Digital TV News: Media Networks
Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
Aug 19, 2019 – ACCESS is acquiring from Viacom (VIMN) the right to make linear feeds of MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon available in German-language for integration into in-car infotainment systems being developed by German car manufacturers.
News categories: ACCESS CO., Viacom, Dr Neale Foster, Raffaele Annecchino, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Germany, In-Car, Middleware
MOBITV adds $50m in funding
Jul 1, 2019 – MOBITV has closed over $50M in funding from Oak Investment Partners, Ally Financial, and Cedar Grove Partners. The funding will be used to accelerate the growth of the company’s international footprint, while it continues to strengthen the MOBITV CONNECT platform for Pay TV operators.
News categories: MOBITV, Oak Investment Partners, Charlie Nooney, Bandel Carano, Apps, Digital TV, IPTV, USA, Venture Capital, Worldwide
Fox Corp and ad agencies join Project OAR addressable TV consortium
Jun 13, 2019 – Fox Corporation has joined the Project OAR addressable TV advertising consortium. In addition, Project OAR has formed an Agency Advisory Committee with participation from Publicis Media, Omnicom Media Group, GroupM, IPG/Magna, Dentsu Aegis Network, Havas and Horizon Media.
News categories: Project OAR, Fox Corp, Dan Callahan, Jonathan Steuer, Helen Katz, Zeev Neumeier, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Disney+ set to launch in U.S. on November 12
Apr 11, 2019 – The Walt Disney Company has presented an extensive overview of its comprehensive direct-to-consumer strategy, including presentations on Hulu, Hotstar, ESPN+, and the upcoming Disney+ service at its Investor Day, which took place on the Company’s studio lot.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, Robert A. Iger, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
Telstra and Broadpeak launch Intelligent Device Optimization solution
Apr 4, 2019 – Telstra, in partnership with Broadpeak, has announced the launch of Intelligent Device Optimization (IDO). Based on device detection, the solution utilizes CDN selection, real-time analytics, and mobile app SDKs to orchestrate optimizations that reduce costs and increase QoE.
News categories: Broadpeak, Telstra, Jacques Le Mancq, Andrew Phelagti, Australia, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Mobile, NABShow, QoE, Worldwide
U.S. media companies and VIZIO form addressable advertising consortium
Mar 12, 2019 – U.S. media and technology companies, in collaboration with smart TV company VIZIO, have announced the formation of a consortium dedicated to the development and deployment of a new, open standard for addressable advertising on connected TVs.
News categories: VIZIO, Project OAR, William Wang, Mike Dean, Jesse Redniss, Dave Clark, Jodie McAfee, Advertising, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Viacom agrees to acquire Pluto TV
Jan 22, 2019 – Viacom (NASDAQ: VIAB, VIA) has announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Pluto TV, the leading free streaming television service in the U.S., for $340 million in cash.
News categories: Viacom, Pluto TV, Bob Bakish, Tom Ryan, Digital TV, MnA, OTT, USA
45% of Thai consumers use pirated TV boxes
Nov 14, 2018 – In a recent study, commissioned by the Asia Video Industry Association's Coalition Against Piracy, into the content viewing behaviour of Thai consumers, it was revealed that 45% of consumers use a TV box which can be used to stream pirated television and video content.
News categories: Asia Video Industry Association, True Visions, Neil Gane, Sompan Charumilinda, Content Protection, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Thailand
ESPN+ hits one million paid subscribers in just over five months
Sep 20, 2018 – The Walt Disney Company’s Direct-to-Consumer and International (DTCI) segment has announced that ESPN+, the multi-sport, direct-to-consumer subscription streaming service from DTCI in collaboration with ESPN, has surpassed one million paying subscribers in just over five months since its April 2018 launch.
News categories: ESPN, Walt Disney, Jimmy Pitaro, Kevin Mayer, Digital TV, OTT, Subscribers, USA
- Spearad launches monetization technology for addressable TV and audio
- SmartLabs migrates legacy boxes for StarNet TV in Moldova
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS