Digital TV News: European Audiovisual Observatory
Pay-TV revenue in Russia up by 14.2% in 2018 year-on-year
Oct 31, 2019 – The European Audiovisual Observatory has released a report written by J’son and Partners Consulting on pay-TV and cord cutting in Russia. At the end of 2018, 43.2 million viewers were subscribed to Pay TV services in Russia, 3.1% more than in 2017.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, J’son and Partners, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Russia, Satellite, Subscribers
Europe is not cord-cutting right across the board
Jun 13, 2019 – The European Audiovisual Observatory has published a report on pay audiovisual services in Europe, covering the state of play for the two main segments: linear pay TV and SVOD. The report also analyses the main factors likely to influence their development.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Laura Ene, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite
Pay TV and SVOD in Europe on the up, TV viewing and Blu-ray slump
Nov 22, 2018 – The European Audiovisual Observatory has published its Yearbook 2018/2019 on line service. The database provides comparative European data on film, television, on-demand and physical video in 41 countries.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT
SVOD makes up 60% of the growth in Europe's pay audiovisual revenues
May 2, 2018 – The European Audiovisual Observatory’s Key Trends 2017/18 publication gives a practical and handy overview of the film, VOD and television sectors in Europe, covering 41 countries. The Observatory is proud to make this publication free of charge ahead of the Cannes Film Festival.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Gilles Fontaine, Digital TV, EU, Europe, Market Research
SVOD revenue in Europe grew by 128% annually between 2011 and 2016
Mar 8, 2018 – According to a report from the European Audiovisual Observatory, subscription VOD service revenue in Europe grew by 128% annually between 2011 and 2016 to represent 66% of total pay on-demand service revenue in 2016.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Gilles Fontaine, Christian Grece, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
Film and series channels make up 61% of pay on demand services in Europe
Nov 8, 2016 – Films and TV fiction are clearly the main driver for on-demand services. Pay on demand services specialized in film and TV fiction account for two-thirds of all pay-on demand services in Europe, compared with only 14% of TV channels.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research
Media ownership: towards pan-European groups?
Jul 4, 2016 – The European Audiovisual Observatory has published a report on pan-European media groups. The report outlines some of the key players, their geographical footprint, their position in a range of markets, and their most recent strategies regarding expansion, acquisition and vertical integration.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Digital TV, EU, Europe, Market Research
Number of TV channels in Europe still growing
Apr 5, 2016 – The total number of TV channels established in the EU grew by 49% from 3615 TV channels in 2009 to 5370 in 2015, according to data from the European Audiovisual Observatory's TV and VOD database.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Digital TV, EU, Market Research
Russia had over 2,300 TV channels at the end of 2015
Mar 21, 2016 – According to the European Audiovisual Observatory, pay-TV is the cornerstone of the Russian TV market: over 2/3 of Russian TV households subscribed to pay-TV in 2014 with digital segment and IPTV as the main future drivers.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory,, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Russia, Satellite, Subscribers
- Rakuten Viki selects BuyDRM's KeyOS MultiKey Service
- Dish TV India adds 42,000 subscribers in 3Q 2019
- Wurl powers the delivery of Hollywire to Samsung TV Plus
- U.S. traditional video subscribers down nearly 1.9 million in 3Q 2019
- Swisscom Box integrates voice assistant for TV and smart home control
- INNOPIA, Amlogic and Verimatrix offer Netflix-integrated Hailstorm Hybrid platform
- EU cable revenue hits all-time high of €24 billion in 2018
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost 1.74 million subscribers in 3Q 2019
- Disney+ passes 10 million sign-ups since launching
- Orange launches Djingo voice assistant
- Netflix and Nickelodeon form multi-year output deal
- Fincons to present Smart Digital Platform compatible with both HbbTV and ATSC 3.0
- Telefónica announces Movistar Living Apps for its STBs
- Sunrise terminates plan to buy UPC Switzerland
- Astro Malaysia releases Astro Ultra Box
- DVB approves DVB-I specification
- Partner Communications selects Broadpeak for server-side ad insertion
- Irdeto and Amlogic launch Netflix-integrated Hailstorm Hybrid STB platform
- INNOPIA becomes Netflix Hailstorm Hybrid partner with Synaptics and NAGRA
- Synaptics VideoSmart SoC approved for Widevine CAS on Android TV