Digital TV News: NHK
Beamr shows live 8K HEVC software encoding on a single AMD EPYC processor
Sep 12, 2019 – Beamr has announced, with AMD (NASDAQ: AMD), that it has used Beamr 5, operating on a single socket AMD EPYC 7742 processor, to encode 79 frames per second in real-time at 8K resolution and with 10-bit color required for HDR.
News categories: Beamr, AMD, Eli Lubitch, Raghu Nambiar, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IBCShowcase, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Over 233 million 4K TVs to ship in 2024
Jun 27, 2019 – As worldwide TV household penetration is quite saturated, the flat panel TV market has been driven by consumer adoption of TVs with higher resolution, larger screen size, and connected and integrated applications and services, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Khin Sandi Lynn, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
World Cup pushes global TV shipments to 221 Million units in 2018
Mar 7, 2019 – The global TV market grew 2.9% in 2018, reaching 221 million units, due to a surge in the first half as many consumers upgraded their TVs to watch the Football World Cup. Shipments of richly featured TV sets continued to grow, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Paul Gray, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
NHK partners with Eutelsat to launch world’s first 8K channel
Dec 3, 2018 – NHK has partnered with Eutelsat (NYSE: ETL) to launch the world’s first 8K network: BS8K. A live broadcast took place on December 2nd from the Vatican where images were transmitted to Tokyo via EUTELSAT 12 West B with an uplink provided by M-three Satcom.
News categories: Eutelsat, NHK, M-three Satcom, Gerry O’Sullivan, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite
NHK launches world's first 8K broadcasting service
Nov 27, 2018 – NHK will launch two new channels, NHK BS4K and NHK BS8K, on December 1st. NHK has been developing ultra-high definition 8K image systems since 1995 and NHK BS8K will be the world's first 8K channel.
News categories: NHK, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite
4K UHD poised to take over the living room
Oct 8, 2018 – 2018 will be the year 4K UHD moves mainstream, accounting for nearly 50% of all TVs shipped worldwide by year end, according to Futuresource Consulting. As with HD, 4K UHD is being driven by TV display purchases. Although there is a content gap, that gap is being filled.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Tristan Veale, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
ACCESS and ZEASN usher in next gen Smart TV experiences
Sep 6, 2018 – ACCESS and ZEASN have announced that they have combined ACCESS’ expertise in connected entertainment with ZEASN’s smart TV app store and embedded OS. The joint solution is based on ACCESS’ NetFront™ Browser BE and ZEASN’s TV store and WhaleOS.
News categories: ACCESS CO, ZEASN, Dr. Neale Foster, Jason He, Apps, Digital TV, HTML5, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, Worldwide
DSCC and Insight Media launch 8K TV report
Feb 12, 2018 – Display Supply Chain Consultants (DSCC) and Insight Media have announce the launch of a report covering the latest developments in 8K TV technology. The report covers all aspects of the ecosystem required to make 8K a reality.
News categories: DSCC, Insight Media, Bob O’Brien, Chris Chinnock, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Travelxp, world’s first 4K HDR channel, launches on HOTBIRD
Sep 28, 2017 – Eutelsat has announced the launch in Europe on 1 October of Travelxp 4K on HOTBIRD. Travelxp 4K, the world’s first 4K HDR channel, will use HOTBIRD’s penetration into cable and IPTV networks across Europe, the Middle East and North Africa.
News categories: Eutelsat, Travelxp 4K, Prashant Chothani, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, Middle-East, Satellite
- Google's share of global digital media revenues declined in Q2
- First Media launches Android TV STB with Widevine CAS in Indonesia
- EBOX deploys Technicolor Android TV set-tops in Québec
- Conviva releases Q3 2020 State of Streaming report
- Realtek selects Allegro DVT H.266/VVC compliance streams
- Russian SVOD consumer spend to increase 1,000% by 2024
- A1 selects XroadMedia for content discovery and recommendations
- Skyworth and 3SS create Netflix-ready Android TV platform
- CANAL+ extends satellite agreements with SES for Europe and Africa
- European Connected TV Initiative to explore advertising opportunities
- Accessible TV Guide rolls out on Freeview Play
- Spain’s AgileTV migrates to Verimatrix Secure Cloud
- Promwad offers videoconferencing and 'watch party' solution for TV
- Phoenix Model Market gets ATSC 3.0 Single Frequency Network
- Magenta Telekom deploys Whip Media Content Value Management platform
- Pay-TV revenue in Philippines to grow at 4.0% CAGR over next five years
- Israel’s RGE chooses Kaltura to power Kids Cloud TV service
- Over 40% of video consumption hours now on mobile for U.S. Gen Z
- T-Mobile USA launches TV bundles and Android TV STB
- TenTime uses NexPlayer to launch Arabic SVOD service