Digital TV News: Freeview UK
Freeview and Vestel sign new 5-year partnership
Nov 10, 2020 – Freeview UK has renewed its contract with Vestel for a further five years. The deal means that the Freeview Play service will be not just present, but have prominence on all new Vestel manufactured TV sets.
News categories: Freeview, Vestel, Simon Hunt, Barış Altınkaya, Digital TV, HbbTV, Licensing, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview Play ends the year with nearly 7 million users
Dec 23, 2019 – Freeview Play is Britain’s fastest growing TV platform with almost 7m users and over 9m devices capable of receiving the service in British homes. Freeview offers 85 live TV channels and more than 20,000 hours of free, on-demand content.
News categories: Freeview UK, Owen Jenkinson, Digital TV, Market Research, Terrestrial, UK
Channelbox OTT channel aggregator launches on Freeview UK
Sep 24, 2019 – Channelbox has announced its launch on Freeview in the UK. Channelbox is a streaming TV service that bundles a curated selection of free-to-air TV channels of various genres and languages, delivering them to the Freeview platform OTT.
News categories: Channelbox, Freeview, Digital TV, HbbTV, OTT, UK
Freeview UK mobile app launches on Android
Jul 29, 2019 – Freeview's mobile app is now available to download from the Google Play Store, giving UK Android users the freedom to watch their TV on-the-go. As with all Freeview products the app is free to use, with no download fee and no subscription.
News categories: Freeview UK, Owen Jenkinson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, UK
Manhattan launches T3 Freeview Play 4K Smart Box
Feb 11, 2019 – UK-based set-top box specialist Manhattan has announced the launch of their first Freeview Play set-top box, the T3 Freeview Play 4K Smart Box. Building on the Freeview Play offering, the T3 also includes YouTube and YouTube kids.
News categories: Manhattan, Freeview UK, Alex Arbab-Zadeh, James Jackson, Digital TV, HbbTV, OTT, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview UK launches mobile app for iOS
Jan 22, 2019 – Freeview UK has launched its mobile app for iOS devices. In just three taps, users can stream live shows from the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 and on demand content from BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, My5, and UKTV Play whenever and wherever, all free.
News categories: Freeview UK, Owen Jenkinson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Terrestrial, TV Everywhere, UK
Freeview UK mobile app launching in January 2019
Nov 28, 2018 – Freeview UK has announced 22nd January 2019 as the launch date of its new iOS mobile app. The app provides viewers with a one-stop-shop for the country’s most watched TV shows. An Android version will launch in early 2019.
News categories: Freeview UK, Jonathan Thompson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, UK
Freeview UK adds on-demand content to its linear TV guide
Apr 26, 2018 – Freeview has launched its on-demand content showcase on Channel 100 for Freeview Play viewers. This is the first time the UK’s largest TV platform has integrated on-demand content into the linear TV guide.
News categories: Freeview UK, Guy North, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK, UX
First one million Freeview Play TVs and STBs sold
Mar 1, 2017 – Freeview has announced that sales of Freeview Play TVs and set-top boxes have surpassed one million. Launched in late 2015, Freeview Play brings UK consumers a combination of live, catch-up and on demand content all in one place for no monthly cost.
News categories: Freeview UK, Guy North, Digital TV
- Highest ever Samsung Smart TV sales in 3Q 2020
- Orange France delivers targeted ads with SoftAtHome video player
- Velocix unveils cloud-native video personalisation service
- DIRECTV GO now available in Brazil
- VR consumer content revenue to exceed $7 billion in 2025
- XroadMedia to power hyper-personalization at ZEE5
- Ericsson predicts 40% of mobile subscriptions in 2026 will be 5G
- Pay TV revenue in New Zealand to follow -3.1% CAGR
- iQIYI International available for ZEASN-based smart devices
- Growing demand for smart displays driving smart speaker sales
- Forthnet becomes part of United Group
- Anevia powers Skymedia's SkyGo service in Mongolia
- UK marketers expect to spend more on Advanced TV ads in the next 12 months
- NetRange moves browser to the Cloud for low-cost Smart TVs
- Over 13 billion Smart Home devices in use by 2025
- MultiChoice picks Metrological to deliver OTT services on DStv
- Oregan Networks builds on Amlogic's Android TV reference platform
- Bitmovin and OKAST team up to deliver live and VOD streaming
- 61% of US broadband households subscribe to two or more OTT services
- 14% of Australians plan to cancel pay TV as a result of the pandemic