Digital TV News: HBO Max
Churn rate for U.S. OTT services at 41% in Q1 2020
Jun 29, 2020 – Parks Associates reports the churn rate for U.S. OTT services increased from 35% in Q1 2019 to 41% in Q1 2020. During the COVID-19 crisis, more than two in five US broadband households trialed an OTT service.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
TV streaming accounts will surpass 1 billion globally in 2020
Jun 11, 2020 – The number of online TV streaming accounts will reach 1.1 billion in 2020, surpassing traditional pay TV accounts for the first time, marking a watershed moment in the history of TV consumption, according to GlobalData.
News categories: GlobalData, Danyaal Rashid, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
Comcast to bring HBO Max to Xfinity customers
May 27, 2020 – Comcast has announced that existing Xfinity HBO customers will have access to HBO Max at no additional cost via the HBO Max app and website while the companies work to quickly bring the app to the Xfinity X1 and Xfinity Flex platforms.
News categories: Comcast, WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Rebecca Heap, Rich Warren, Digital TV
HBO Max launched in the U.S.
May 27, 2020 – WarnerMedia’s streaming platform, HBO Max, has officially launched. The launch is the culmination of efforts to bring the best of WarnerMedia together to launch the new offering, following AT&T’s acquisition of Time Warner.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Bob Greenblatt, Digital TV, OTT, USA
WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
May 20, 2020 – WarnerMedia has announced that the latest companies to sign on to distribute HBO Max at launch include Altice USA, Cox Communications, Microsoft, National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC), Samsung, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Verizon.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Rich Warren, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Games Console, IPTV, OTT, USA
AT&T folds Xandr into WarnerMedia
Apr 30, 2020 – AT&T has announced that WarnerMedia and Xandr are combining to create a unified advertising proposition. Xandr will continue to offer advanced media and technology solutions, including addressable video.
News categories: WarnerMedia, Xandr, Gerhard Zeiler, Kirk McDonald, Advertising, Digital TV, USA
HBO Max to be available on Apple devices at launch
Apr 27, 2020 – WarnerMedia has announced that HBO Max will be available on Apple devices when it debuts on May 27, 2020. At launch, customers will be able to access HBO Max on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD.
News categories: WarnerMedia, Apple, Rich Warren, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smartphone, Tablet, USA
HBO Max to launch on May 27th
Apr 21, 2020 – WarnerMedia's streaming platform HBO Max will launch on May 27th. With 10,000 hours of curated premium content, HBO Max will bring together HBO, third-party programs and movies, and content from Warner Media's library.
News categories: HBO Max, WarnerMedia, Kevin Reilly, Sarah Aubrey, Robert Greenblatt, Digital TV, OTT, USA
HBO Max to be available to Charter customers at launch
Apr 15, 2020 – WarnerMedia and Charter Communications have announced a distribution agreement that will make HBO Max, WarnerMedia’s anticipated streaming platform, available to Charter customers when it launches next month.
News categories: WarnerMedia, Charter Communications, Rich Warren, Tom Montemagno, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
- MC-IF invites input on VVC interoperability
- SpotX finds 80% of CTV viewers watch ad-supported content
- SERAPHIC launches Freeview Play 2020 solution
- WIND Hellas launches ABR service with Broadpeak
- Roku selects Accedo as a Preferred Developer for Latin America
- Altice USA completes acquisition of Service Electric
- Sencore releases professional ATSC 3.0 receiver decoder
- IBC launches virtual event: IBC Showcase
- COVID-19 will accelerate pay-TV revenue decline in Australia
- Unruly expands brand protection with DoubleVerify
- Zixi integrated into Harmonic's cloud based live streaming platform
- Tata Sky adds ZEE5 to its Binge+ Android STB offer
- Flynet delivers OTT content with Viaccess-Orca DRM in El Salvador
- SonyLIV added to NetRange Smart TV App Store for India
- Phoenix Model Market adds second TV transmitter
- Interra Systems and BuyDRM integrate monitoring with DRM
- Safaricom launches Android TV streaming box
- Sky Q adds smart new features
- Movistar+ adds picture in picture and upgrades voice functionality
- Netgem acquires French fibre operator Comcable