Digital TV News: Nine
Almost 14 million Australians have subscription or pay TV
Jul 1, 2019 – Research from Roy Morgan shows that 13,975,000 Australians aged 14+ now have access to some form of Pay TV/Subscription TV or Subscription Video on Demand (SVOD). Netflix is the clear market leader with nearly 11.5 million Australians having a subscription.
News categories: Roy Morgan, Michele Levine, Australia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
Over 20 million monthly active users for Tubi
Jun 24, 2019 – Tubi has announced record growth in the first half of 2019. The company has surpassed 20 million monthly active users (MAU), and customers watched over 94 million hours of content during May. In addition, Tubi had the single biggest month of revenue in the company’s history.
News categories: Tubi, Farhad Massoudi, Digital TV, OTT, Subscribers, Worldwide
Three-quarters of pay TV operators to gain subs
Jun 20, 2019 – According to Digital TV Research, three-quarters of the world’s pay TV operators will gain subscribers between 2018 and 2024 with two-thirds increasing their revenues over the same period. The top 50 operators will continue to account for two-thirds of subscribers.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
Brightcove publishes Asia OTT TV research report
Jun 17, 2019 – Brightcove (NASDAQ: BCOV) has published its annual Asia OTT TV market study. The study polled 9,000 participants across the following nine countries: Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, and Vietnam.
News categories: Brightcove, YouGov, Greg Armshaw, Asia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Consumer spending on technology to reach $1.3 trillion in 2019
May 9, 2019 – Consumer spending on technology is forecast to reach $1.32 trillion in 2019, an increase of 3.5% over 2018. According to IDC, consumer purchases of traditional and emerging technologies will remain strong over the 2018-2022 forecast period.
News categories: IDC, Tom Mainelli, Jessica Goepfert, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
Telenor and Axiata enter discussions to merge Asian operations
May 6, 2019 – Telenor and Axiata Group are in discussions regarding a potential non-cash combination of their telecom and infrastructure assets in Asia, in which Telenor would take a majority stake. It is anticipated that Telenor will own 56.5% and Axiata will own 43.5%.
News categories: Telenor, Axiata, Gunn Wærsted, Sigve Brekke, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, MnA, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Thailand
Hulu U.S. customer base passes 28 million
May 1, 2019 – At 'Hulu '19 Presentation', Hulu revealed continued rapid growth, new original programming and talent deals that expand its content offering, as well as brand initiatives, advertising products and UX enhancements that bolster its goal of becoming the #1 choice for TV.
News categories: Hulu, Randy Freer, Advertising, Digital TV, OTT, Subscribers, USA
Hackers using piracy devices and apps to infect users with malware
Apr 25, 2019 – Hackers are tapping into a growing consumer trend, the use of illicit devices and apps to access pirated movies, TV shows and live programming, to spread malware and exploit unsuspecting users, a Digital Citizens Alliance investigation has found.
News categories: Digital Citizens Alliance, Dark Wolfe Consulting, Tom Galvin, Apps, Content Protection, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, USA, Worldwide
Rohde & Schwarz wins DVB-T2 transmitter contract in Egypt
Apr 18, 2019 – The Egyptian National Media Authority (ENMA) has selected Rohde & Schwarz transmitters to support their DVB-T2 network. The equipment is to be commissioned by mid-June 2019 in time for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations soccer tournament.
News categories: Rohde & Schwarz, National Media Authority, Rommer Balanon, Mervat Hassan, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Egypt
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum releases sports OTT report
- One million downloads for Sinclair's STIRR app
- Cifra and Flussonic offer integrated IPTV/OTT solution
- Mirada to empower pay TV operators with Netflix integration
- DNA sells pay-DTT business to Digita
- Socionext releases 8K-capable live video encoding unit
- Speedcast, In Aria! and Telespazio announce joint service offering
- Operator 5G boosted by strong projections for 5G PCs and tablets
- Block Communications to use Comscore local TV ratings and Advanced Audiences
- 27% of US broadband households engage in some form of piracy or account sharing
- Nielsen's TV ratings platform moves to AWS
- NEC demonstrates live 8K video transmission over 5G in France
- U.S. consumer technology sales to exceed $400bn in 2019
- AirTV 4K streaming stick integrates Sling TV, Netflix and OTA channels
- Dalet to acquire Ooyala Flex Media Platform business
- TekSavvy TV launching across Ontario
- Cyfrowy Polsat launches OTT TV via new set-top-box
- Hotstar sets streaming world record with 25.3 million concurrent viewers
- Amino acquires 24i Media
- egta survey shows continued transformation of the advertising industry