Digital TV News: Guy North
DTG defines latest UK TV industry requirements with D-Book 11
Oct 31, 2018 – The DTG has published the latest version of the D-Book, its technical standard for TV and DTT in the UK. The D-Book is updated annually with the collaboration of industry, underpinning Freeview, YouView, Freesat, EE TV, BT TV and TalkTalk TV.
News categories: DTG, Freeview, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Guy North, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview UK adds on-demand content to its linear TV guide
Apr 26, 2018 – Freeview has launched its on-demand content showcase on Channel 100 for Freeview Play viewers. This is the first time the UK’s largest TV platform has integrated on-demand content into the linear TV guide.
News categories: Freeview UK, Guy North, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK, UX
Freeview Play launches on Sony BRAVIA televisions
Dec 4, 2017 – Freeview and Sony have announced the roll out of Freeview Play on selected Sony BRAVIA TV models in the UK. The subscription free catch-up and on-demand platform provides access to BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5 and UKTV Play.
News categories: Freeview, Sony, Guy North, John Anderson, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, UK
DTG releases D-Book 10 DTT specification for the UK
Nov 3, 2017 – The DTG’s D-Book 10 is the industry determined, next generation, universally deployed specification which supports future interactive services and enables the continuing transition towards HbbTV.
News categories: DTG, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Peter Seller, Dr. Klaus Illgner, Laurie Patten, Guy North, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
More than half of Smart HD TVs sold in the UK have Freeview Play
Jul 31, 2017 – Freeview has announced that Freeview Play TVs account for more than half of all Smart HD TV sales in the UK. In June, 55% of Smart HD TVs sold were Freeview Play enabled, a rise of 20 percentage points since January 2017.
News categories: Freeview, Guy North, Dan Hastings, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, Smart TV, UK
Freeview Play updates UX with launch of Freeview Explore
Jun 21, 2017 – Freeview has announced the launch of Freeview Explore. Freeview Explore will demo core functionality, deliver the latest news on the Freeview channel line-up and provide a showcase of the day’s best on-demand programmes from the UK’s leading broadcasters.
News categories: Freeview, Guy North, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK, UX
First one million Freeview Play TVs and STBs sold
Mar 1, 2017 – Freeview has announced that sales of Freeview Play TVs and set-top boxes have surpassed one million. Launched in late 2015, Freeview Play brings UK consumers a combination of live, catch-up and on demand content all in one place for no monthly cost.
News categories: Freeview UK, Guy North, Digital TV
Panasonic TVs first with Freeview Play's 2017 specification
Feb 15, 2017 – Freeview and Panasonic have unveiled the next generation of Freeview Play devices. The new range of Panasonic TVs will feature the first implementation of Freeview Play’s 2017 specification.
News categories: Freeview UK, Panasonic, Guy North, Andrew Denham, Digital TV, Middleware, Smart TV, UK, UX
Freeview UK embarks on an all HD future
Dec 22, 2016 – High definition TV will become the norm in the UK from 1st January 2017 as the Freeview logo is withdrawn from new SD TVs and set-top boxes. Freeview is the UK’s most widely used TV service, currently watched in 19m homes.
News categories: Freeview, DTG, Guy North, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
- Rakuten Viki selects BuyDRM's KeyOS MultiKey Service
- Dish TV India adds 42,000 subscribers in 3Q 2019
- Wurl powers the delivery of Hollywire to Samsung TV Plus
- U.S. traditional video subscribers down nearly 1.9 million in 3Q 2019
- Swisscom Box integrates voice assistant for TV and smart home control
- INNOPIA, Amlogic and Verimatrix offer Netflix-integrated Hailstorm Hybrid platform
- EU cable revenue hits all-time high of €24 billion in 2018
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost 1.74 million subscribers in 3Q 2019
- Disney+ passes 10 million sign-ups since launching
- Orange launches Djingo voice assistant
- Netflix and Nickelodeon form multi-year output deal
- Fincons to present Smart Digital Platform compatible with both HbbTV and ATSC 3.0
- Telefónica announces Movistar Living Apps for its STBs
- Sunrise terminates plan to buy UPC Switzerland
- Astro Malaysia releases Astro Ultra Box
- DVB approves DVB-I specification
- Partner Communications selects Broadpeak for server-side ad insertion
- Irdeto and Amlogic launch Netflix-integrated Hailstorm Hybrid STB platform
- INNOPIA becomes Netflix Hailstorm Hybrid partner with Synaptics and NAGRA
- Synaptics VideoSmart SoC approved for Widevine CAS on Android TV