Digital TV News: Disney
Disney and Comcast agree on Hulu's future governance and ownership
May 14, 2019 – Disney (NYSE: DIS) and Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA) have announced that Disney will assume full operational control of Hulu, effective immediately, in return for Disney and Comcast entering into a 'put/call' agreement regarding NBCUniversal’s 33% ownership interest in Hulu.
News categories: Comcast, Disney, Digital TV, MnA, OTT, USA
Eastern Europe to add 16 million SVOD subscriptions
May 1, 2019 – Eastern Europe will have 26.19 million SVOD subscriptions by 2024, up from the 10.02 million recorded at end-2018, according to Digital TV Research. Russia will supply 8.77 million to the 2024 total, with Poland bringing in another 6.32 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
Daily reach for online video and traditional TV now on par in Sweden
Apr 24, 2019 – The soon to be released Q1 analysis of the Video Market in Sweden, from Mediavision, reveals that online and traditional viewing now is on par in terms of daily reach. Online viewing has grown rapidly in recent years while broadcast is declining.
News categories: Mediavision, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Sweden
Global SVoD revenues to grow 25% in 2019 to $36bn
Apr 18, 2019 – SVoD continues to resonate with consumers across the globe. A report from Futuresource Consulting reveals that SVoD already reaches more than 60% of households in North America, 26% in Western Europe, 21% in Asia-Pacific and 19% in LATAM.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, David Sidebottom, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
US SVOD subscriptions to reach 270 million
Apr 17, 2019 – Digital TV Research expects the number of SVOD subscriptions in North America to climb by 110 million from 160 million in 2018 to 270 million in 2024, with 77.8% of TV households (94 million) subscribing to at least one SVOD platform by then.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Disney+ to rocket to 75 million subscribers
Apr 12, 2019 – Disney has outlined its plans for its Disney+ SVOD platform. The company expects to reach 60-90 million Disney+ subscribers by 2024, with the US contributing a third. Digital TV Research forecasts 75 million subscribers by 2024 – right in the middle of Disney’s estimates.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Digital TV, France, Germany, Mexico, OTT, Subscribers, UK, USA
Disney+ set to launch in U.S. on November 12
Apr 11, 2019 – The Walt Disney Company has presented an extensive overview of its comprehensive direct-to-consumer strategy, including presentations on Hulu, Hotstar, ESPN+, and the upcoming Disney+ service at its Investor Day, which took place on the Company’s studio lot.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, Robert A. Iger, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
TDG: Disney+ likely to be well received
Mar 13, 2019 – New research from The Diffusion Group (TDG) finds that Disney’s upcoming direct-to-consumer (DTC) subscription service, Disney+, will likely to see solid interest — assuming it comes to market at the right price.
News categories: The Diffusion Group, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
U.S. media companies and VIZIO form addressable advertising consortium
Mar 12, 2019 – U.S. media and technology companies, in collaboration with smart TV company VIZIO, have announced the formation of a consortium dedicated to the development and deployment of a new, open standard for addressable advertising on connected TVs.
News categories: VIZIO, Project OAR, William Wang, Mike Dean, Jesse Redniss, Dave Clark, Jodie McAfee, Advertising, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
- Wirecard provides international payment services for BluTV
- SUPER RTL selects 3SS for Kividoo Kids service relaunch
- Sony and Microsoft to collaborate on cloud for D2C entertainment and AI
- Insys Video automates celebrity identification and inappropriate content detection
- HbbTV Association adds seven new members
- Beximco launches AKASH DTH in Bangladesh
- b<>com and Viaccess-Orca partner to detect video piracy
- IDC expects worldwide semiconductor revenue to drop 7.2% in 2019
- Pay TV subscribers in Romania up 3% in 2018
- IABM report shows squeezed margins but continuing optimism
- Rostelecom pay TV subscribers up 3% YoY in 1Q 2019
- WMYD to host Detroit’s first Next-Gen TV station
- 3SS and Media Distillery team up for ultra-personalized AI-powered TV
- Redbox selects You.i TV to develop React Native app on Roku
- MainStreaming secures $6 million funding
- Survey reveals increasing use of multiple TV sources by viewers in Europe
- SK Telecom to offer world's first live TV sports broadcast over 5G
- Four media measurement bodies form global alliance
- Sony and Chicken Soup for the Soul launch Crackle Plus
- Philo brings streaming TV to WOW! broadband customers