Digital TV News: IPA
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost about 2,065,000 subscribers in 1Q 2020
May 14, 2020 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 2,065,000 net video subscribers in 1Q 2020, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 1,025,000 subscribers in 1Q 2019.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Global pay TV subscribers at 1.06 billion in 2025
May 14, 2020 – Digital TV Research forecasts 35 million additional pay TV subscribers between 2019 and 2025, taking the global total to 1.06 billion. The number of pay TV subscribers passed one billion in 2018.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Terrestrial, Worldwide
U.S. cable and telco broadband subscribers up 1,165,000 in 1Q 2020
May 13, 2020 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest cable and telephone providers in the U.S. acquired about 1,165,000 net additional broadband subscribers in 1Q 2020, compared to a gain of about 955,000 in 1Q 2019.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Broadband, COVID-19, Market Research, USA
Panasonic withdraws from IBC 2020
May 11, 2020 – Panasonic has withdrawn from IBC 2020. Instead, the organisation is focusing on supporting its partners and customers through its online initiatives, with the launch of its own Technology Experience Zone to help share expertise and information for the industry.
News categories: Panasonic, André Meterian, COVID-19, Digital TV, IBC2020, Netherlands, Worldwide
460 million subscribers for Disney+ and Netflix in 2025
May 11, 2020 – According to Digital TV Research, global SVOD subscriptions will increase by 519 million between 2019 and 2025 to 1,161 million – or up by 81%. The total will climb by 170 million in 2020 alone.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
COVID-19 will drive greater usage of TVOD services in 2020
May 7, 2020 – Parks Associates predicts that consumer usage of TVOD services will increase significantly in 2020. According to the firm, in Q1 2020, 14% of US broadband households had used a TVOD service over the past 30 days, a five-point increase from the previous year.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Integration of voice control into STBs key to market growth
May 5, 2020 – According to Technavio, the set-top box market is poised to grow by $4.19 billion during 2020-2024, progressing at a CAGR of over 3% during the period. The integration of voice control will offer immense growth opportunities.
News categories: Technavio, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Non-memory semiconductor revenue to decline 7.2% in 2020
May 4, 2020 – Worldwide semiconductor revenue declined 12.2% in 2019 to $418 billion. Instead of an anticipated bottom and gradual recovery in 2020, the emergence of COVID-19 will drive another contraction in the overall semiconductor market, according to IDC.
News categories: IDC, Mario Morales, Shane Rau, Michael Palma, COVID-19, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
CIMM launches best practices study on combining Smart TV and STB data
May 1, 2020 – CIMM has announced the launch of a study to develop best practices in building large scale, granular data sets to measure all forms of TV viewing by combining the anonymous viewing data from both Smart TVs and STBs.
News categories: CIMM, Pre-Meditated Media, Jane Clarke, Gerard Broussard, Howard Shimmel, Big Data, Content Identification, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
- Pay TV revenues to plunge to $150 billion
- Sisvel announces first VP9 and AV1 patent licensees
- Comcast to bring HBO Max to Xfinity customers
- HBO Max launched in the U.S.
- Nordic households spending €149pm on media and access services
- SES unveils results of Philippines TV market reception survey
- Over half of U.S. adults watching more TV since the pandemic
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Las Vegas
- Shifts in viewing behavior continue during COVID-19 pandemic
- SoftAtHome builds RDK-based video product for service providers
- Nordija integrates Yospace ad insertion technology
- iQIYI partners MediaTek for AV1-powered Ultra HD streaming
- Bitė to acquire Telecentras' IPTV business in Lithuania
- World's fastest internet speed from a single optical chip
- Disney+ attracts 2 million Australian viewers in 4 months
- Global TV shipments to fall 5.8% in 2020
- SpotX expands Measurement and Attribution Suite
- Nordic video markets riding high
- WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
- Tru Optik offers cross-device OTT measurement for free