Digital TV News: Iliad
Broadcom powers Free's Android TV 4K set-top box
Mar 11, 2015 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has announced that it is powering the first Ultra HD Android TV set-top box. Offered by Free, the Freebox STB delivers a suite of streaming, terrestrial, on-demand and recorded content at up to four times the resolution of current HD television.
News categories: Broadcom, Free, Rich Nelson, Sebastien Boutruche, Digital TV, France, IPTV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
France's Free launches first Android TV 4K STB and gateway
Mar 10, 2015 – Free, a subsidiary of France's Iliad Group, has announced the launch of its 'Freebox mini 4K' the world's first Ultra HD gateway/set-top box combination to run Android TV. Designed by Free's own Freebox R&D team, the gateway consists of two units - a Server and a Player.
News categories: Iliad, Digital TV, France, Gateway, Home Networking, IPTV, Middleware, Set Top Box
Iliad's Freebox v7 may be based on Android TV
Sep 24, 2014 – According to FRAndroid, the next Free set-top box, Freebox v7, could be based on Google's Android TV. ILIAD, the parent company of Free, has already indicated that the v7 box would be available in 2015.
News categories: Iliad, Digital TV, France, IPTV, Middleware, Set Top Box
Emerging markets driving growth in pay-TV market
Feb 18, 2014 – Infonetics Research has released excerpts from its 1st edition Pay TV Subscriber Database. The top 5 satellite providers by subscribers are DIRECTV US, DISH Network, DIRECTV Latin America, Tata Sky, and BSkyB.
News categories: Infonetics Research, Jeff Heynen, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Worldwide
IPTV and cable TV subscribers on opposite trajectories
Nov 7, 2013 – According to Infonetics Research's Pay TV Subscriber Database, from 4Q12 to 1Q13, IPTV subscribers grew over 6% worldwide, while cable video subs declined around 1%.
News categories: Infonetics Research, Jeff Heynen, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
World's 20 largest IPTV operators serve 83% of global IPTV households
Jun 6, 2013 – An SNL Kagan analysis of the world's 20 largest IPTV providers shows that a handful of operators dominate the global IPTV market with a geographic concentration in Western Europe and Asia-Pacific.
News categories: SNL Kagan, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Middleware, Subscribers
Cable TV Losing Subscribers to Satellite and IPTV
Nov 20, 2012 – Infonetics Research has released excerpts from its November 2012 Pay TV Services and Subscribers report, which forecasts and analyzes the telco Internet protocol television (IPTV), cable video, and satellite video services markets.
News categories: Infonetics, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite
Cable Still King of Pay-TV, but Satellite and IPTV Poised for Takeover
Jun 25, 2012 – Infonetics Research has released its latest Pay-TV Services and Subscribers report. The global pay-TV market, including cable, satellite, and IPTV video services, totaled $261 billion in 2011 and is forecast to grow to $371 billion by 2016.
News categories: Infonetics Research, Cable TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite
Satellite and IPTV Gaining Fast on Cable Video; Netflix, Amazon Threat Insignificant So Far
Nov 1, 2011 – Infonetics Research does not expect OTT to have a significant impact on pay TV subscribers because operators are responding to OTT with their own enhanced delivery offerings. Cable video's share is expected to decline as satellite video increases.
News categories: Infonetics Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite
- Booxmedia signs multiscreen OTT deal with DELTA of the Netherlands
- MStar integrates Verimatrix VideoMark forensic watermarking for UHD
- LG adds DIRECTV as content partner for webOS TVs
- Ziggo leads drop in Dutch TV subscriptions in Q2 2015
- CEA defines 'HDR Compatible' displays
- Opera TV debuts HbbTV 2.0 SDK for TV and STB manufacturers
- Com Hem unifies delivery of linear and multiscreen TV with Elemental
- ALi introduces STB/Sound Bar combo
- Half of U.S. internet homes own a connected TV device
- SCSA releases VIDITY licensing specifications
- Technicolor and Fraunhofer announce MPEG-H Audio licensing program
- 1,400 satellites to launch over the next decade
- DTH driving HDTV boom in South Asia
- 24.8 million connected TV sets in the top 5 Latin American countries
- HGI sets requirements for home network devices
- EU seeks views on the Satellite and Cable Directive
- SoftBank and Netflix Japan announce partnership
- SIXTY announces lightweight STB user interface framework
- Ziggo's triple-play market share in Holland under pressure
- Portugal adds 36,000 pay TV subscribers in 2Q 2015