Digital TV News: Intel
SpotX finds 80% of CTV viewers watch ad-supported content
Jul 15, 2020 – SpotX has released a global connected TV (CTV) viewership report. SpotX, in partnership with Mintel, surveyed consumers to identify viewing habits, as well as how receptive they are to ads.
News categories: SpotX, Mintel, Sean Buckley, Advertising, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT, USA
COVID-19 will accelerate pay-TV revenue decline in Australia
Jul 10, 2020 – Pay-TV service revenue in Australia is set to decline at a CAGR of 3.2% from $2.6bn in 2019 to $2.2bn in 2024 due to declining cable and DTH TV subscriptions and falling pay-TV ARPU, according to GlobalData.
News categories: GlobalData, Deepa Dhingra, Australia, Cable TV, COVID-19, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite
Movistar+ adds picture in picture and upgrades voice functionality
Jul 7, 2020 – Movistar+ fibre customers in Spain can now watch content from two different channels simultaneously on the screen. The operator has also added new features to its Voice Remote Control.
News categories: Movistar, Fernando Enrile, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Spain, UX
Fraunhofer HHI presents H.266/VVC video coding
Jul 6, 2020 – Fraunhofer HHI (together with partners including Apple, Ericsson, Intel, Huawei, Microsoft, Qualcomm, and Sony) is celebrating the release and official adoption of the video coding standard H.266/Versatile Video Coding (VVC).
News categories: Fraunhofer HHI, Media Coding Industry Forum, Benjamin Bross, Dr. Detlev Marpe, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, Worldwide
Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
Jul 1, 2020 – Alphonso has signed-up two more smart TV providers, Seiki and Skyworth, to embed Alphonso Video AI in their TVs. The company is also working with CBS and Cox Media to provide attribution to local advertisers in the U.S.
News categories: Alphonso, Seiki, Skyworth, Ashish Chordia, Advertising, Content Identification, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA, Worldwide
FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
Jun 30, 2020 – The FCC has formally designated Huawei and ZTE as covered companies for the purposes of the agency’s ban on the use of universal service support to purchase equipment or services from companies posing a national security threat.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, Ajit Pai, Regulation, USA
Netflix, Hulu user numbers fell as COVID-19 measures were relaxed
Jun 25, 2020 – The surge in users of subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) services during the stay-at-home period was not always sustained once people were allowed to move around more freely, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, David Mercer, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Peacock to be available on VIZIO and LG Smart TVs at launch
Jun 24, 2020 – Peacock will be available on VIZIO and LG Smart TVs when it launches on July 15. Peacock will offer a free tier, plus a Peacock Premium service at $4.99 per month - upgradable to ad-free for an extra $5 per month.
News categories: Peacock, NBCUniversal, VIZIO, LG, Maggie McLean Suniewick, Matt Bond, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Comscore releases 2020 ‘State of OTT’ report
Jun 24, 2020 – The OTT landscape in 2020 is rapidly changing due to the growth of OTT services, content and devices as well as the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on consumer behavior, according to Comscore (Nasdaq: SCOR).
News categories: Comscore, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
- Youfone Android TV service powered by 24i and Amino
- Synamedia launches addressable advertising solution
- Liberty Global to acquire Sunrise Communications by tender offer
- FOX News launches international D2C streaming service
- Ten carriers in Germany and Austria choose Ocilion for IPTV
- BluTV DTH launches in Brazil on EUTELSAT 65 West A
- Viya TV+ launches in the US Virgin Islands with Mirada
- OTT TV and video revenues at $83 billion in 2019
- 41.4% of TVs in Latin America are Smart
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 51,000 in 2Q 2020
- Pirate subscription TV services now a billion-dollar U.S. industry
- PAOK FC OTT platform built with Insys Sport on AWS
- SLING TV in-app guide integrates local OTA channels on LG Smart TVs
- Conviva releases State of Streaming Q2 report
- Stay-at-home providing springboard for French SVOD
- Survata announces enhanced CTV measurement suite
- Ofcom releases Media Nations 2020 report
- RADIO.COM expands connected TV footprint with Vewd
- NAGRA multi-DRM selected for Grupo Express OTT service in Argentina
- V-Nova and NETINT collaborate on MPEG-5 LCEVC transcoding