Digital TV News: Guy North
DTG defines latest UK TV industry requirements with D-Book 11
Oct 31, 2018 – The DTG has published the latest version of the D-Book, its technical standard for TV and DTT in the UK. The D-Book is updated annually with the collaboration of industry, underpinning Freeview, YouView, Freesat, EE TV, BT TV and TalkTalk TV.
News categories: DTG, Freeview, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Guy North, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview UK adds on-demand content to its linear TV guide
Apr 26, 2018 – Freeview has launched its on-demand content showcase on Channel 100 for Freeview Play viewers. This is the first time the UK’s largest TV platform has integrated on-demand content into the linear TV guide.
News categories: Freeview UK, Guy North, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK, UX
Freeview Play launches on Sony BRAVIA televisions
Dec 4, 2017 – Freeview and Sony have announced the roll out of Freeview Play on selected Sony BRAVIA TV models in the UK. The subscription free catch-up and on-demand platform provides access to BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5 and UKTV Play.
News categories: Freeview, Sony, Guy North, John Anderson, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, UK
DTG releases D-Book 10 DTT specification for the UK
Nov 3, 2017 – The DTG’s D-Book 10 is the industry determined, next generation, universally deployed specification which supports future interactive services and enables the continuing transition towards HbbTV.
News categories: DTG, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Peter Seller, Dr. Klaus Illgner, Laurie Patten, Guy North, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
More than half of Smart HD TVs sold in the UK have Freeview Play
Jul 31, 2017 – Freeview has announced that Freeview Play TVs account for more than half of all Smart HD TV sales in the UK. In June, 55% of Smart HD TVs sold were Freeview Play enabled, a rise of 20 percentage points since January 2017.
News categories: Freeview, Guy North, Dan Hastings, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, Smart TV, UK
Freeview Play updates UX with launch of Freeview Explore
Jun 21, 2017 – Freeview has announced the launch of Freeview Explore. Freeview Explore will demo core functionality, deliver the latest news on the Freeview channel line-up and provide a showcase of the day’s best on-demand programmes from the UK’s leading broadcasters.
News categories: Freeview, Guy North, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK, UX
First one million Freeview Play TVs and STBs sold
Mar 1, 2017 – Freeview has announced that sales of Freeview Play TVs and set-top boxes have surpassed one million. Launched in late 2015, Freeview Play brings UK consumers a combination of live, catch-up and on demand content all in one place for no monthly cost.
News categories: Freeview UK, Guy North, Digital TV
Panasonic TVs first with Freeview Play's 2017 specification
Feb 15, 2017 – Freeview and Panasonic have unveiled the next generation of Freeview Play devices. The new range of Panasonic TVs will feature the first implementation of Freeview Play’s 2017 specification.
News categories: Freeview UK, Panasonic, Guy North, Andrew Denham, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, UK, UX
Freeview UK embarks on an all HD future
Dec 22, 2016 – High definition TV will become the norm in the UK from 1st January 2017 as the Freeview logo is withdrawn from new SD TVs and set-top boxes. Freeview is the UK’s most widely used TV service, currently watched in 19m homes.
News categories: Freeview, DTG, Guy North, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
- Androidmov Technology unveils IPTV UX software
- Updated specifications for digital distribution of film and TV released
- 2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
- EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
- 28% of U.S. smart speaker owners use it to control a smart home device
- Consumer IoT to be worth $6.6bn for telcos
- Viaccess-Orca to power Guigo TV live OTT service in Brazil
- Turkcell chooses Metrological to provide TV+ app store
- Wyplay source code powers Telefónica IPTV in Argentina
- EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
- Verizon begins Fios TV One rollout
- Vubiquity and Discover Digital launch VOD with TelOne Zimbabwe
- Telefonica Spain upgrades Movistar+ UI to add Netflix
- Go See TV and Flowplayer launch Shoppable Content Player
- Nordija wins IPTV contract from US fibre operator Ting
- Deutsche Telekom and MediaKind first to stream 6K tiled 360° live sport
- Shanghai sees world's first 4K UHD live broadcast via 5G network slicing
- Freeview NZ PVR combines Freeview features with streaming apps
- Mirada wins contract with Skytel in Mongolia
- 7Park Data tracks path from SVOD viewing to buying on Amazon.com