Digital TV News: International Telecommunication Union
Synamedia, Thomson Broadcast, Triveni Digital offer ATSC 3.0 Channel-in-the-Cloud
May 6, 2020 – Synamedia has announced an ATSC 3.0-ready cloud solution with Thomson Broadcast and Triveni Digital, providing a fast way for station operators to trial ATSC 3.0 with minimal disruption to their existing stations before investing in on-premise equipment.
News categories: Synamedia, Thomson Broadcast, Triveni Digital, Julien Signes, Aby Alexander, Mark Simpson, ATSC 3.0, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
ITU approves ATSC 3.0 as a recommended DTT standard
Jan 2, 2020 – Sinclair Broadcast (Nasdaq: SBGI) and ONE Media 3.0 have applauded the International Telecommunication Union's approval of ATSC 3.0 for use by any country in the world. The U.S. Delegation proposed ATSC 3.0 to the ITU in April 2019.
News categories: Sinclair Broadcast, ONE Media 3.0, International Telecommunication Union, Christopher Ripley, ATSC 3.0, Digital TV, Terrestrial, Worldwide
U.S. proposes ATSC 3.0 as an international digital broadcast standard
Apr 8, 2019 – The U.S. has proposed to the ITU adoption of the ATSC 3.0 digital broadcast standard for use by all countries in the world. The proposal is the first major step in the evaluation process for worldwide acceptance of the standard.
News categories: Advanced Television Systems Committee, International Telecommunication Union, Jerald Fritz, ATSC 3.0, Digital TV, Worldwide
Frequency planning process finalized for DTT transition in Central America and the Caribbean
Sep 19, 2018 – The ITU, in close collaboration with COMTELCA, CTU and CITEL, has finalized the cycle of regional frequency coordination meetings on the use of the VHF band (174-216 MHz) and the UHF band (470-806 MHz) in the Central America and Caribbean region.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Houlin Zhao, François Rancy, Caribbean, Central America, Digital TV, Regulation, Terrestrial
South Africa begins analogue switch-off
Oct 25, 2016 – South Africa began the first phase of Analogue Switch-Off (ASO) on Friday, 28 October 2016 in the Northern Cape. This major national milestone forms part of the country’s Broadcasting Digital Migration (BDM) process.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
ITU announces new standard for High Dynamic Range TV
Jul 5, 2016 – The ITU has announced a standard for High Dynamic Range Television. High Dynamic Range Television (HDR-TV) builds on the superior colour fidelity of ITU’s Ultra-High Definition Television (UHDTV) Recommendation BT.2020.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Houlin Zhao, François Rancy, Yukihiro Nishida, Andy Quested, Digital TV, Smart TV, Worldwide
GS Group sells controlling stake in Cambodia's One TV pay-DTT project
Mar 24, 2016 – GS Group has announced the sale of its controlling stake in One TV, Cambodia's first pay-DTT project, completing the project’s investment cycle. The Royal Group of Companies purchased the majority stake in the operator.
News categories: One TV, GS Group, Cambodia, MnA, Terrestrial
EMEA UHF spectrum to remain with DTT until at least 2023
Nov 26, 2015 – At the ITU’s World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC-15) representatives of over 150 governments took the decision that UHF spectrum will remain exclusively allocated to terrestrial TV services in ITU Region 1 well into the next decade.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, International Telecommunication Union, Simon Fell, Africa, Digital TV, Europe, Middle-East, Terrestrial
ITU approves standards for advanced audio broadcasting technology
Oct 19, 2015 – The ITU has approved ITU-R BS.2088-0. The standard allows a single file to carry a complete audio programme containing audio samples as well as metadata for any combination of object, channel and scene-based audio.
News categories: International Telecommunication Union, Houlin Zhao, François Rancy, Broadcasting, Digital TV, Media Player
- Synamedia launches addressable advertising solution
- Ten carriers in Germany and Austria choose Ocilion for IPTV
- BluTV DTH launches in Brazil on EUTELSAT 65 West A
- Viya TV+ launches in the US Virgin Islands with Mirada
- OTT TV and video revenues at $83 billion in 2019
- 41.4% of TVs in Latin America are Smart
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers down 51,000 in 2Q 2020
- Pirate subscription TV services now a billion-dollar U.S. industry
- PAOK FC OTT platform built with Insys Sport on AWS
- SLING TV in-app guide integrates local OTA channels on LG Smart TVs
- Conviva releases State of Streaming Q2 report
- Stay-at-home providing springboard for French SVOD
- Survata announces enhanced CTV measurement suite
- Ofcom releases Media Nations 2020 report
- RADIO.COM expands connected TV footprint with Vewd
- NAGRA multi-DRM selected for Grupo Express OTT service in Argentina
- V-Nova and NETINT collaborate on MPEG-5 LCEVC transcoding
- ViacomCBS to launch connected video ad platform
- Bell Canada releases Android TV 4K HDR streaming box
- ORS chooses 3SS to deliver simpliTV service in Austria