Digital TV News: National Association of Broadcasters
Cleveland field test shows ATSC 3.0 UHD HDR in a challenging urban environment
May 23, 2019 – In a field test conducted under the auspices of the NAB in Cleveland, OH, an engineering team of industry participants showed how ATSC 3.0 can enhance the technological performance and economic value of existing broadcast infrastructures.
News categories: Technicolor, National Association of Broadcasters, Alan Stein, Kelly Williams, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
Dooya TV picks dotstudioPRO SaaS distribution platform
Apr 12, 2019 – Dooya Media Group (DMG) has signed a deal with dotstudioPRO for its AVOD offering, Dooya TV. dotstudioPRO's cloud-based distribution and monetization platform allows Dooya TV to launch a variety of features and provides flexibility in combining business models.
News categories: dotstudioPRO, Dooya, Joe Pascual, John T. Wells, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, OTT, USA
ATBA and ARK create low-power TV standards and practices group
Apr 8, 2019 – The Advanced Television Broadcasting Alliance (ATBA) has announced the formation of the LPTV Industry Standards and Practices Group. The group will encourage the LPTV industry to work together to operate and monetize new TV services based on ATSC 3.0.
News categories: ATBA, ARK Mediacom, Lee Miller, Caleb Weiss, Vern Fotheringham, ATSC, Digital TV, USA
HISPASAT shows on-demand satellite video at NAB 2019
Apr 8, 2019 – During NAB, visitors to the HISPASAT stand will be able to experience a hybrid television demo which provides on-demand satellite video services (Push VoD), allowing broadcasters to offer a complete user experience combining on-demand content with linear TV.
News categories: HISPASAT, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, Satellite, Worldwide
Intel and Netflix announce SVT-AV1 video codec at The NAB Show
Apr 8, 2019 – At The NAB Show, Intel and Netflix announced a high-performance video codec that is available as open source and royalty-free to content creators, developers and service providers. Scalable Video Technology for AV1 (SVT-AV1) offers performance and scalability in video processing.
News categories: Intel Corp, Netflix, Lynn Comp, David Ronca, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, NABShow, OTT, Worldwide
U.S. proposes ATSC 3.0 as an international digital broadcast standard
Apr 8, 2019 – The U.S. has proposed to the ITU adoption of the ATSC 3.0 digital broadcast standard for use by all countries in the world. The proposal is the first major step in the evaluation process for worldwide acceptance of the standard.
News categories: Advanced Television Systems Committee, International Telecommunication Union, Jerald Fritz, ATSC, Digital TV, Worldwide
Phoenix Model Market to add second transmission site and SFN broadcasts
Apr 4, 2019 – The Phoenix Model Market project will soon expand beyond a single Next-Gen TV transmission tower to include an additional Single Frequency Network (SFN) station, to help broadcasters evaluate the benefits of SFN transmissions.
News categories: Pearl TV, Phoenix Model Market, Anne Schelle, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
Nielsen audience measurement watermark transmitted over ATSC 3.0
Apr 3, 2019 – The NAB has announced the successful transmission of a Nielsen audience measurement watermark – inaudible signals in a program’s audio that helps identify the program for audience measurement purposes – using the new ATSC 3.0 broadcast transmission standard.
News categories: National Association of Broadcasters, Nielsen, Sam Matheny, Catherine Herkovic, ATSC, Big Data, Digital TV, USA
SK Telecom, Harman and Sinclair to commercialize in-car ATSC 3.0
Jan 10, 2019 – SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM) and Sinclair Broadcast (Nasdaq: SBGI) have announced that with Harman they intend to jointly develop and commercialize digital broadcasting network-based automotive electronics technology for global markets.
News categories: Sinclair Broadcast, SK Telecom, Harman, Chris Ripley, Park Jung-ho, Dinesh Paliwal, ATSC, CES, Digital TV, In-Car, Korea, NABShow, USA, Worldwide
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS
- Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018
- LG Uplus adds 92,000 IPTV subscribers in 2Q 2019