Digital TV News: Freeview UK
Channelbox OTT channel aggregator launches on Freeview UK
Sep 24, 2019 – Channelbox has announced its launch on Freeview in the UK. Channelbox is a streaming TV service that bundles a curated selection of free-to-air TV channels of various genres and languages, delivering them to the Freeview platform OTT.
News categories: Channelbox, Freeview, Digital TV, HbbTV, OTT, UK
Freeview UK mobile app launches on Android
Jul 29, 2019 – Freeview's mobile app is now available to download from the Google Play Store, giving UK Android users the freedom to watch their TV on-the-go. As with all Freeview products the app is free to use, with no download fee and no subscription.
News categories: Freeview UK, Owen Jenkinson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, UK
Manhattan launches T3 Freeview Play 4K Smart Box
Feb 11, 2019 – UK-based set-top box specialist Manhattan has announced the launch of their first Freeview Play set-top box, the T3 Freeview Play 4K Smart Box. Building on the Freeview Play offering, the T3 also includes YouTube and YouTube kids.
News categories: Manhattan, Freeview UK, Alex Arbab-Zadeh, James Jackson, Digital TV, HbbTV, OTT, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview UK launches mobile app for iOS
Jan 22, 2019 – Freeview UK has launched its mobile app for iOS devices. In just three taps, users can stream live shows from the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 and on demand content from BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, My5, and UKTV Play whenever and wherever, all free.
News categories: Freeview UK, Owen Jenkinson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Terrestrial, TV Everywhere, UK
Freeview UK mobile app launching in January 2019
Nov 28, 2018 – Freeview UK has announced 22nd January 2019 as the launch date of its new iOS mobile app. The app provides viewers with a one-stop-shop for the country’s most watched TV shows. An Android version will launch in early 2019.
News categories: Freeview UK, Jonathan Thompson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, UK
Freeview UK adds on-demand content to its linear TV guide
Apr 26, 2018 – Freeview has launched its on-demand content showcase on Channel 100 for Freeview Play viewers. This is the first time the UK’s largest TV platform has integrated on-demand content into the linear TV guide.
News categories: Freeview UK, Guy North, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK, UX
First one million Freeview Play TVs and STBs sold
Mar 1, 2017 – Freeview has announced that sales of Freeview Play TVs and set-top boxes have surpassed one million. Launched in late 2015, Freeview Play brings UK consumers a combination of live, catch-up and on demand content all in one place for no monthly cost.
News categories: Freeview UK, Guy North, Digital TV
Panasonic TVs first with Freeview Play's 2017 specification
Feb 15, 2017 – Freeview and Panasonic have unveiled the next generation of Freeview Play devices. The new range of Panasonic TVs will feature the first implementation of Freeview Play’s 2017 specification.
News categories: Freeview UK, Panasonic, Guy North, Andrew Denham, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, UK, UX
Freeview UK embarks on an all HD future
Dec 22, 2016 – High definition TV will become the norm in the UK from 1st January 2017 as the Freeview logo is withdrawn from new SD TVs and set-top boxes. Freeview is the UK’s most widely used TV service, currently watched in 19m homes.
News categories: Freeview, DTG, Guy North, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
- Swisscom IPTV media streaming box powered by Synaptics
- Mirada interim results for the six months to 30 September 2019
- Kantar and VTION roll out OTT Audience Measurement for India
- iQIYI's watermarking system passes ChinaDRM Lab evaluation test
- Rakuten Viki selects BuyDRM's KeyOS MultiKey Service
- Dish TV India adds 42,000 subscribers in 3Q 2019
- Wurl powers the delivery of Hollywire to Samsung TV Plus
- U.S. traditional video subscribers down nearly 1.9 million in 3Q 2019
- Swisscom Box integrates voice assistant for TV and smart home control
- INNOPIA, Amlogic and Verimatrix offer Netflix-integrated Hailstorm Hybrid platform
- EU cable revenue hits all-time high of €24 billion in 2018
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost 1.74 million subscribers in 3Q 2019
- Disney+ passes 10 million sign-ups since launching
- Orange launches Djingo voice assistant
- Netflix and Nickelodeon form multi-year output deal
- Fincons to present Smart Digital Platform compatible with both HbbTV and ATSC 3.0
- Telefónica announces Movistar Living Apps for its STBs
- Sunrise terminates plan to buy UPC Switzerland
- Astro Malaysia releases Astro Ultra Box
- DVB approves DVB-I specification