Digital TV News: Jump
Limelight Networks releases State of Online Video 2019 report
Oct 24, 2019 – Around the world, streaming video viewing has reached an all-time high of six hours, 48 minutes a week, with 82% of viewers binge-watching shows online, according to a report from Limelight Networks (Nasdaq: LLNW).
News categories: Limelight Networks, Michael Milligan, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
TiVo launches TiVo+ streaming platform and TiVo EDGE STB
Oct 1, 2019 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) has revealed TiVo+, its video network, and TiVo EDGE, a device for home entertainment viewing. TiVo+ delivers live and on-demand streaming to viewers in an app-free environment. TiVo EDGE is a 4K UHD box, designed to work with an HD antenna or digital cable.
News categories: TiVo Corp, Dave Shull, Cable TV, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, USA, UX
U.S. pay TV households to decline 4.2% this year
Aug 6, 2019 – Cord-cutting in the US continues to accelerate, with the number of cord-cutting households jumping another 19.2% this year. According to eMarketer, the number of households without a traditional pay TV subscription is quickly approaching those that have one.
News categories: eMarketer, Eric Haggstrom, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Comark appointed as DigiCAP reseller for ATSC 3.0 solutions
Jul 31, 2019 – DigiCAP has appointed COMARK as an authorized reseller and service provider of the DigiCAP hardware and software product line. COMARK will be focusing on the North American broadcast DTV market for ATSC 3.0 solutions.
News categories: COMARK, DigiCAP, Tim Hosmer, Sang Jin Yoon, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Gateway, North America
U.S. consumer technology sales to exceed $400bn in 2019
Jul 15, 2019 – The growing popularity of streaming services, artificial intelligence (AI)-enabled emerging devices and in-vehicle technology will help drive the U.S. consumer tech industry to a record-breaking $401 billion in retail revenues in 2019, according to the CTA.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Gary Shapiro, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
Third of Netflix subscribers might switch to a cheaper, ad-supported tier
Jul 9, 2019 – There has been speculation that Netflix will introduce an ad-based tier. According to TDG, a third of Netflix users would consider changing to such a less-expensive option, with more than half of those moderately likely to or definitely would switch.
News categories: The Diffusion Group, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Sky Deutschland and MX1 expand collaboration
Jun 18, 2019 – MX1 has agreed a service agreement extension with Sky Deutschland. In particular, the scope of MX1’s contingency service will be expanded to include Sky Deutschland's over-the-top (OTT) signals as well as its main broadcasts.
News categories: MX1, Sky Deutschland, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Germany
Mobile time surpasses TV time in the U.S.
Jun 5, 2019 – This year, for the first time, US adults will spend more time using their mobile devices than they will spend watching TV, with smartphone use dominating mobile time, according to eMarketer.
News categories: eMarketer, Yoram Wurmser, Eric Haggstrom, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, USA
Insys Video automates celebrity identification and inappropriate content detection
May 16, 2019 – Insys Video has announced technology to automate identification of celebrities and inappropriate content in OTT content. Viewers can, for example, find the exact point in the show where a celebrity appears, while nudity and violence can be automatically flagged and blurred.
News categories: Insys Video, Krzysztof Bartkowski, Big Data, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, UX, Worldwide
- Fincons Group joins Deutsche TV-Plattform
- Samba TV taps Oracle Moat to measure viewability of CTV ads
- Amazon Prime Video app added to TiVo devices at Atlantic Broadband
- TekSavvy TV launches Cloud PVR and advanced features
- CJ Hello deploys ATEME transcoding solution
- US: Netflix grabs the most attention, but its reign will be challenged
- AWS compute and storage available at the edge of 5G networks
- FOX selects AWS as its cloud and machine learning provider
- TiVo launches Prime Video App to its U.S. pay-TV operator customers
- KPN integrates Amazon Prime Video into the TV menu
- Vodafone UK offers Apple TV 4K with unlimited broadband and mobile data
- A1 Bulgaria launches advanced TV with Zappware
- Tru Optik and Anzu.io to bring targeting to in-game advertising
- 14.5 million Australians now paying TV subscriptions
- EE hosts 5G-powered multi-location augmented reality gig
- Four-fifths of broadcasters considering personalised ads
- 3Q 2019 TV shipments grow 16.8% QoQ owing to peak season
- Worldwide spending on AR/VR expected to reach $18.8bn in 2020
- 13.7 million EU citizens streaming unauthorised IPTV
- WIND-Hellas launching Cloud Recordings with Zappware