Digital TV News: Michael Inouye
TV and movies, not short-form video, to drive online video market
Jan 16, 2015 – According to ABI Research, the online video market is expected to reach over US$56 billion by 2019, with a 6 year CAGR of 23.1%. Short-form video is expected to make up US$13 billion of the total.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
Mobiles with 4K screens to reach 478m units by 2019
Aug 15, 2014 – 2015 will see the launch of 4K/Ultra HD mobile devices. Considering the relatively close proximity of the screen to the user it is possible for some consumers to see and benefit from these higher resolutions.
News categories: ABI Research, Sam Rosen, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, Worldwide
Home security and home automation opportunity for pay TV operators
Jun 3, 2014 – Home security and home automation represent opportunity for pay TV operators. Nearly 30% of North American households are expected to have a managed smart home automation system installed by 2019, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Sam Rosen, Michael Inouye, Gateway, Market Research, Middleware, Smart Home, Worldwide
Global VOD/EST and DVD/Blu-ray sales to pass $43Bn in 2019
May 1, 2014 – Worldwide VOD rentals (OTT and pay TV operator), electronic sell-through (EST), and DVD/Blu-ray disc sales are expected to grow 40% from 2013 to 2019 – growing from USD 30.6B in 2013 to over 43B in 2019.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Blu-ray, Cable TV, DVD, IPTV, Market Research, Mobile, OTT, Satellite, Worldwide
Global home network penetration to pass 33% by 2018
Apr 9, 2014 – Worldwide home network penetration is expected to climb from 24.8% in 2013 to 33.2% by 2018, according to ABI Research. Growth is driven by the continued spread of broadband services and demand for multiscreen video.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Two-in-five Pay TV households to have STB apps by 2019
Feb 28, 2014 – In 2013 ABI Research estimates one out of every ten pay TV households had access to applications on the set-top box. By 2019 nearly 40% of pay TV households should have access to similar services and features.
News categories: ABI Research, Sam Rosen, Michael Inouye, Apps, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Mobile video growth to continue to outpace viewing on connected CE
Feb 10, 2014 – Despite continued growth of online video viewing on connected CE devices and excitement from new platforms, annual increases in mobile online viewing are higher than any other category, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Sam Rosen, Michael Inouye, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
North America to be first to 5% 4K TV household penetration
Nov 6, 2013 – Asia-Pacific, notably, China, is expected to lead 4K (or Ultra HD) TV unit shipments. However, the North American market is anticipated to be the first region to eclipse 5% (in 2017) and 10% (by end of 2018) of TV households, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
Amidst strong competition Smart Set-top Boxes and Dongles continue to grow
Aug 26, 2013 – The smart set-top box and dongle market is expected to pass 18 million units in 2013--higher than originally forecasted due to the arrival of Google's Chromecast device. Overall the market is expected to grow with a 10.8% CAGR (2013 to 2018), says ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box
- Global AVOD expenditure to double
- Gem Shopping Network to use Comscore TV measurement
- United Group makes strategic investment in Forthnet
- Disney+ and Apple TV+ both see success during first six months in the market
- Comcast, Charter and ViacomCBS announce Blockgraph partnership
- Britbox app now available on BT TV set-top boxes
- Conviva partners with Akamai on QoE intelligence
- ATRESMEDIA and smartclip deepen HbbTV advertising partnership
- Bouygues Telecom replaces set-top box with Smart TV app
- Comscore, Kantar extend measurement partnership with Auditel Italy
- Pay TV revenues to plunge to $150 billion
- Cable-Tec Expo unable to go ahead
- Sisvel announces first VP9 and AV1 patent licensees
- Comcast to bring HBO Max to Xfinity customers
- HBO Max launched in the U.S.
- Nordic households spending €149pm on media and access services
- SES unveils results of Philippines TV market reception survey
- Over half of U.S. adults watching more TV since the pandemic
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Las Vegas
- Shifts in viewing behavior continue during COVID-19 pandemic