Digital TV News: Iliad
Free includes 4K TV channel in basic offer
Nov 5, 2015 – French telecommunications provider, Free, has announced that its fibre subscribers now have access to the first 4K (Ultra HD) TV channel – Festival 4K. The channel is included in the basic offer of their Freebox package.
News categories: Iliad, Digital TV, Fibre, France, IPTV
Broadcom powers Free's Android TV 4K set-top box
Mar 11, 2015 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has announced that it is powering the first Ultra HD Android TV set-top box. Offered by Free, the Freebox STB delivers a suite of streaming, terrestrial, on-demand and recorded content at up to four times the resolution of current HD television.
News categories: Broadcom, Free, Rich Nelson, Sebastien Boutruche, Digital TV, France, IPTV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
France's Free launches first Android TV 4K STB and gateway
Mar 10, 2015 – Free, a subsidiary of France's Iliad Group, has announced the launch of its 'Freebox mini 4K' the world's first Ultra HD gateway/set-top box combination to run Android TV. Designed by Free's own Freebox R&D team, the gateway consists of two units - a Server and a Player.
News categories: Iliad, Digital TV, France, Gateway, IPTV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart Home
Iliad's Freebox v7 may be based on Android TV
Sep 24, 2014 – According to FRAndroid, the next Free set-top box, Freebox v7, could be based on Google's Android TV. ILIAD, the parent company of Free, has already indicated that the v7 box would be available in 2015.
News categories: Iliad, Digital TV, France, IPTV, Middleware, Set Top Box
Emerging markets driving growth in pay-TV market
Feb 18, 2014 – Infonetics Research has released excerpts from its 1st edition Pay TV Subscriber Database. The top 5 satellite providers by subscribers are DIRECTV US, DISH Network, DIRECTV Latin America, Tata Sky, and BSkyB.
News categories: Infonetics Research, Jeff Heynen, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Worldwide
IPTV and cable TV subscribers on opposite trajectories
Nov 7, 2013 – According to Infonetics Research's Pay TV Subscriber Database, from 4Q12 to 1Q13, IPTV subscribers grew over 6% worldwide, while cable video subs declined around 1%.
News categories: Infonetics Research, Jeff Heynen, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
World's 20 largest IPTV operators serve 83% of global IPTV households
Jun 6, 2013 – An SNL Kagan analysis of the world's 20 largest IPTV providers shows that a handful of operators dominate the global IPTV market with a geographic concentration in Western Europe and Asia-Pacific.
News categories: SNL Kagan, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Middleware, Subscribers
Cable TV Losing Subscribers to Satellite and IPTV
Nov 20, 2012 – Infonetics Research has released excerpts from its November 2012 Pay TV Services and Subscribers report, which forecasts and analyzes the telco Internet protocol television (IPTV), cable video, and satellite video services markets.
News categories: Infonetics, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite
Cable Still King of Pay-TV, but Satellite and IPTV Poised for Takeover
Jun 25, 2012 – Infonetics Research has released its latest Pay-TV Services and Subscribers report. The global pay-TV market, including cable, satellite, and IPTV video services, totaled $261 billion in 2011 and is forecast to grow to $371 billion by 2016.
News categories: Infonetics Research, Cable TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite
- DISH HopperGO lets customers take DVR on the road
- ALi to provide Irdeto-certified STB chipsets
- Ericsson chosen by KT Skylife for UHDTV expansion
- SES launches Ultra HD satellite test channel with HDR content
- Viaccess-Orca and NexStreaming integrate solutions
- First sign of saturation in U.S. video streaming market
- 1 in 8 homes in North America to own an Ultra HD TV by end-2016
- EU updates audiovisual rules and presents approach to online platforms
- Exset creates EPG ad-insertion middleware for emerging markets
- KT and SK Broadband launch UHD with Elemental
- DOCOMO and Nokia achieve world's first real time 8K video transmission over 5G
- Harmonic powers Airtel Digital TV's enhanced DTH HD offerings
- Indonesia's Transvision selects ADB TV client software
- Videocon d2h adds 0.59 million net subscribers in 1Q 2016
- ONT to broadcast Tunisian channels to West Africa on Eutelsat
- SERAPHIC browser powers TCL 4K UHD TVs for Latin America
- Vietnam's FPT Telecom selects ATEME encoders
- Over a third of Australians now watch TV 'On Demand'
- Sky Cable to launch DTH TV in the Philippines on SES satellites
- SES and K-NET partner to provide DTH and DTT to West Africa