Digital TV News: General Satellite
U.S. pay TV households to decline 4.2% this year
Aug 6, 2019 – Cord-cutting in the US continues to accelerate, with the number of cord-cutting households jumping another 19.2% this year. According to eMarketer, the number of households without a traditional pay TV subscription is quickly approaching those that have one.
News categories: eMarketer, Eric Haggstrom, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Over 750,000 subscribers for MTS Satellite TV in Russia
Aug 1, 2019 – Russian telecommunications operator MTS (NYSE: MBT, MOEX: MTSS), has announced that the subscriber base of its MTS Satellite TV service has increased by one and a half times compared with the first half of 2018 to reach 752,000.
News categories: MTS, Alexei Ivanov, Digital TV, Russia, Satellite, Subscribers
WarnerMedia Asia Pacific chooses Synamedia content delivery solution
Jul 25, 2019 – WarnerMedia Asia Pacific has chosen Synamedia for its satellite content delivery system. Synamedia technologies will reduce bandwidth costs, deliver next-generation security, and prepare the company’s satellite system for future IP delivery innovations.
News categories: Synamedia, WarnerMedia, Julien Signes, Luis Esparza, Gustavo Fracassi, Asia, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite
Over 50 million RDK device deployments
Jun 5, 2019 – At ANGA COM 2019, RDK Management shared details about the adoption of RDK open source software used to power customer-premises equipment from video and broadband services providers worldwide. The number of RDK devices deployed is now over 50 million.
News categories: RDK Management, Steve Heeb, ANGA COM, Digital TV, Gateway, Market Research, Middleware, Worldwide
Ivory Coast’s SIDT partners with SES for digital switchover
May 28, 2019 – Ivory Coast’s public broadcasting company, the Société Ivoirienne de Télédiffusion (SIDT), has selected SES as its digital partner in a major move to meet the country’s 2020 deadline for switching over from analogue to digital broadcasting.
News categories: SES S.A, SIDT, Clint Brown, Yeo Adama, Content Distribution, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, Satellite
EU opens competition investigation into Telia's acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting
May 10, 2019 – The European Commission has opened an investigation to assess the proposed acquisition of Bonnier Broadcasting by Telia Company. The Commission is concerned that the merged entity may shut out competitors from the audio-visual sector in Finland and Sweden.
News categories: European Commission, Telia Company, Bonnier Broadcasting, Digital TV, Finland, MnA, Regulation, Sweden
NovelSat unveils satellite video delivery solution for 4G/5G networks
Apr 30, 2019 – NovelSat has unveiled a satellite broadcast/multicast solution for the delivery of live TV and OTT video services. The satellite-to-mobile video solution =enables mobile service providers to roll out TV and video services on a large scale while optimizing network investment.
News categories: NovelSat, Gary Drutin, Lluc Palerm, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, Worldwide
UK leads Europe's TV market into cord-cutting era
Apr 25, 2019 – According to Strategy Analytics, declining pay TV subscriptions in the UK suggest that cord-cutting is now beginning to affect the European market. The UK saw a net decline in pay TV households of 424,000 in 2018, the largest decline of any European country.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research
Kaltura and 3SS offer joint personalized Cloud TV solution
Mar 20, 2019 – Kaltura and 3SS have announced the launch of a solution whose goal is to empower operators to rapidly launch attractive, targeted and personalized Cloud TV services. The joint solution brings together Kaltura’s Cloud TV Platform with 3SS’ 3READY front end.
News categories: Kaltura, 3SS, Dr. Shay David, Kai-Christian Borchers, Big Data, Content Distribution, Digital TV, UX, Worldwide
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum reveals LatAm key findings
- Beeline deploys Kaltura TV Platform in Kazakhstan
- Spearad launches monetization technology for addressable TV and audio
- SmartLabs migrates legacy boxes for StarNet TV in Moldova
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient