Digital TV News: General Satellite
EU opens competition investigation into Telia's acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting
May 10, 2019 – The European Commission has opened an investigation to assess the proposed acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting by Telia Company. The Commission is concerned that the merged entity may shut out competitors from the audio-visual sector in Finland and Sweden.
News categories: European Commission, Telia Company, Bonnier Broadcasting, Digital TV, Finland, MnA, Regulation, Sweden
NovelSat unveils satellite video delivery solution for 4G/5G networks
Apr 30, 2019 – NovelSat has unveiled a satellite broadcast/multicast solution for the delivery of live TV and OTT video services. The satellite-to-mobile video solution =enables mobile service providers to roll out TV and video services on a large scale while optimizing network investment.
News categories: NovelSat, Gary Drutin, Lluc Palerm, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, Worldwide
UK leads Europe's TV market into cord-cutting era
Apr 25, 2019 – According to Strategy Analytics, declining pay TV subscriptions in the UK suggest that cord-cutting is now beginning to affect the European market. The UK saw a net decline in pay TV households of 424,000 in 2018, the largest decline of any European country.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research
Kaltura and 3SS offer joint personalized Cloud TV solution
Mar 20, 2019 – Kaltura and 3SS have announced the launch of a solution whose goal is to empower operators to rapidly launch attractive, targeted and personalized Cloud TV services. The joint solution brings together Kaltura’s Cloud TV Platform with 3SS’ 3READY front end.
News categories: Kaltura, 3SS, Dr. Shay David, Kai-Christian Borchers, Big Data, Content Distribution, Digital TV, UX, Worldwide
FreeWheel taps into screen-level Smart TV data from Inscape
Mar 19, 2019 – FreeWheel has announced an agreement with Inscape, the company with viewing data from more than 10 million VIZIO smart TVs in the U.S. FreeWheel is now able to use Inscape data for modeling representativeness for demographic and consumer audience segments used in the selling of national TV advertising campaigns.
News categories: FreeWheel, Inscape, Claudio Marcus, Jodie McAfee, Big Data, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
Brazil home video market on path to recovery
Feb 20, 2019 – Brazil’s video entertainment market faced a challenging 2018, with consumer spend down 6% to R$ 22.4 billion (US$ 5.5 billion), according to Futuresource Consulting. However, despite the decline, there are pockets of growth and a path to recovery ahead.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Tanzim Rahman, Brazil, Digital TV, Market Research
AT&T US down 658k; Vrio up 198k video subs in 4Q 2018
Jan 30, 2019 – AT&T (NYSE:T) has reported results for the fourth quarter of 2018. Total U.S. video subscribers declined by 658,000 in the quarter. For Vrio, subscriber net adds were 198,000 with gains in the South Region and Brazil.
News categories: AT&T, Digital TV, IPTV, Latin America, OTT, Results, Satellite, USA
TrueVisions extends CA partnership with Synamedia
Jan 15, 2019 – Synamedia has announced that it has extended its partnership with TrueVisions. As part of the new contract, Synamedia VideoGuard will protect TrueVisions’ live sports, news, entertainment and other premium content.
News categories: Synamedia, TrueVisions, Sue Couto, Dr. Jen, Android TV, Cable TV, Conditional Access, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Thailand
Hisense shows ULED-powered 2019 product lineup at CES2019
Jan 7, 2019 – Hisense has revealed its 2019 product lineup at CES, debuting Android TV and Roku TV sets that expand Hisense's portfolio. Hisense is the fastest growing TV brand of the top 6 brands in the U.S. according to NPD Group.
News categories: Hisense, David Gold, CES, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
- FCC opens up for ATSC 3.0 license applications
- Sky Deutschland adds multiroom box to Sky Q offering
- Openview STB activations growing at 35,000 per month
- 2019 LG AI ThinQ TVs add Amazon Alexa support
- Telcos to dominate Western European pay TV
- Roku introduces analytics and planning tools for OTT advertisers
- IHS Markit and Informa to exchange business units
- Evergent and Synamedia partner to power and monetize video experience
- TiVo integrates demographics, ad airings, and mobile devices into TV Viewership Data
- Fraunhofer IIS licenses MPEG-H audio patents to LG
- AminoTV deployed on multi-tenant platform at DELTA and Caiway
- China Smart Speaker surge puts Baidu, Alibaba, Xiaomi in reach of Amazon and Google
- SpotX and Jukin Media partner for connected TV monetization
- OTT monitoring and compliance market to expand at a CAGR of 15.8%
- Sony’s first 8K TVs go on sale in early June
- Wirecard provides international payment services for BluTV
- SUPER RTL selects 3SS for Kividoo Kids service relaunch
- Rakuten LIVE interactive streaming service launched
- Sony and Microsoft to collaborate on cloud for D2C entertainment and AI
- IoT now numbers 22 billion devices, but where is the revenue?