells pay-DTT business to Digita
- Socionext releases 8K-capable live video encoding unit
- Speedcast, In Aria! and Telespazio announce joint service offering
- Operator 5G boosted by strong projections for 5G PCs and tablets
- Block Communications to use Comscore local TV ratings and Advanced Audiences
- 27% of US broadband households engage in some form of piracy or account sharing
- Nielsen's TV ratings platform moves to AWS
- NEC demonstrates live 8K video transmission over 5G in France
- U.S. consumer technology sales to exceed $400bn in 2019