Digital TV News: Noah Horowitz
U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
Aug 13, 2019 – Consumers saved approximately $1.6 billion in energy costs in 2018 alone as a result of the voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement among pay-TV providers, manufacturers, energy efficiency advocates and the CTA and NCTA.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, NCTA, Natural Resources Defense Council, Doug Johnson, Neal Goldberg, Noah Horowitz, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, USA
Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
Aug 12, 2019 – Most of the more than 100 million smart speakers and video streaming devices installed in America’s homes are quite energy efficient, the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) has said in the first independent report on their electricity use.
News categories: NRDC, Noah Horowitz, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart Home, USA
U.S. STB energy efficiency agreement saves $3.5 billion
Aug 9, 2018 – Consumers have saved $3.5 billion, and more than 20 million metric tons of CO2 emissions have been avoided as a result of the voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement among pay-TV providers, manufacturers and energy efficiency advocates, according to D+R International.
News categories: CTA, ACEEE, NRDC, NCTA, D+R International, Doug Johnson, Jennifer Amann, Noah Horowitz, Neal Goldberg, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA
Energy efficient STBs saved US consumers $646m in 2015
Aug 9, 2016 – Consumers saved approximately $646 million in energy costs in 2015 as a result of the voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement among U.S. pay-TV providers, consumer technology manufacturers and energy efficiency advocates.
News categories: Natural Resources Defense Council, Noah Horowitz, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, USA
Ultra HD TVs could add $1 billion to U.S. viewers' annual energy bills
Nov 17, 2015 – The latest Ultra HD TVs use 30% more energy than their HD predecessors, which could add $1 billion to U.S. viewers' annual utility bills if energy-saving improvements are not expanded, according to the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC).
News categories: Natural Resources Defense Council, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
Energy efficient set-top boxes saving hundreds of millions of dollars
Aug 28, 2014 – A new report released shows that the voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement between the pay-TV industry, consumer electronics manufacturers and energy efficiency advocates has saved American consumers approximately $168 million in energy bills.
News categories: CEA, Natural Resources Defense Council, NCTA, Noah Horowitz, Michael Powell, Gary Shapiro, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA
U.S. Energy Dept., Pay TV industry and energy efficiency groups announce STB energy conservation agreement
Dec 23, 2013 – The U.S. Energy Department, NRDC, ACEEE, ASAP, CEA and the NCTA have announced non-regulatory energy efficiency standards for pay-TV set-top boxes that will result in energy savings for more than 90 million U.S. homes.
News categories: Consumer Electronics Association, NCTA, Energy Department, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA
CableLabs®-Energy Lab Tests Verify Significant Set-Top Power Savings from 'Light Sleep' Mode
Mar 19, 2012 – Digital set-top boxes being deployed by the U.S. cable industry this year are projected to offer energy savings of 20 percent or more when the devices shift into a new 'light sleep' mode, according to recent evaluations by CableLabs-Energy Lab.
News categories: CableLabs, Cable TV, Set Top Box, USA
DVR, Cable and Satellite Boxes Waste $2 Billion of Electricity Every Year in U.S.
Jun 14, 2011 – NRDC and Ecos have found that in 2010 the electricity required to operate all U.S. set-top boxes resulted in 16 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions, and cost households more than $3 billion.
News categories: NRDC, Cable TV, DVR, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA
- Highest ever Samsung Smart TV sales in 3Q 2020
- Orange France delivers targeted ads with SoftAtHome video player
- Velocix unveils cloud-native video personalisation service
- DIRECTV GO now available in Brazil
- VR consumer content revenue to exceed $7 billion in 2025
- XroadMedia to power hyper-personalization at ZEE5
- Ericsson predicts 40% of mobile subscriptions in 2026 will be 5G
- Pay TV revenue in New Zealand to follow -3.1% CAGR
- iQIYI International available for ZEASN-based smart devices
- Growing demand for smart displays driving smart speaker sales
- Forthnet becomes part of United Group
- Anevia powers Skymedia's SkyGo service in Mongolia
- UK marketers expect to spend more on Advanced TV ads in the next 12 months
- NetRange moves browser to the Cloud for low-cost Smart TVs
- Over 13 billion Smart Home devices in use by 2025
- MultiChoice picks Metrological to deliver OTT services on DStv
- Oregan Networks builds on Amlogic's Android TV reference platform
- Bitmovin and OKAST team up to deliver live and VOD streaming
- 61% of US broadband households subscribe to two or more OTT services
- 14% of Australians plan to cancel pay TV as a result of the pandemic