Digital TV News: GOtv
Africa to add 16 million pay TV subscribers between 2018 and 2024
Jan 7, 2019 – Sub-Saharan Africa is forecast to add more than 16 million pay TV subscribers between 2018 and 2024 to bring its total to 45.63 million, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Subscribers
Pay TV subscribers in Africa to grow 74% between 2017 and 2023
Jan 8, 2018 – The number of pay TV subscribers in Sub-Saharan Africa will increase by 74% between 2017 and 2023 to reach 40.89 million. However, Digital TV Research estimates that subscriber growth will outstrip revenue progress.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, DRC, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Subscribers, Tanzania, Uganda
Sub-Saharan Africa pay TV thrives despite falling prices
Jan 16, 2017 – Digital TV Research estimates that three groups will continue to account for 90% of Sub-Saharan Africa’s pay TV subscribers. At end-2016, Multichoice had 11.61 million subscribers, well ahead of StarTimes with 4.18 million and Vivendi with 2.32 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
CIBN selects Irdeto as security partner for China DRM
Nov 24, 2016 – Irdeto has announced that China International Broadcasting Network (CIBN), a subsidiary of China Radio International, is its first Chinese customer for Irdeto Rights with China DRM Support.
News categories: Irdeto, CIBN, Marco Xie, Fu Qiang, China, Content Protection, Digital TV, DRM, OTT
Africa Pay TV subscribers to reach 30 million in 2021
Aug 9, 2016 – Pay TV subscribers in Africa will reach 30 million by 2021, up from 16 million in 2015, according to Dataxis. Digital satellite pay TV subscribers are expected to be 20 million in 2021 compared to 8 million for DTT.
News categories: Dataxis, Priscilla Tirvengadum, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Nine operators dominate MEA pay TV
Aug 1, 2016 – According to Digital TV Research, pay TV subscriptions in the Middle East & Africa region will increase by 67% between 2015 and 2021 – from 32.37 million to 54.09 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
M-Net unveils GoTV DTT service for South Africa
Feb 3, 2016 – M-Net has unveiled its digital terrestrial television service for South Africa, called GOtv. GOtv will use digital network towers throughout South Africa and customers will need a decoder to access the signal.
News categories: M-Net, GOtv, Yolisa Phahle, Tsabiso Letsoela, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
CANAL+ partners with ENENSYS for sub-Saharan Africa DTT rollout
Sep 23, 2015 – ENENSYS has announced that it has been selected by CANAL+ Overseas as a technology partner for the rollout of the broadcaster’s DTT platform in Africa. TNT Africa is designed to work alongside its existing DTH service Les Bouquets Canal+.
News categories: ENENSYS, CANAL+ Overseas, Emmanuel Jacques, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Terrestrial
Pan-African pay TV platforms set to boom
Sep 16, 2015 – Pan-African pay TV platforms are set to boom, according to Digital TV Research. Pay DTT platform GOtv will gain 5.84 million subs between 2014 and 2020 to reach 7.50 million – more than quadruple its 2014 total.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, Middle-East, Poland, Russia, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial, Turkey
- Rakuten Viki selects BuyDRM's KeyOS MultiKey Service
- Dish TV India adds 42,000 subscribers in 3Q 2019
- Wurl powers the delivery of Hollywire to Samsung TV Plus
- U.S. traditional video subscribers down nearly 1.9 million in 3Q 2019
- Swisscom Box integrates voice assistant for TV and smart home control
- INNOPIA, Amlogic and Verimatrix offer Netflix-integrated Hailstorm Hybrid platform
- EU cable revenue hits all-time high of €24 billion in 2018
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost 1.74 million subscribers in 3Q 2019
- Disney+ passes 10 million sign-ups since launching
- Orange launches Djingo voice assistant
- Netflix and Nickelodeon form multi-year output deal
- Fincons to present Smart Digital Platform compatible with both HbbTV and ATSC 3.0
- Telefónica announces Movistar Living Apps for its STBs
- Sunrise terminates plan to buy UPC Switzerland
- Astro Malaysia releases Astro Ultra Box
- DVB approves DVB-I specification
- Partner Communications selects Broadpeak for server-side ad insertion
- Irdeto and Amlogic launch Netflix-integrated Hailstorm Hybrid STB platform
- INNOPIA becomes Netflix Hailstorm Hybrid partner with Synaptics and NAGRA
- Synaptics VideoSmart SoC approved for Widevine CAS on Android TV